3rd Trimester

Distilled water

I'm sure this is a dumb question, but I can't find a good answer on google. Is it ok to drink distilled water? I meant to call and ask my Dr but I keep forgetting. 

Re: Distilled water

• And why would you want to?

• Loading the player...
  • I can't see why not. I know there are some health implications for drinking it long term, but I think it's fine in moderation. Everything in moderation. You're pregnant, not ill.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
    N '13 November Siggy Challenge- Baby Pictures

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Ugggghh..... I don't WANT to drink distilled water, but I just found out recently that my entire pregnancy I have been drinking it every day unknowingly. We have 5 gallon jugs of water delivered to our house every couple weeks, and apparently awhile ago, my husband switched from regular purified water to distilled. He says he told me he switched, but I don't remember him telling me at all. The water store we go to claims that distilled water is "Best," but I had heard it's not good for you. 

So when I called the nurse line and asked if it ok to drink during pregnancy, the nurse replied, "It's not ok for ANYONE to drink!" because it's hard to digest, and lacks the minerals of regular water. When I explained to her the situation, she said that I shouldn't be worried, that it hasn't hurt the baby or anything, just to switch to regular water. As soon as I hung up I immediately started crying. Trying not to worry too much, but I'm just upset at the situation. It never occurred to me to ask my husband what kind of water we get as I assumed it was just regular purified water since that's what we used to get. Anyways, boo.
  • edited September 2013
    No, don't drink distilled water. Is not good for you. It messes with the balance of ions and minerals in your body since it doesn't have any itself, unlike regular purified or tap water. Distilled water is not the same as purified water! ETA: stupid auto correct
    Anniversary
  • Don't worry,you and baby will be fine. Just don't drink it anymore.
    Why would the company sell you distilled water to drink?

Pregnancy Ticker

Anniversary

(Always in our hearts baby Erwan 22/03/11. 22w + 5d)

• Don't worry,you and baby will be fine. Just don't drink it anymore.
    Why would the company sell you distilled water to drink?
    I don't know! They claim it's the "best" quality for drinking, even! 
  • I've never tasted it, but doesn't it taste horrible?  I have a friend that mistakenly bought it once and gagged when she took one sip.

• I've never tasted it, but doesn't it taste horrible?  I have a friend that mistakenly bought it once and gagged when she took one sip.
    It tastes like water. Maybe your friend bought tonic water? It tastes terrible

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
    N '13 November Siggy Challenge- Baby Pictures

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • pmarie33 said:

I've never tasted it, but doesn't it taste horrible?  I have a friend that mistakenly bought it once and gagged when she took one sip.

No, I was there. It was a gallon of distiller water.

• No, don't drink distilled water. Is not good for you. It messes with the balance of ions and minerals in your body since it doesn't have any itself, unlike regular purified or tap water. Distilled water is not the same as purified water! ETA: stupid auto correct
    Tap water has fluoride added to it. I would stay away from tap water as well loll

OP it's okay, you're fine. You didn't know. There are worse things you could have drank. Like vodka. 
    VOTE on my Name List
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • msronzio said:
    No, don't drink distilled water. Is not good for you. It messes with the balance of ions and minerals in your body since it doesn't have any itself, unlike regular purified or tap water. Distilled water is not the same as purified water! ETA: stupid auto correct
    Tap water has fluoride added to it. I would stay away from tap water as well loll

OP it's okay, you're fine. You didn't know. There are worse things you could have drank. Like vodka. 
    Thanks :) Yeah, it just tastes like regular purified water to me.
  • There is absolutely nothing wrong with drinking distilled water, especially if you can get those missing minerals through diet or supplements.  Distilled water is literally just plain water with nothing else in it.  I drink distilled water exclusively at home because of a medial issue DH has.  I have been tested and am not low on anything you might find in tap water because we eat a balanced diet.
  • Weird.  During my first visit I remember something about not drinking tap water, so all I drink is Kroger bottled water and distilled water from the jugs at Kroger or Walmart.
  • Dumb question....is distilled water the same as filtered water? We have a Brita pitcher we use all the time at home...should I not be drinking that?

• pmarie33 said:
    I've never tasted it, but doesn't it taste horrible?  I have a friend that mistakenly bought it once and gagged when she took one sip.
    No, I was there. It was a gallon of distiller water.
    Something must have been wrong with it then. Distilled water tastes just like regular water. I use it in my Keurig. OP I'm sure you're fine. Although, distilled is more expensive, so I'd probably switch to regular!
    DD born March 2011
    DS born Dec 10, 2013
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"