February 2013 Moms
Options

Natural Vitamin D Drops?

Are there any brands of vitamin D or multivitamin drops for infants that don't have artificial colors and flavors? At the rec of our ped, we gave Enfamil poly-vi-sol drops for the first time and LO hated it and refused to take it. It smells awful and it has artificial caramel coloring, so I don't like it either.

I found Carlson Lab vitamin D drops, but I'm not familiar with them. Has anyone used this brand, and do they have a multivitamin for infants as well? What's the difference between the natural vitamin D drops and the D3 drops...and more importantly, which should LO take? TIA!

Anyone else tired of researching endlessly about baby products, toys, and medications?

Re: Natural Vitamin D Drops?

• Options
    PhieryBFlyPhieryBFly member
    edited September 2013
    Can you just go outside to get the vitamin D? Vitamin D is not actually a vitamin and is created in the body from cholesterol and sunshine. Usually vitamin d supplements are only needed if you're stuck inside a lot such as living in a very cold place in the winter.
  • Options
    That's what I thought, but my ped said it would take 8+ hours a day of outdoor sunshine to get the amount of vitamin D that LO needs. And he said the AAP recommends that all breastfed infants get a vitamin D supplement.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    PhieryBFlyPhieryBFly member
    edited September 2013
    Really? My pediatrician said a few mins a day would cut it. A trip to the mailbox gets the job done. What did all of humanity do before the drops were invented then?
  • Options
    Here's a KellyMom article I just found on this... I usually trust this site because they do a great job backing up their stuff with scientific journals and the like. https://kellymom.com/nutrition/vitamins/vitamin-d/
  • Options
    wifeofadamwifeofadam member
    edited September 2013
    Here is a calculator that will let you know how much sunlight you need to get where you live.  You just need to know your longitude and latitude (type it in negative to get western).

I live in Ohio.  Right now on a sunny day without clouds in the sky and with my face, hands, and arms exposed without any sunscreen, I only need two minutes of exposure every other day to get enough Vitamin D.

I feel like the whole vitamin D supplement thing is a ploy to get us to spend more money...

• Options
    +adamwife+
    That's a nifty calculator! Thanks!
  • Options
    I started using the Poly-vi-sol after DD's 6 month appointment with the new pedi. They recommended she take a multivitamin. But I HATE giving it to her- it's a full milliliter and like you said, it smells absolutely disgusting and I'm sure tastes even worse judging by the face she makes. I have actually started just giving it to her 3-4 times a week instead of everyday because she makes such awful faces and I'm not even really sure she needs it. I won't be buying it again, especially because it was pretty expensive too. She does get some sunlight everyday during our walks.
    PCOS with long, irregular cycles
    First round of Clomid in May 2012= BFP #1, DD born January 2013 
    BFP #2 in January 2014, DS born September 2014

View Full Size Image     View Full Size Image   

• Options
    My 4 year old has had to take Poly-vi-sol for two years due to anemia and when I put it in a little bit of juice he doesn't have a clue it is in there. By itself it is disgusting.  We change up the juices so that he doesn't associate it with a certain flavor.  My pediatrician said he had to take it when he was a kid and his parents always put it in OJ.  He has always hated the taste of OJ and didn't realize until he was in college that it was because his parents put the drops in his juice.
    Samuel  2.26.06 41w ASD/ADHD
    Eli  6.18.09 35.5w
    Silas  1.25.13 35.4w 10 days NICU, allergies/asthma, gluten intolerant

• Options
    Thanks, ladies! This was so helpful. I guess I need to do a bit more research, and buy some Carlson's drops or Just D if we need the vitamin D.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"