Babies on the Brain

Prenatal Vitamins +/- DHA, Vitamin D, etc??

Hubby & I are going to start TTC in the near future so I know I need to start taking prenatal vitamins.  What brand would you recommend and why?

Also, I've read about supplementing with DHA or Vitamin D.  Would you recommend doing so??  Thanks!
Trying to Conceive Ticker

Re: Prenatal Vitamins +/- DHA, Vitamin D, etc??

• I use Target prenatals.  While I was pregnant with DS, I did take a DHA supplement.  But between pregnancies, a study came out that showed no long-term benefit so I did not take it with DD.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Oh!  I don't drink milk so I also take a calcium supplement which has Vitamin D in it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I can't remember what pre-natal I took, but I know it was just a generic store brand.  I am vitamin d deficient so I take it every day anyways.  From what I have been told a lot of people are Vitamin D deficient now because you can not absorb vitamin d from the sun when you are wearing sunscreen.  So I would say if you work indoors year round or don't get much sun in general it is probably a good idea.

Also semi related to that is that breastfeeding woman are also encouraged to either take a high-ish dose daily vitamin d supplement or give their baby vitamin d drops because there bodies are usually do not have enough vitamin d for both the mom and baby.  
  • I take the Target brand (Up and Up) prenatal gummies with DHA and Folic Acid (no iron).  I am loving this option as with my previous two pregnancies the iron in my prenatals caused me tremendous problems with constipation!  Not fun.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

imageimageimage

• I take prenatals that you take 3x/day (new chapter band). Pain to remember, but your body can't absorb all those vitamins at once, so I feel good about them. I dotake a DHA supplement, but not a Vit D. I'll have to do my research on that. I know some take a separate calcium/magnesium supplement.
    imageimageimage
    BFP 6/15/14   EDD: 2/24/15

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Right now I take the Pregnacare conception vitamins. It's a common brand here in the UK. I like it and it has the basic stuff in it.

I will take a pre-natal with DHA either closer to when we start ttc or after I'm pregnant. 
  • I use the Target UP and UP brand. I'm anemic and also take additional iron. Sometimes I buy the DHA prenatals from Costco when they are on sale, but I have more nausea with those now that I'm actually pregnant.
    Baby boy H is here! Born 2/1/2014 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Mysterious_wife: "And for the love of all things that sparkle, remove your last name" on BOTB.
  • I take Nature Made Prenatals that have the DHA built in. I get the big bottle from Costco for like $15 and it lasts me 4 months or so. It's easy for me to swallow the pill and forget about it. And I used to get tummy aches with the One A Day Women's multivitamin before I switched to the prenatal and haven't had any affects since. My OBGYN likes Nature Made and they're a well-known brand so that makes me feel good too. I also take 2000mg of Vitamin C per my acupuncturists instruction to help move any residual hormones from BC out of my system.
    ---

• I was taking the vita fusion gummies with DHA and I see they only have 50mg DHA. And daily recommendation is 300-1000mg
  • I'm also on the Gummies bandwagon, I take the Vita Fusion with the DHA, once I get a sticky BFP I will switch to one with Iron, but only because I got borderline anemic during pregnancy last time around.

- Married October 27, 2007 - TTC since June 2013 -
  • My doctor prescribed Pregvit +5 prenatals. It's split into 2 pills, the high iron in the AM and the calcium in the PM (because they interfere with each other's absorption in the body). I haven't had any problems with them so far, other than some mild constipation at first because of the increase in iron intake. As long as you're getting plenty of water, that shouldn't be an issue. They're also a decent size - easy to swallow, which is great since I've never been good at taking pills!
    Anniversary

Trying to Conceive Ticker
  • I take Women's One a Day Prenatal. it's two pills, one is just DHA/EPA and the other is a multi with iron (which I don't get a lot of anyway). I tried a generic but it made me nauseous. I also take it in the afternoon now so that may be why I don't feel sick after.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"