May 2013 Moms

Scary night. WWYD? (Long!)

So last night LO woke for her MOTN feed at exactly 2 am. I did what I always do, which is get up and change her diaper before feeding her. While I was changing her, I started to feel really woozy. Then I started to get tunnel vision and I knew that wasn't good. I hollered for DH (took a couple hollers to wake him) and he came in just in time to catch me as I passed out.

I came to with him asking "are you here? Are you with me?" And I said "yeah but I think I'm gonna pass out." And he said "That's why you're lying on the floor, because you just did." I hadn't realized it yet. We have a blood pressure monitor because of the BP concerns while I was pregnant, so he put it on me while I was on the floor and it was 125/63, which is about normal for me. I slowly sat up and we checked it again; it was 107/60 that time. My pulse was 60 both times. He got LO and I out to the couch for her feeding and sat with us. I ate a banana and had some water. At the end of her feeding I checked my BP again and it was 115/65 and my pulse was still 60.

I barely slept once we got back to bed because I was so scared. I wanted to go to the ER right then but DH thought it wasn't necessary. He thinks it was a fluke caused by my getting up quickly (although it's not like I jumped out of bed) and not eating much yesterday, which is true-- I was at my mom's house and we went shopping. I ate three meals yesterday but no snacks, and I'm EBF so the extra calories are necessary. Come to think of it, I didn't eat much the day before, either. I was hungry when I went to bed last night, but it was a choice between eat and sleep, and sleep sounded more appealing.

Now I don't know what to think or do. This hasn't happened to me before so I don't know what you're supposed to do about it. Has anyone else randomly passed out? Is it something I should still go to the ER for today or should I just call my doctor on Monday? Do I just not do any of the above unless it happens again? FTR I'm feeling fine ever since, just tired and nervous. I'm making sure to eat more today.

Thank god LO wasn't bothered in the least by any of this. DH was able to get her back in her crib so she was safe the whole time. I can't even think about if I had been holding her when it happened.

And yeah yeah I know it's dumb to ask strangers on the Internet for medical advice but I'm just throwing it out there to see if anyone else has experienced it too.
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Scary night. WWYD? (Long!)

• I think it prob was your BP being too low. Lots of people have this in the morning/MOTN and have to sit up on the edge of the bed a while before standing up. My BIL has passed out cold a few times getting up to use the bathroom. I have had a couple close call, tunnel vision episodes, but never passed out. I think your DH is probably right, but if it happens again, obviously get checked.
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I am not a doctor but I wouldn't think you need to go to the ER. I have experienced that more than once and there is nothing wrong with me. If I haven't eaten or if I get up too quickly I can have those symptoms and I have passed out completely. I do tend to have blood pressure that's on the low end . Instead of the ER you could just go to your doctor and talk about it.
  • Loading the player...
  • LolalipsyLolalipsy member
    edited September 2013
    I think I would just monitor you BP and be sure to have regular snacks (including salty ones). If your BP is erratic or you feel dizzy again I would go to the doctors.

I've passed out before but it was with sudden high BP a nd it's no joke.

ETA: So sorry to hear this, hope you feel better soon.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • How scary! I have no medical knowledge nor have I ever passed out so I won't be any help. Just wanted to say how glad I am that you're okay!

• Thanks ladies! I feel better knowing it's fairly common. It just freaked me out so much.
  • Have you ever had your sugar checked?  I know when I had gestational diabetes they had me wake every morning at 4am to check my sugar because I guess people tend to go low at night. Whenever my sugar did get low I always felt woosy, like I was going to pass out. And you don't have to have diabetes to have low sugar. Sometimes it just flucky happens and may never happen again.   
    photo siggy_zpsf288824b.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Have no advice but wanted to say that's scary and I am glad your ok and your DH was able to come help you.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I have done this several times, my BP runs very low as well, so I know it has to do with that. Like PPs said if it happens again I would talk to your Doctor. Other than that , make sure to get up slowly , eat properly if you feel it coming on again sit down with your knees up and put your head between your knees. Take slow deep breaths and then when you are ready to get up do so very slowly. Go get something to eat with fiber or sugary snack and some water. Then splash some water on your face. Glad you are ok!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • No advice but glad you are doing ok!
    Eat those snacks!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    TTC #2:
    March - May 2014 - Natural cycles - no luck
    June 2014 - Clomid 50mg - BFN
    July 2014 - Clomid 50mg - BFN
    August 2014 - Clomid 50mg - BFN
    September 2014 - Clomid 50mg - Fingers crossed...

• I have never passed out but I do get the wooziness and tunnel vision if I stand up quickly. Ditto Elizabeth -- get your head down ASAP. And if you are still feeling uncertain or worried on Monday, call your doctor for an appointment. Feel better!
    Baby girl born 5/20/13. Figuring it out as we go. :)
  • Could you be pregnant again?
  • Nix55 said:

Could you be pregnant again?

Definitely not, but for a split second it crossed my mind too!

• If it were me, I would go get checked out by the doctor. In the meantime, take it easy and don't skip snacks.
  • Yikes! Glad you are ok, but I'll echo PPs in saying you are probably fine as long as it doesn't keep happening.
    She is here! 5-29-13

• Glad your ok. There is no need to go to the ER. I'd run it by your doctor though. Drink plenty of fluids!
    BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"