Cloth Diapering
Options

Newb - I'm sure you have helped 1000's of us...

Ok ladies, I have started "nesting" (ugh I HATE that term). 
We will be moving 3 weeks before my due date, so I want to have this all sorted now. I have 20 "Chinese" nappies (diapers), 5 god-knows-what from "The Warehouese" (like kmart), a few from honeybuns, and a mix coming from Kawaii. They are all AIO's, none are new born size. They all have standard (micro-fibre?) inserts.

Prep - I have washed, on cold, (I live in New Zealand and 99% of people only wash on cold, our washer is not even set up for a hot wash). I have washed what I have so far about 4 times, with "Eco Store" washing powder, I have had a quick look, and I'm pretty sure its ok for cloth. They were then dried in the dryer on warm. Is this ok for prep?

I have liners ready, but I won't use them till solids, right?

They will not fit a new born (I just can't afford to get new born size ones as well), when did you ladies fell like your cloth fit you baby well? I know every baby is different, a guide would be great.

A few of my friends commented that they found the cloth nappies leaked, and the baby needed changing a lot. They were only using 1 insert. Does 2 inserts help? Should I stock up a bit on different types of inserts? What are your favourite?

I think that is all I need for now, I want to get everything sorted, packed and stored under the cot (crib) and ready to move, so I don't have to think about it again for a little while!

Re: Newb - I'm sure you have helped 1000's of us...

• Options
    I'm not sure what if you have all synthetics or not by your description. Anything synthetic (polyester, microfiber, etc) just needs to be washed and dried once for prepping. Natural fibers (cotton, hemp, bamboo) are best prepped if washed and dried about 5 times. You may want to run anything with PUL (which sounds like your whole stash since they're AIOs) through the dryer on high for 20 minutes to seal it.

I've never tried washing on cold. I have no advice there.

Yes, liners are typically just used when LO starts solids.

DS was 8lbs at birth, and I think his OS diapers started fitting around 10-12lbs. Kawaiis tend to be pretty big, so they did not fit as soon as some of our others. I don't have experience with the other brands you mentioned. Just keep trying them every few weeks, and when you get a good fit (no gaps at all around legs or waist, even when you lift legs up toward baby's head), you should be all set.

The baby is going to need to be changed every 1.5-2 hours (and immediately when he poops) for a while. (No, you don't have to wake him or her up to change a wet diaper, but 2 hours or less is a good general rule. I tried to change mine before I knew he was going to sleep, even if he had just been changed an hour ago, on the chance that he might actually nap for more than 20 minutes.) With regards to leaking, that can be due to poor fit or to not enough absorbency. If the insert is saturated when you take it off the baby, you either need to change more frequently or add another insert. Hemp and bamboo tend to be the most absorbent but are also more expensive than bamboo and can be slower to absorb. I personally held off buying extra inserts/doublers until we needed them just to spread out expenses. I think we bought them around month 6 or 8. I have also found that a lot of my diapers came with two inserts anyway, and using both of them works fine for us.

I hope this helps!! GL!

• Options
    @unaveragejane thank you! Yes I am pretty sure it is all synthetic. I had planned on doing pre-folds and covers, thought that is what I ordered the first round, turned out I got AIO's, and just carried on from there. If you doubled, would you use a micro-fibre insert and a bamboo? One to absorb quick, one to absorb more liquid? Or does that not really work?

The only cloth available here (new Zealand) are either AIO's at about $50 each, or cheaper ones, $12 each. They honestly look exactly the same, which is why I have stocked up on the cheaper ones. They come with 2 inserts. A pack of 2 extra inserts is $10, so I just buy the nappy+inserts for an extra $2.

Thanks for the advice about changing, I think those first few weeks sound like boob-nappy-boob-nappy-boob-nappy haha. May as well give up the housework now...
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    You have pockets not aios.
    image"Lilypie">imageimage

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    If they have inserts that come out, they're called pockets here (in the US). In any case, yes, you can combine two different kinds of inserts. Just lay the microfiber on top of the bamboo so that the quick absorb layer is closest to the baby. However **be sure** that microfiber is never directly against baby's skin; always tuck it into the fleece pocket. (Cotton, hemp, and bamboo can go against skin, but not MF. It dries out the skin and makes it very irritated.)

You've got a good handle on the routine (boob-nappy-boob, etc). :) It is difficult at first, but you get used to it. My SIL just had a baby (via c-section) 3 weeks ago and is already feeling so well that she came to a family game night Friday. She brought the baby with her, and I just marveled at how she was able to eat, play, laugh, and still take care of the baby.

• Options
    Ok, yes I knew that! I don't think we have AIO's here actually. I have never seen them. These are the only ones I can find (in stores, not this brand, they look like this, and have a pocket). I have not seen covers or AIO's. I have also only seen the microfibre type inserts as well, I would have to order them online. Which I kinda really don't want to do - I have been waiting 11 weeks so far for my Kawaii POCKETS (learning!). Don't know if I could wait that long if I needed more/different inserts.

Some of the ones I have, have like a million more snaps than the other brands, in configurations I can not figure out, but that's another story for another day,

• Options
    That's an Alva. Unaveragejane is doing a great. Job explaining. I'm on my phone. I don't feel like typing that much.
    image"Lilypie">imageimage

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Pockets are very popular for their ease of use (vs prefolds) and quick drying time (vs some AIOs). I think you'll like them. If you find that doubling up on MF inserts isn't working for you, you can also stuff them with prefolds or flats. You can even make a flat by using tea towels. If you want to go ahead and buy some, I'd look for hemp or bamboo. I think mine are JoeyBunz, but I'm sure there are other good brands.

And yeah, snaps...whew. I feel your pain! I still have fitteds with snaps that I haven't figured out yet.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"