Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

acting out!!!

Well dh left for a hunting trip and wont be back for awhile but DS started throwing huge fits since he left. I am starting to get embarrassed by it. He will throw huge fits when he doesn't want to leave some place or just doesn't get his way. He gets time outs at home, toys taken away and a stern talking to in public. But I feel like nothing is helping. I also have a 4 month old in tow so its really making outings hard.
I'm an extremely frustrated sahm! Dh wont be home till Tuesday. I think part of ds's problem is dh being gone. But its still no excuse.
Any suggestions?
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: acting out!!!

• Options
    Also he will just completely ignore me when I speak to him lately
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    My 2 year old is the exact same way. I dread going out alone these days as I'm 38 weeks pregnant too. I wish I had the answer, I'll be following along here...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Ignoring you?  Well, that's not listening in our house and is a reason for timeout.  He get's his two minutes and then asked if he is ready to cooperate.  If he says no, he gets to sit there another 2 minutes, etc.  This is for getting him to actually do something he needs to do where it's become a power struggle (like brushing teeth), not for more simplistic stuff (like not getting out of the pantry and pulling stuff out).  Simple stuff he gets his two minutes and it's over. 

Fits in public are tough, and yes, can be embarrassing, but truthfully, I don't give a cr*p what anyone thinks of me, so 9 times out of 10 I ignore it if he's determined to have the fit and just go on my way.  If I give him too much attention during it it makes it worse.  For leaving places, I try to warn him we will be leaving in 10 minute, 5 more minute, 2 more minute, okay we need to leave in 1 minute... then announce it's time to go.  But giving him frequent reminders that things are ending helps a lot, not always, but a lot more than just announcing we are leaving right now. 

He probably is missing Daddy, my kiddo acts out when things are weird too.  There is currently a lot of stress between my husband and I and he's definitely feeling it and reacting to it, despite trying really hard to hide it from him.  Anyway - can you call Daddy on the phone before bedtime or something so he knows he's still there. even if he's not in the house?

TTC since May 2006. After 3 failed Clomid cycles, 2 failed Injectibles/IUIs, 2 failed IVFs and 1 failed FET, we moved on to adoption! 

Last ditch FET resulted in BFP, and identical twin girls!

• Options
    kgs0505 said:

Ignoring you?  Well, that's not listening in our house and is a reason for timeout.  He get's his two minutes and then asked if he is ready to cooperate.  If he says no, he gets to sit there another 2 minutes, etc.  This is for getting him to actually do something he needs to do where it's become a power struggle (like brushing teeth), not for more simplistic stuff (like not getting out of the pantry and pulling stuff out).  Simple stuff he gets his two minutes and it's over. 

Fits in public are tough, and yes, can be embarrassing, but truthfully, I don't give a cr*p what anyone thinks of me, so 9 times out of 10 I ignore it if he's determined to have the fit and just go on my way.  If I give him too much attention during it it makes it worse.  For leaving places, I try to warn him we will be leaving in 10 minute, 5 more minute, 2 more minute, okay we need to leave in 1 minute... then announce it's time to go.  But giving him frequent reminders that things are ending helps a lot, not always, but a lot more than just announcing we are leaving right now. 

He probably is missing Daddy, my kiddo acts out when things are weird too.  There is currently a lot of stress between my husband and I and he's definitely feeling it and reacting to it, despite trying really hard to hide it from him.  Anyway - can you call Daddy on the phone before bedtime or something so he knows he's still there. even if he's not in the house?

Thanks! I do a lot of the same stuff as you mentioned. I'm thinking the terrible 2s have hit! He has spoke to dh every day. I'm just gonna keep up with everything and it will pay off.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

Yeah, he's being 2.

I do a lot of what pps mentioned.

The one thing that helps the most and I know it sounds ridiculous is to talk/lay out an agenda. "Please put shoes on. We are going to the store. At the store we are doing XYZ, then ABC. We will be headed home after that." Then while I'm out, it's a lot of, "One more X, I need to get Y then we're all done!"

Or, "We are going to the playground. We will do the slides, the swing, the sandbox and then head home when those are done." Then I do while we're there, "Ok. That was the swings. Let's do sandbox and it'll be time to go for lunch."

My kid really does understand all that and seems a lot happier when she's up to date on what's going on.

And if she doesn't cooperate, I just pick her up and go screaming and all.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"