Multiples

Just for fun... advice

For MoMs with outside babies who survived the newborn months...

If you could go back in time and give yourself only one piece of advice for getting through those months, what would you say?

Re: Just for fun... advice

• I'm in the midst of the newborn time now so bring on the advice!
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Don't put too much pressure on yourself. There was so much pressure with feeding and pumping and growing (the babies had a lot of feeding issues post NICU), stressing out doesn't help... at all.

Snuggle AS MUCH AS YOU CAN! So many times I was sitting on the couch pumping up a storm while my stepmom or husband was holding babies in post feed bliss. I wish I would have taken more advantage of those snuggles.
    Daisypath imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I second pp. I really struggled with bf. once I took the pressure off myself, it totally worked out. We had latch issues, and I think I would get so frustrated that it transferred to the girls. So, instead of enjoying my sweet babies- I was mad at my boobs.
    And find a schedule that works for you. Everyone says to get the girls on the same eating schedule. Well, it just didn't work for me. I found feeding twins at the same time way more stressful. So, it took a minute to trust myself but once I did, I was so much happier. Just find what works for you and go with it. I'm always jealous of tandem feeding mamas, but it just wasn't for me.
    Along with the schedule and pressure thing- also know when to leave. We'll try going to park or store and sometimes it's great and sometimes everyone's screaming. If it gets stressful- just go home. Don't try to save face or force something. It's ok, there is plenty of time to go for long walks and play dates. But don't make it a negative thing or get upset when it doesn't work out. Go home and regroup and try again tomorrow. I see to many moms get upset because they had a whole planned out park date an the babies scream the whole time. It's hard enough when one is crying. Just take the pressure off of you to be Wonder Woman. I hope that makes sense!!!!
    Good luck and enjoy those babies! Twins are really so special and cute!
  • I would tell me that there are bad moments every day, but it's not all bad, every day, if that makes sense. I'll second what all the other PPs said too!

• This is such a great post. Thanks ladies :)

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Slow down and enjoy it, take lots of video and pictures...it goes so fast.
    photo 203b9128-895f-464c-a378-ff73eaf8c1ce_zps4de57ab1.jpg
    Xander, Hayden & Lily 5 1/2 and Jericho 3 My Blog!
  • Hire a twins doula if at all possible for the first couple of weeks. I was healing from a c-section, dealing with engorgement and mastitis, having issues breastfeeding and completely exhausted. In retrospect, we should have just paid out the dough for a twins doula. We did it and survived...but it was hard.
    ttc since 2/2010 ~
    me (36): Hypothyroid (on Levothroid), low vit. d, borderline/high fsh (day 3: between 7-10) (day 10: 13 during CCCT), AFC: 14
    dh (31): awesome (minus one sample with agglutination)
    Diagnosis:possible DOR and/or unexplained + elevated NK cells + MTHFR (C677T - one copy)

MAY 2011 - FEB 2012 - 3 injectable IUI's with numerous cancellations due to high TSH levels
    MAY 2012 - onto IVF/ICSI (Antagonist Protocol) on BCP and Folgard (3 week delay - cyst - boooo) 5/21 start stims 5/30 ER 11R 8M 3F 6/2 3DT of 3 6/12 Beta #1 83 | 6/14 Beta #2 196 | 6/21 Beta #3 3818 | 6/28 Beta #4 22,213 | 7/2 1st U/S - 2 on board! 8/24 CVS reveals that we have a boy AND a girl on board!

Healthy baby boy and girl born in February, 2013 at 38 weeks and 2 days!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Take care of yourself and the babies. Don't worry about all the household chores and things that don't really matter.
  • I'm still in the newborn phase... But, I'd let myself know that breastfeeding is SO hard in the beginning. No one tells you this! It is completely exhausting and so emotional! Also, supplementing with formula is ok. (I was upset about this). Thankfully nursing is so much easier now! Tandem is getting easier as they get bigger and their latches get stronger. I only tandem when they are hungry at the same time. I enjoy my one on one nursing sessions so much more. Way less stressful. I'm trying to enjoy as much snuggling as I can. I'm taking all of your advice! The house is dirty, but I'm ignoring it for now. Great post!
  • SLEEP whenever you get the chance....even if it means going to bed as soon as you put the twins down and you just saw DH for 5 minutes. Your life will feel like it's "on hold" for those first couple months, but it will go by in a flash, and keeping your sanity is important.

PPs have awesome advice! I will also echo the "don't put pressure on yourself" part....when it comes to schedules, milestones, bfing, whatever. You WILL figure out what works for you, and that might not be what works for someone else. Learn your own parenting style and be confident in it.
  • Each baby is their own person. They may not eat as much as each other or from day to day and that's okay. They may not sleep as much as each other or from day to day either. Sometimes they blow up their schedule or as soon as you get them on a schedule they go through a transition and need a new schedule. But it is all temporary.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I just made it to the 3 month mark, and thank you. Some days I feel like a functioning member of society and some days I want to hide in a corner and cry.

• Embrace your new crazy.  Don't fight it.  Don't try to make your life less crazy.  You don't have to love every minute but don't spend so much time wallowing in how hard it is that you miss it.  Having multiples is special!  It's awesome!  Yes some moments are hard but most moments are awesome.  
  • If you can swing it, a night nanny.

If not, two swings and ask for lots of GC's for diapers/formula.
  • If people offer help, take it. It doesn't make you weak.

Your babies are so cute.
  • Don't read the baby books.  Seriously.  Your twins are unique individuals and will do things on their own schedule and that's just fine. 

Relax and have fun.  The more relaxed you are, the more relaxed the babies are.

Trust yourself.  Find what works for you - schedule, how & what you're going to feed them, where they will sleep, etc.  And go with it. And ignore anyone who tells you you are doing it wrong.

Oh and whether you go for a schedule or not, the one thing I think is a must is have a bedtime schedule and a routine.  The babies do so much better when they know that a certain routine means it is time to go down for the night.  For us, it's baby einstein video, bottles (they BF the rest), bath, music and bed. 
    Having the best time ever as mom to Max and Emma, born April 6, 2013!

NYer by birth, I now call Buenos Aires home.

• It'll all be okay. It will get (SO MUCH) better. You can do this. Breathe.
  • Take lots of video and pictures like PPs have said... I wish I could go back and take more. Also, label your pics. I was pretty good with it but some I missed from the SCN and I don't know who I am feeding or snuggling. Also, snuggle as much as you can.. there will be a day when they won't anymore and boy do I miss it. It's tough in the beginning but it does get a lot easier.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"