Breastfeeding
Options

Questions about Breast Milk Supply

I am a first time Mommy and currently my son is 3 weeks old. I initially had some trouble with breastfeeding and have to use a nipple shield for my baby to latch. He eats very well. I also pump and will be returning to work in 3 weeks. The first two weeks of feeding/pumping, when I would pump in between feedings, I would get anywhere from 8-12 ounces per session. After two weeks, I had 240 ounces of extra milk in my freezer. Now, when I pump in between sessions, I am only getting about 2 ounces. I haven't changed anything. Could it be my child is just eating more and I don't have any extra? Do you think my supply will increase again? I'm concerned because once I return to work I want to make sure that I will be able to pump enough milk for the next day.

Thanks!!
Vanessa

Re: Questions about Breast Milk Supply

• Options
    Thank you so much for your prompt response. I had a bad experience and a hard time at the hospital with breastfeeding. They just kept telling me you better pump if he's not latching and bottle feed him. They didn't help with latch. In fact, the lactation consultants didn't work on Sundays and I was pretty much on my own. I wasn't given a nipple shield or even told about them at the hospital; I found them on my own. It was stressful and I hated it. I think that has something to do with my oversupply. I've been trying to pump less, but it's hard when you leak and are in pain. I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir! So, thank you because that really helps put me at ease!!

Vanessa
  • Options

Oh my! That is awful! I highly recommend that you find a lactation consultant independent of the hospital to try to work on latch to try to ditch the nipple shield. If you don't click with the first one, find a new one. All LCs are not created equal, but one good one can make a WORLD of difference. And ditto what pp said, you only need enough milk when you go back for one day. Then, when you're pumping to replace feedings while working, you need only enough for the next day! You have a huge freezer stash, so start reducing the number of pumping sessions per day (slowly) to where you don't pump any extra times per day. Watch out for signs of oversupply as you're doing this.

https://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supply-worries/fast-letdown/

Good luck!

Anniversary
    White Knot
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Oh my goodness girl! You poor thing! You sound like me with my first. I highly encourage you to get online and find as many resources as you can. A good lc, a support group, many baby boutiques host milk moms meetings. And find mommy friends who have experience. You are doing GREAT I assure you! Also look at kellymom for tips on giving a breast fed baby a bottle. Make sure the daycare knows how. The biggie for latching is to never put the bottle into Lo's mouth. Stroke his mouth with the bottle nipple (up and down) until he roots and latches.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"