Nurseries and Baby Gear
Options

Ergo question

I have read suggestions to use a rolled up blanket under the baby's butt instead of purchasing the ergo infant insert. I watched a YouTube video on it so I get where it goes. My question is, doesn't the infant insert also support the baby's head? I am confused how the rolled up blanket solves this issue. I'm desperate to use my Ergo but want to make sure it's safe. Oh and my baby is 7 weeks and almost 13 pounds. TIA!

Re: Ergo question

• Options
    Hmm - sounds to me like the rolled up blanket is more to get the baby sitting up higher in the carrier so they're not squished down in it with no air circulation. Maybe for babies who are still tiny but have decent head control? Or maybe they're thinking that if you get them up high enough you can use the sleeping hood to add some head support? I'm not sure...

The infant insert does provide some head support and it positions the baby higher up in the carrier so they fit much better. 

I know how you feel about the desperation to use your Ergo, I couldn't use mine until my son was 3 months. I even bought the insert but he HATED it so I just wrapped him in the Moby for the first few months. You might be able to use yours sooner, my son was preemie so the head control thing took longer than average. :) 
    imageimage Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Options
    Same I have a smaller baby and we waited until she outgrew her K'tan before we went to the ergo with the insert.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I used a moby at that stage. I believe that the rolled up towel is for babies too big for the insert but too small to go in the ergo alone. I wouldn't do it because it doesn't seem safe to me.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I use the Ergo + rolled up blanket and it's great, but only started when DD was almost 3 months (12 lbs) and had decent head control. I still need to hold her head with one of my hands when she is falling asleep in it because she won't lay her head on my chest (once she's asleep I can use the hood), but if she's awake and alert I have no problem.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"