Blended Families

Passports

Since we have the cruise coming up, DH thought it would be a good idea to get the kids passports (we already have ours).  They aren't needed to travel by sea, but if something were to happen they would need them to travel by air back into the states.  In order to get SS a passport, both parents have to consent, but to avoid BM having to appear in person, she can sign a consent form and provide a copy of her driver's license.  The cost for the passport will be a total of $105.  Knowing BM, I can almost guarantee how this will go.  She will say she will consent only if she can use the passport in the future for SS and will not want to pay anything toward it.  We don't really mind if she were to use it, but I kind of feel that if that's the case she should pay half to get it initially.  Has anyone else ran into this issue?

Re: Passports

• WahooWahoo member
    edited September 2013
    Does BM really have the resources to travel internationally? To me, if you can afford a cruise and can afford to get a passport "just in case," you need to just swallow the $105 as the cost of getting what you want and let the 1/2 go as the cost of her signature. You and DH are the ones that want the passport and her permission and that limits your ability to make demands. I would insist that since you paid for the passport it stays with you. Oops - just remembered the cruise is free, but getting BMs agreement in your case won't happen unless there is something in it dot her.
    image "Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes.
  • We were the first ones to want to travel with SS out of the country so we did all the paperwork and paid for it. We keep the passport at our house but if BM ever needs it then of course we will give it to her. I think that if you want the passport then you should just pay. It is not worth fighting over especially since BM may never take SS out of the country and arguing about it will just make the process more difficult.
    "Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage." ~ Lao Tzu
  • Loading the player...
  • Thank you, we will probably just go ahead ahead with it and only ask for her consent.  Everything with BM lately is an argument, so I think you guys are right, not worth it!

• But right now YOU need it so I don't understand not paying for it. And if she wants it later it is not like she can get a second. Honestly I think you are looking for something to complain about this time.
    Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
  • Sorry, but this is what you get for going on a cruise.  Leaving the United States is YOUR choice. Therefore YOU get to make that initial purchase. 

And let us be honest here, you are going on a free cruise.  
    file:///Users/Ilumine/Desktop/Family%20Portrait%20for%20gift.jpg
  • We needed a passport for SD this summer. We paid for it.  BM met DH at the post office to apply.  We did not ask BM to help pay for it.  It was our trip and the passport was something that we needed for our trip.  

If BM decides to take a trip out of the country with SD, we will gladly hand it over.  It is SD's passport for her use, with us or with BM.

Just my .02.

Pam
  • We ended up paying for SD's passport. We also said we keep the passport with us. (Things tend to get lost at her house). BM has grand plans for international travel, but until she pays for tickets, she has no need for the passport.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I paid for DS's passport. 

We needed it for a trip we had planned. I did not ask XH for his input on the trip, so I would not ask him to cover a portion of the costs associated with it. 
    my read shelf:
    Erin's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Thank you everyone for the replies!

• I paid for DS's passport, as I was the one who took DS out of the country (although, because of our CO, I didn't need BD's consent/knowledge in order to obtain it.)  We it's time to renew, I will pay for it again. I doubt BD will ever have a reason to need to use it, but if he did I would make him sign something saying that if he lost it he would have to pay for a replacement.

If BM makes a comment about wanting to use it in the future, then maybe you could see if she'll pay for half. If not, NBD.
  • You usually need your passport good for six months after you enter a country because that is the amount of time you are usually able to stay. So if you were to travel in June you would need a new on in December. I you aren't traveling it is no problem but just something to be aware of. And if there is a shutdown the timeframe is likely going to go upwards of two or three months to process.

It looks like DH and I are going to have to go this weekend to get DDs renewed.
    Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"