Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Brushing LOs teeth

I've been 'brushing' since the first tooth popped up, but now that LO is older, she won't let me brush her teeth.  How do you get them to sit still?  Any tricks you can share? TIA!

Re: Brushing LOs teeth

• It can still be a struggle and I'm guessing it will be for a while.  I sit him in my lap and lean him back in my left arm - craddled like.  I say "time to brush our teeth!"  For awhile he was squirming and clamping his mouth shut (arrggh!).  So I would say open and open my mouth.  I do the bottom front first, and I sing a little song "brush-a, brush-a ...etc" Then I give him a second and I say, Now the top! - he hates the top the most.  Then I give him a second and we do the back - which I say "let's tickle those gums!"  And then I brush his back gums - where a molar are two have popped through and I say "tickle, tickle!"  And he usually giggles.

That sounds really involved but it really only takes a minute or 2.  Basically I just try to make it fun and do it as quickly and gently as possibly.  And then I always let him hold the toothbrush afterwards.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby #2!

BabyFruit Ticker 

• My situation is exactly that of Tapthathank. It hasn't gotten easier, he just fights me a little less now a days. Also, I always do it after bath time. I give him the toothbrush (while he's still in the tub) so he can have a few minutes with it (he just sucks the bristles). Then when I take him out of the tub, I brush. I, too, lean him back in my left arm and brush away (gently and QUICK as hell). 

• Loading the player...
  • I let her sit in the sink and play with the faucet while she lets me brush her teeth, but DD is pretty small so she fits easily.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Married 1/2/99.
    TTC since 4/09.
    Diagnosed PCOS. Diagnosed Hypothryoid 11/09.
    SHG & SA normal. PCOS Research study started 5/10.
    Clomid/Femara cycle #1 - 6/10 = BFN
    Clomid/Femara cycle #2 - 7/10 = BFP #1 - Missed miscarriage 9/2/10
    11/12 - BFP #2 - 11/22 - m/c
    5/1/11 - BFP #3 - Pre-eclampsia, IUGR & bed rest from 32w. DD born via induction 1/4/12.
  • I did a sticker calendar and he no longer fights me.  I tell him if he brushes his teeth he gets to put a sticker on that date.  He loves it and have not had an issue since.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It's a struggle for us as well, but it has to get done. I literally have to lay LO down on the bed and force the toothbrush on his teeth. He likes to jerk his head and push my arms away, so it's always a challenge- but it gets done every night.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • I let DD brush her teeth when I do.  She loves doing everything I do, so it works great.  I make a big deal about brushing my teeth, she watches me, and then we get her toothbrush.  She only lets me brush them for about 10 seconds and then she just chews on it for 5 minutes, but at least that's something!  
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• We do the brush your teeth Elmo video on you tube while I brush DSs teeth. He loves brushing teeth now.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DS hates his teeth brushed but usually stops fussing when we sing the Brush your Teeth song from Raffi.  

• I starting going 'ahhh' with her really loudly and it's a part of bathtime which for some reason makes it easier.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"