Multiples
Options

Intro an question about back to back multiples **loss mentioned**

Hello all. I just found out that I'm pregnant with twins...again (7w5d). This time with di/di twins. I lost my mono/di boys in December due to PTL and PROM. I'm wondering if anyone else has had double multiples? Also, if so did you have complications in the first pregnancy that you didn't in the second? I'm scared to death of having to go through another loss. I know I'll be very closely monitored this time around, but I guess I'm looking for reassurance that things can be ok that I could actually go home with two happy babies.
Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

imageimage

Re: Intro an question about back to back multiples **loss mentioned**

• Options
    I'm so sorry for the loss of your first twins.... Congratulations on the news of your 2nd set of twins! I can only imagine the anxiety you must be feeling. I don't have any advice, but I'll be thinking about you
  • Options
    All I can say is that di/di is the healthiest way to have twins. It's just two separate pregnancies in one belly. Way safer. I know it will be almost impossible- but just stay positive and focused on this new and exciting pregnancy! I didn't lose a twin pregnancy, but did have multiple miscarriages prior to having my first, a singleton. You just have to take it one day at a time and take super care of yourself. You can't let the past take over. Easier Said then done, I know! But Congrats! Now go drink a milkshake!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    nuttycoconutnuttycoconut member
    edited September 2013
    I lost my first set of twins due to an incompetent cervix and preterm labor and also got pregnant with twins again. I had a trans-abdominal cerclage when I was 12 weeks pregnant and had a successful pregnancy with minimal complications (just some contractions) and no bedrest. 

eta: I wanted to tell you congratulations! I wish you a very long, stress free, wonderful pregnancy with two rainbow babies at the end. It was an emotionally tough 9 months but worth EVERY second. Your boys will NEVER be replaced, but your life can be filled with joy once again.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    IVF #1 BFP b/g twins!; loss at 23 weeks due to I.C. and PTL. IVF #2 BFP 5/26/12; due date 2/6/13; TAC surgery 7/20/12, blessed with another girl & boy! 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

I lost my first set of twins due to an incompetent cervix and preterm labor and also got pregnant with twins again. I had a trans-abdominal cerclage when I was 12 weeks pregnant and had a successful pregnancy with minimal complications (just some contractions) and no bedrest. 

eta: I wanted to tell you congratulations! I wish you a very long, stress free, wonderful pregnancy with two rainbow babies at the end. It was an emotionally tough 9 months but worth EVERY second. Your boys will NEVER be replaced, but your life can be filled with joy once again.

That's amazing. I haven't heard of that as an option, but I haven't been able to see the MFM yet. Was the placement difficult? Were you able to work the whole time? I've been nervous about being in bed for 5 months as well, but I'll do absolutely anything I can to ensure I can come home with healthy babies. Thank you so much for sharing your experience. I figured it was fairly specialized and I might not find anyone who had been through this as well. It really makes me feel better to know that this isn't necessarily a death sentence for these babies.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

imageimage

• Options
    I have no advice for you, but know the hurt of a loss and the terror of losing another after loss. I will be sending you T & P and hope you have a REALLY boring pregnancy!

Ticker/Siggy Warning:  Children and losses mentioned

TTC #1 since 7/2011
    ME: 37  DH: 38
    SA-12/28/11-normal
    HSG-1/16/12-possible blocked left tube
    BFP#1---CP 7/9/12
    Hysteroscopy-8/9/12-blocked left tube for sure, proceeding with IUI#1
    IUI#1 (Gonal-F + trigger)=BFP#2 m/c @ 19w1d D&E 1/23/13
    IUI #2 (Gonal F + trigger)=BFP#3 EDD 1/6/14 TWINS!!!
    Identical girls born 11/17/13
    BFP#4 EDD 8/27/15 MMC at 7w6d

BFP#5 m/c at 6w

BFP#6 EDD 10/5/16  Going Strong!  It's a Girl!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• Options
    I'm sorry for your loss. No words of wisdom here, but just wanted to wish you the best with this pregnancy...one MoM to another.
    J13 May Siggy Challenge: People lacking in common sense raise my blood pressure.

imageimage
    DD 8/11 | DS1 7/13 | DS2 7/13
  • Options
    So sorry about your earlier loss :(  Di/Di are by far the "safest" twins.  At least with mine, I was never on bed rest and up until the day I delivered, I was living a totally normal life.

Hoping all goes smoothly and thinking good thoughts for you!
    Having the best time ever as mom to Max and Emma, born April 6, 2013!

NYer by birth, I now call Buenos Aires home.

• Options
    I am so sorry for your loss, and I completely understand why you feel so nervous. But try to remember that every pregnancy is different. 
    Congratulations! 
    Married 07.07.07. Mom to 3: Ruby 11/08 and Oliver & Austin 12/11
  • Options
    I'm so sorry for your previous loss.  It's just devastating.  I had a loss at 18 weeks of the pregnancy before my twins.  That was a singleton pregnancy but I was even more terrified at the prospect of a twin pregnancy given my prior loss.  In the end I had a relatively easy mono/di pregnancy and healthy 37 week girls. 

Please see the MFM as soon as you can and get any and all monitoring offered to you but also try to find a way to let yourself enjoy it (I know it's early, it takes time to let yourself enjoy but it's so important to try) 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    ajsweeton said:

That's amazing. I haven't heard of that as an option, but I haven't been able to see the MFM yet. Was the placement difficult? Were you able to work the whole time? I've been nervous about being in bed for 5 months as well, but I'll do absolutely anything I can to ensure I can come home with healthy babies. Thank you so much for sharing your experience. I figured it was fairly specialized and I might not find anyone who had been through this as well. It really makes me feel better to know that this isn't necessarily a death sentence for these babies.
    I researched SO much after my loss. My OB said she didn't recommend transferring 2 embryos again but she knew nothing about transabdominal cerclages (TACs). She actually said I should wait until I had another loss (!!!!) before getting the TAC. I can't imagine why someone would wait for another loss! 

Placement was not difficult but they do have to go through your stomach c-section style so it's a big decision to make. Also, it stays in your stomach after delivery (which does not cause any complications and is convenient if you want more kids). You must get a c-section when you give birth. My doctor told me that a women with a TAC who previously had complications is more likely to carry their baby/ies longer than a woman with no TAC and no previous complications because your cervix is so strong and can hold 150 pounds. There is no chance of funneling as there is with a regular (transvaginal) cerclage. 

I changed from my OB to an MFM immediately and he was completely on board with the TAC, as was my RE. I went to Dr. Davis in NJ but there's also Dr. Haney in Chicago who are the best in the country. My insurance covered it 100%. You can call or email them and see what they say if you need more info or else join the online group called Abbyloopers. You may have someone more local who does them but Dr. Davis was only a few hours from me so for me it was a no brainer. Good luck with whatever you decide to do and feel free to PM me if you need more info.

I did not have to go on bedrest however my wonderful MFM wrote me out of work at 20 weeks so I could stay off my feet, drink water, rest, and go to lots and lots of appointments. My job requires me to be on my feet most of the day so it was a much needed break. Most people with TACs do not need bedrest though. 
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    IVF #1 BFP b/g twins!; loss at 23 weeks due to I.C. and PTL. IVF #2 BFP 5/26/12; due date 2/6/13; TAC surgery 7/20/12, blessed with another girl & boy! 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    ajsweeton said:

I researched SO much after my loss. My OB said she didn't recommend transferring 2 embryos again but she knew nothing about transabdominal cerclages (TACs). She actually said I should wait until I had another loss (!!!!) before getting the TAC. I can't imagine why someone would wait for another loss! 

Placement was not difficult but they do have to go through your stomach c-section style so it's a big decision to make. Also, it stays in your stomach after delivery (which does not cause any complications and is convenient if you want more kids). You must get a c-section when you give birth. My doctor told me that a women with a TAC who previously had complications is more likely to carry their baby/ies longer than a woman with no TAC and no previous complications because your cervix is so strong and can hold 150 pounds. There is no chance of funneling as there is with a regular (transvaginal) cerclage. 

I changed from my OB to an MFM immediately and he was completely on board with the TAC, as was my RE. I went to Dr. Davis in NJ but there's also Dr. Haney in Chicago who are the best in the country. My insurance covered it 100%. You can call or email them and see what they say if you need more info or else join the online group called Abbyloopers. You may have someone more local who does them but Dr. Davis was only a few hours from me so for me it was a no brainer. Good luck with whatever you decide to do and feel free to PM me if you need more info.

I did not have to go on bedrest however my wonderful MFM wrote me out of work at 20 weeks so I could stay off my feet, drink water, rest, and go to lots and lots of appointments. My job requires me to be on my feet most of the day so it was a much needed break. Most people with TACs do not need bedrest though. 
    Thank you so much.  I'll ask my MFM when I see them next week about that as an option.  The doctors you mentioned aren't very close to me, but I may be able to find someone closer who has experience.

imageimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"