Breastfeeding

Breastfeeds, screams, pacifier, then latches back on....

I've been back to work (I'm a teacher) for a month and half now.  My daughter is four months old.  Obviously, she drinks pumped milk from a bottle while I'm gone during the day, but I breastfeed solely when I'm available.  Within the three weeks I've started having trouble breastfeeding her.  I know she's hungry, but when I try putting her to my breast, she arches away from me even before latching on.  I put the pacifier in (it's the only thing that seems to calm her), then pop it out quickly and put her on my breast instead.  She latches on and drinks a while....then after a few minutes pulls off and starts screaming.  I repeat the cycle.  Each time she drinks for a while and/or I burp her, but I have to rely on the pacifier to get her eat.  I don't feel like she eats as well as she used to, but she's still thriving, according to my pediatrician.  What's going on?  Is it that she prefers the bottle over breast now?  Is it that she is relying or confused by the pacifier?  Or could she be ready for solid food (my pediatrician said I could start now, but I wanted to wait a while longer)?  I really love breastfeeding her and feel it's the healthiest option.  I'd rather hold off on solid food, if possible.

Shannon

Re: Breastfeeds, screams, pacifier, then latches back on....

• Have you read tips on giving a bottle to a breast fed baby? Could it be that they don't do it at day care the way that some babies require to be happy. Things like making bottle last as long as a feeding does.
  • Breast shield? Your nip may not be protruding enough now that she is used to bottles, or your let down is too much. I am not an expert, but have been through the ringer in my two weeks bfing.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Bottle preference is a likely culprit - sounds like she is frustrated that your milk isn't coming fast enough.

When she gets bottles - slowest flow nipples and have your provider use paced bottle feeding to mimic breastfeeding.  She shouldn't be pounding a bottle.

When you are with her, always try nursing when she is sleepy - so right before and after naps.  Babies this age are often also distracted which is compounding your problem.  Sleepy babies nurse better!  Also offer earlier - don't wait until she is showing crying which is a late hunger cue.

You can also try doing breast compressions while nursing to encourage your letdown.  And while I know what she is doing is super frustrating, try to relax!!  If you aren't relaxed, your letdown will be slow.

Hang in there - this too shall pass!
  • Oh and no need for solid food for sure!!  In fact that just gets in the way of good breastfeeding if you are having issues.  Food before one is just about exploring tastes and textures and not about nutrition so your pedi's advice makes little sense!
  • ncbelle said:
    Oh and no need for solid food for sure!!  In fact that just gets in the way of good breastfeeding if you are having issues.  Food before one is just about exploring tastes and textures and not about nutrition so your pedi's advice makes little sense!
    I'm really surprised her pedi said that as well... in Canada they encourage no solids at all before 6m. 
  • I really do think it's bottle preference.  She seemed to do really well over the weekend while I breastfed her soley.  It seems like during the week when I'm at work and she's bottlefed, that it' a problem when I come home in the evenings.  I'm pushing through though....  I really want to breastfeed her as long as possible... at least a year!  I just hope popping the pacifier in and out to calm her in between popping on and off of the breast isn't making things work somehow.

I plan on holding off on solids until 6 months, but I heard that if you wait too long to introduce solids that the baby can have trouble learning how to eat them.

Shannon

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"