November 2012 Moms

first words?

how do you define LO's first word?  Have any of your kiddos said any yet?  What were they?

Re: first words?

• A says Dad, mom a and now nana. Says it and knows who it is or what etc...
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • mama is her only clear word but she has versions of dada, milk, boscoe (her kitty..sounds like bah-oh) and responds to verbal prompts on tons (get the ball, wheres the dog? go get your bear)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Loading the player...
  • I think LO is getting close to saying "ball"-- she says "bah" when she wants her ball, and goes and gets it.

She copies a whole bunch of other words, but I don't think she knows what they mean yet.  I'm trying to figure out if "bah" counts as a first word, or if I need to wait until she is better at pronunciation and uses it universally for all balls rather than just her favorite taggie balls...

And she's said "aldo" for "all done" a couple of times when she is done eating, but still not consistent at this, so it is hard to tell when it is deliberate...

• O's first word was "hey" around 6 months then it was "mama" and "Dada" (mama first, whoop whoop) around 7 months, then "bye bye" (which she hardly ever says anymore) "no no" and now her new one in the last week is "that" and she has to point at and touch EVERYTHING she walks by. Lord help me. It also sounds like she has said "thank you" (or at least that's what she's trying to say) a couple of times but I'm not counting it yet. Oh and she has said "Gigi" a few times but won't say it consistently.

• Blockquote class="Quote" rel="fusionbride">

I think LO is getting close to saying "ball"-- she says "bah" when she wants her ball, and goes and gets it.

She copies a whole bunch of other words, but I don't think she knows what they mean yet.  I'm trying to figure out if "bah" counts as a first word, or if I need to wait until she is better at pronunciation and uses it universally for all balls rather than just her favorite taggie balls...

And she's said "aldo" for "all done" a couple of times when she is done eating, but still not consistent at this, so it is hard to tell when it is deliberate...

I'd say that counts as ball if it's intentional :)

• Sean's not talking......he says mamamama and duhduhduh but I don't think they mean momma or daddy.....should I be worried??

No! Not at all. Does he speak baby jiberish? I've heard that lots of times boys are much slower than girls at speaking and walking.

• Sean's not talking......he says mamamama and duhduhduh but I don't think they mean momma or daddy.....should I be worried??

If you should be, so should I. That's all Lindy does too.
    kids with flags
  • AmberEA14 said:

Sean's not talking......he says mamamama and duhduhduh but I don't think they mean momma or daddy.....should I be worried??

No! Not at all. Does he speak baby jiberish? I've heard that lots of times boys are much slower than girls at speaking and walking.

Ignore me. I just read your OP again and you say that he is doing some jibberish. So, obviously he's vocalizing some. I wouldn't be worried.

• I waited until I heard her say it three times in a logical context (i.e. she was excited and clapping when she said her first word "yeah!"). Reaching for me and saying "mumum" followed. "Dada" was acquired about two weeks ago. Everything else is some variation of "Ba".
  • DS has been saying "mama" since he was about 6 months old. I still don't really think he means it for me though. FMIL claims he says "grandma," but I don't think he does.

He won't say "papa" or "dada" though. FI is still not very happy about this haha. Poor guy.
  • Dada was first but now I think he understands who that is. Now he says, mama, dada, wawa, hi and lots of jibberish.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
    imageimage
  • mama and dada for sure  - i sometimes hear "hi"  but mostly jibberish
  • We are also in the jibberish category.  She's got mama, dada, and bubba.  I think she's getting dog but it comes out like do or ga. 

Last weekend I taught her a trick, since I know she can say mama pretty well, I would ask her "Who am I" and she would say mama.  i knew she didn't associate me with mama, DH thought it was cute, then he said "Who am I' and she said mama. 

Her babbling has gotten so much cuter.  She will hold things up for you to look at and jabber at you about it.  Its like she's having a conversation with you.  (And I usually pretend I know what she's saying and respond)

Wickedly nice Step Mom to JJ since 5/2/09
    Born 7/26/01-- Adopted 3/6/02

Two and a Half Years, Too Many Treatments, One Precious Miracle
    Abby born 11/5/12 

• Emmy says Mama and Dada and that is really it, she does babble but nothing clear.

Ellie says Mama, Dada, dog, hi, dance, done (as in all done), Bubba (our dog), go.  They all have clear meaning and are used correctly, like she will hear the dog barking and call dog or when the dog hangs out under the high chair she says go. 

They both sign though and do eat, milk, and all done.  I am working on more and drink.

We welcomed our girls on 11.7.12 @ 40w0d!
    Emerson Lily 6 lbs 13 oz & Ellis Willow 6 lbs 9 oz

• Lots of gibberish here, too.  I think "dada" is going to be his first word. 

He'll copy anything you say, and I always say "dada" and point at him when we're around DH, so I think he's picking up on it.

"A new baby is like the beginning of all things--wonder, hope, a dream of possibilities."

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• lanea8712lanea8712 member
    edited September 2013
    A also says hey dad and try's papaw but sounds like bab baw. I don't think he knows what hey means since he repeats us normally when he says it. He knows pap but rarely says it.
  • kiraliz2 said:
    I don't count mama, dada, or nana. I don't consider H to have said his first word yet.
    Why don't you count them? You don't think he says them intentionally?

I was the same with O at first because she didn't know what they meant and was just babbling but now she specifically calls for "mama" or "dada" so I count them because she knows exactly what she is saying. 

• I don't think DS has said a word intentionally with understanding yet. This morning in his crib he was crying "mamamama," but I sometimes say "what's my name," "who am I," etc., and he doesn't say it then. He also says dadada, baba, gaga, dah, and something that sounds like "duck," but he hasn't been consistent enough with anything for me to consider it talking vs. baby babbling.
  • V says mama and dada. He then points to everything and says "tiss" which I take as "this" since when he started the pointing thing we would ask him "This?"

Like others that's all we have verbally except for baby gibberish. Lol. He follows a ton of oral directions and such. Get the ball, where's daddy, get your cup, and many more. He does sign a bunch now though. Signs milk, momma, daddy, dog, more, drink, all done, ball, fish, and cat. I'm amazed at the signing to be honest. Fascinates me how they learn language!
    IMG_4550[1] Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Hallie's was kitty (tee-tee). She only said it when she saw a cat and said it pretty clearly. Now she also says mama and dada. She also mimicks no and stop and sometimes yeah.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Before my LO had tubes he wouldn't say anything but he was also walking at 9 months and 1 week and the doctor said that he was prolly just working more on his mobility than talking and being a boy would prolly be alittle later to. once we got the tubes in 2 days later he started saying mama (his first word) and yesterday started saying dada. We have heard the word "no" clear as day but hasn't said it but once and we have also heard the word "up" but only once also. He doesn't know yet when he says mama or dada what that means he just walks around all day saying mamamama and dadadada;)

This is mine too. Sometimes when he cries in his crib he'll cry maaaaamaaaaamaaaaamaaaa its heartbreaking.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • CurlyQ284 said:
    Sean's not talking......he says mamamama and duhduhduh but I don't think they mean momma or daddy.....should I be worried??
    This is mine too. Sometimes when he cries in his crib he'll cry maaaaamaaaaamaaaaamaaaa its heartbreaking.
    The worst! 

• N says momma, dada, hi, up, bye and tons of jibberish. He knows the meaning of those plus he will mimick most sounds. He has recently added outch because that's what I say when he pulls my hair.
    image Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Pregnancy Ticker
  • Our DD is saying mama sometimes but doesn't associate it with me. She says da da da but just like making sounds like the others. I think she's really confused. We are speaking both English and Spanish to her. Anyone else? She will say tons of jibberish, but not really respond to much other than No or the sign for eat.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"