November 2013 Moms
Options

Crunchy? Long--

lafsalotlafsalot member
edited September 2013 in November 2013 Moms
So a couple months ago when I was visiting my grandparents, my sister termed me "crunchy" I had an idea of what she meant but didn't really know. We were talking about CDing and she said, "oh no, you gonna be one of those crunchy moms."

So this morning I googled it! On my expensive electronic device.... Lol!

So because I am going to BF, CD, I buy local when I can, shop primarily on the outside of the grocery store, am considering feeding my kid whatever DH and I are having for dinner by using the pricy food processor on my counter, do enjoy my own baked bread and treats rather than processed cookies and snacks and we recycle. And I love granola!!! I am officially a crunchy mom. I guess having MAC and a house full of Appleproducts adds to our hippi-esque title. But the funny thing is -I work for a technology company, we both have expensive truck/SUV cars (I don't drive mine much because I walk to work) and are card carrying conservatives, I have never considered making the decisions we have for our baby hippie-esque but rather sound decisions based on what's best for baby and us. Guess I would be semi crunchy on something's... My kiddos will go to school- albeit DH wants private school until HS but our public schools are amazing and even have release time for Christian education. Very strange to me... Who else is a "crunchy or semi crunchy mom?"

Re: Crunchy? Long--

• Options
    I am! But I am darn proud of it!
    Living in Boulder when we were first married rubbed off on me, and I love that lifestyle
  • Options
    I'd say I'm semi crunchy.... I sound similar to you... But I think you are right, it's all about making decisions for your child and family that you feel are the best...'if that means buying local/organic and baking instead of buying processes foods, sounds good to me!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Wow, congrats on being crunchy and smug about it.
    IVF, acupuncture, meditation and a miracle. 

Our sweet Valentine's Day FET.

• Options
    Yeah, I think it's the term that is cracking me up. I have more hippie-esque friends and my parents were hippies but I would have never thought of my choices as such. But bring on the granola! ;)
  • Options
    same here - and very proud of it! it takes a lot of effort so I wear that title with pride :) ... and so should you!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I'm probably the closest to crunchy in my family, but I wouldn't give myself that title. I cloth diaper, breastfeed, make baby food, buy organic when I can and hormone free meat when possible, and plan to use a carrier with this baby.

I think of it more as looking for ways to save money that being crunchy. Like buying bar mop towels and more wash cloths to reduce my paper towel usage.
  • Options
    3Dewdrops3Dewdrops member
    edited September 2013
    I tend to reserve the "crunchy" title for those who are vegan and think they know better than modern medicine.  (no vacs and oils instead of medicine) I'll give you...semi-crunchy... but only if you do a homebirth.  ;)

ETA: I don't mean to offend with the vegan mention @SV917! I was born and raised in Eugene, OR so it was more that I think it funny CDing is considered grounds for a "crunchy" label.  People have not seen "crunchy."  ;)
  • Options
    Woodsie said:

I don't think you're crunchy. Labelling someone as crunchy or anything else because they decide to CD is ridiculous.

=D>

My friends call my "crunchy" all the time now because I want to go med free, and CD. I just laugh, and shake my head (and drive away in my SUV)
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    I would say we are semi-crunchy, but for the norm around here we're very crunchy.  We're CDing, EBFing, making our own baby food, co-sleeping, baby wearing, buy mostly organic/natural products, etc.  We're planning on having the baby at a birth center med/intervention-free and we also recycle/compost, garden, buy our meat from a local butcher who raises it all, buy organic/local, and buy reusable products to cut down on our waste as much as possible (tons of washcloths/dishtowels in the kitchen-- so little need for paper towels).  

For us it's a combination of saving money and making healthier choices.  Much of it also happens because we're in the country and it's a pain to have to run 30 minutes to the nearest store other than a gas station to get stuff.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Compared to most around my area...I'm crunchy. I plan to do almost all of the things described by many of you previously.

I will echo that I've never heard the term crunchy until TB. I was raised less crunchy then I currently am....I guess I'm crunchier now???

• Options
    Littlemama01Littlemama01 member
    edited September 2013
    I don't think you are describing crunchy....I imagine crunchy as the placenta eating type...(even when encapsulated). Home birth, and Anti vaxer's would also fit the category in my mind because they are against modern medicine...but then again, to each their own.. your sister obviously doesn't have kids!!! Before I was pregnant, not knowing anything about the interventions and their side effects I always said I wanted the epi, and thought those who gave birth without we're kinda hippie/crunchy...now that I'm pregnant and have learned about it, I would much prefer med free ( but if I'm struggling or suffering I'm not against asking for meds) ETA: I don't think home birth and antivaxer's are against modern med, That sounded wrong when I re read it..I guess I just find those things extreme and therefore in my mind that's super crunchy..
  • Options
    I'm crunchier than most of my friends, but would not be crunchy compared to the "real" crunchy moms. We are breast feeding and will be making our own baby food when the time comes. We grow a garden every summer and I can salsa, but haven't learned to can anything else. If I were a stay at home mom I'd be CD, but didn't see it worthwhile since I'll be going back to work.

My crunchiness comes from being frugal first, then what's best for our bodies, then what I have time for. I'm crunchier during the summer because I have time to be because I work in a school system.
  • Options
    I'm crunchier than most of my friends, but would not be crunchy compared to the "real" crunchy moms. We are breast feeding and will be making our own baby food when the time comes. We grow a garden every summer and I can salsa, but haven't learned to can anything else. If I were a stay at home mom I'd be CD, but didn't see it worthwhile since I'll be going back to work. My crunchiness comes from being frugal first, then what's best for our bodies, then what I have time for. I'm crunchier during the summer because I have time to be because I work in a school system.
    At first I thought you were just dropping in that you knew how to salsa dance... I was like "Is that a crunchy thing?" then I realized you were saying you can make salsa and you put it into cans... ha
    BLAD reppin'

• Options
    I don't see myself as crunchy so much as "guiltily privledged enough to choose what's right for me." I'm frugal and not rich by any means, but the choice to buy organic and to possibly CD for environmental reasons, and have time to make baby food because I work a non-tiring desk job is an opportunity I'm grateful to have.
  • Options

I'm crunchier than most of my friends, but would not be crunchy compared to the "real" crunchy moms. We are breast feeding and will be making our own baby food when the time comes. We grow a garden every summer and I can salsa, but haven't learned to can anything else. If I were a stay at home mom I'd be CD, but didn't see it worthwhile since I'll be going back to work.

My crunchiness comes from being frugal first, then what's best for our bodies, then what I have time for. I'm crunchier during the summer because I have time to be because I work in a school system.

At first I thought you were just dropping in that you knew how to salsa dance... I was like "Is that a crunchy thing?" then I realized you were saying you can make salsa and you put it into cans... ha

Ha! Now that I've reread it I totally see what you're saying!

No salsa dance moves for me...I have two left feet. I can make some hell ya salsa though!
  • Options

All of this! We may be the same person- any "crunchy" decision I make is usually based on health.
  • Options
    It looks like vegans have a bad rap on this board. I'm a vegan, environmentally-minded, Prius-driving liberal, who plans on breastfeeding, using cloth-diapers, making organic baby food (from the farmers market when available) and using natural products that are paraben-free and not tested on animals.  However, I shave and use soap and deodorant, and the twins will be vaccinated and go to school (no unschooling here). I plan on babywearing as much as possible, but I'm having a c-section because both babies are breech and I would never eat my placenta. There are things I hope to do when we are in place that is more accommodating (composting and maybe gardening, although I have a black thumb).

I don't label myself as crunchy though; I don't have the organic, hemp wardrobe to fully meet that stereotype, plus I love mascara. Some of my decisions are based on being frugal, but others are things I can do because we're fortunate enough to have the time and resources to make healthy choices.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    My sister actually has 2 kids, but she and I are very different people. I just shake my head at her comment... We are being frugal, environmentally friendly, and trying to do what we feel us best for our little one. I am being induced so no all natural birth for me, but I'm hoping to deliver without a c-section. I'm ok with meds if I need them... Don't have any desire to see, let alone eat my placenta... But will vaccinate as I see appropriate with the advice of my pediatrician. I do try natural remedies but that because I don't like pills. I can and have gardened and can can jellies, veggies etc... I don't do it all the time but when I have time and am in the mood, it can be rewarding. Not against vegan's but I love meat!!! I also like fish... You could just as easily see me at the health food store picking up salad for lunch as you could McD's with a Big Mac... I agree labels are silly - but it is good to know there are a lot of moms out there making similar choices for the same reasons.

I was thinking about my post earlier when I was in the shower washing my hair with the expensive salon shampoo that my stylist personally brought to the house on Monday.... Given it was DH who wanted the shampoo... But I like soap! Not that those who don't are wrong... Just not my choice. I'm not judging... Just felt like I was being judged for making what felt like sound decisions...

Just spent breakfast with a couple who use biofeedback - she's a practitioner but I don't consider them hippies or crunchy either.

There are a lot if things my sister does extremely well and my nieces are amazing little girls, so I respect her as a mom. Just have to work in her labels.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"