High-Risk Pregnancy

Any babies due with a congenital heart defect?

Hello all-
Well this is my third pregnancy. It has been awhile since I have been on this website (since my last pregnancy). I am due with my third child, we are expecting another boy, that makes three!
At my 20 week ultrasound the doctors noticed that our little bundle of joy has a congenital heart defect. I am wondering if there are any other moms that have experienced this with their pregnancy. I have been at the doctor frequently for over eight weeks now and still have no answers or "prognosis". I am getting really frustrated with all the unanswered questions.
What I do know:
Cardiac hypertrophy (but they do not say how severe)
right (primarily) and left ventricle thickening
All valves are thickened, minor obstruction, and also have regurgitation
The arteries coming off the heart also have stenosis.
I have another fetal echo on October 19th and am really hoping to have some answers by then, just looking for someone to talk to about their experiences in the mean time!
Thanks all! :)

Re: Any babies due with a congenital heart defect?

• Have you tried the preemies board? They are amazing over there, and I am sure someone has had an LO with the same issues.  

I am sorry about all of the uncertainty you are facing-I hope your doctors start to provide you with more answers!
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • My dd was born with a chd but I didn't know until after she was born. It was missed. We knew she would have open heart surgery early on. She had a different defect than what you've posted so I don't know much about yours. As far as the surgery goes if you have to go that route I hope you can have a good team with you on surgery day. I didn't want to talk to anyone but it was comforting to have everyone there. Unplanned but helpful were 2 different groups brought us goody bags post surgery and it was very helpful. It was also a nice break from cafeteria food. All in all dd was a rock star! Surgery was on a Thursday and we were discharged on Sunday. She's perfect now. One thing they might not talk to you about is the breast bone post surgery. It can grow back not straight. Either sticking out like a bump or point in towards the spine. This is more a cosmetic "side effect" my dd's sticks out but it's low enough that I think a bra will hide it when she's older. Also you don't notice it under her clothes. Hope this helps
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks for the responses ladies. I will have to check out the preemies board! I did find out this last week that I will more than likely be delivering at a university hospital in my state due to the need for immediate surgical intervention (not sure what type of surgery at this time).
  • @wallace323. I'm very sorry to hear about your loss. Was it a lot of appointments with really no answers for you as well? It is very difficult to "wait" and see how everything is progressing to find out answers. :(

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"