August 2013 Moms
Options

Red eye/clogged duct

At my DS's 3 week pediatrician appointment, I was informed my DS has a clogged tear duct. Pedi said it was no big deal, to massage it and apply warm compress. I've been doing these, and for a week or 2 it got better/almost gone. Now, (5 weeks 5 days old) it seems worse. The yellowish discharge is practically constant and now his eye is really red around the outside/on lower and upper lid. No swelling, he doesn't have a fever, and is eating normal. We have a pedi appointment in 4 days for his 6 week checkup. Should I call the off hours dr or just wait for appointment? Could the clogged tear duct have turned into something else??

Re: Red eye/clogged duct

• Options
    I'm not a doctor, but my pediatrician said that as long as the white of the eye wasn't red that it was still just the clogged tear duct.  Never hurts to just call them and ask, I'm sure they get calls about that kind of stuff all the time.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I've heard a lot of people say to put breastmilk on it when you massage the spot. BM has antibacterial properties and could help. But if he's got discharge that heavy, I'd call. I wouldn't want to risk an infection around the eye.
    This. Exactly
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I've heard a lot of people say to put breastmilk on it when you massage the spot. BM has antibacterial properties and could help. But if he's got discharge that heavy, I'd call. I wouldn't want to risk an infection around the eye.

Except I'm not breast feeding.. Due to a medical condition.
  • Options
    Doesn't hurt to call and ask. My DD3 ended up having to have surgery because it never unclogged.
  • Options

My LO has this too and clogged tear ducts can reappear for some time. My LO's eyelid gets red too, but as long as the sclera (white part of the eye) is still white, it is probably still a clogged duct. Just make sure you wash your hands well before massaging. Also, make sure you are massaging the area correctly. You can feel the bone at the corner of the eye and you almost have to tilt your pinky to sort of get behind it to massage the duct correctly...if that makes sense.

We have had good luck doing this along with warm compresses and no breastmilk.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Yes, I would call.  We had this issue and DD was rx'd Polytrim eye drops.  It wasn't for conjunctivitis, but for a colonization of bacteria caused by the irritation/drainage from the clogged ducts.

We are on day 2 of 5 of treatment and its already better.  GL :)

• Options
    My LO needed an antibiotic ointment. I would call my Dr. If I were you. GL!
        DS born 8-16-2013
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I finally threw in the towel after a few weeks of a green mattery eye for my son. Got antibiotic ointment and seems to be helping after two days. I wouldn't worry about rushing him to the doctor for it since your appt is in only 4 days. Keep it clean and massage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"