Attachment Parenting
Options

Sleep Help

Hello all,

I have an 8 month old, ebf, will not take a pacifier.  We co-sleep most of the night, but she starts off sleeping (strapped in) in her rock n play.  We have a bedtime routine: we play for a bit when I get home from work, then we do bath, and then nurse to sleep.  Lately, she nurses for a bit and then pops off, rolls over, and gets up on all 4s like shes going to crawl.  So I lay her back down and the same process....over and over and over and over.....It seems like after an hour or longer she will finally fall asleep enough that I can get her in her rock n play.  Then she will be asleep for 45 minutes and then wake up screaming until she gets the boob.  I try sending my husband up but she will scream and cry so hard until I come up.  It is obnoxious, and I seriously am at my wit's end.  She nurses me all night long.  I am exhausted and stressed.  I work full-time and I am getting very overwhelmed.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Sleep Help

• Options
    DS did this when he was that age. It's like they are nearly asleep and somehow get a second wind! Many a night, I had to just gently hold him down so that he'd nurse and go to sleep. It is frustrating, but it was actually a pretty short phase, and before I knew it he was nursing to sleep easily again.

Maybe after her bath, you could turn out all the lights, draw the curtains, and make it as dark and sleepy an environment as possible, so that she's less likely to want to move around and play. Other than that, being consistent about laying her back down when she sits up so that she can fall asleep will help.

What time are you putting her to bed? It could be that she's not ready for bed yet, or even that she was tired earlier but because she stayed up, she's overtired and can't easily unwind. You could try adjusting her bedtime in whatever direction seems best to see if that helps.

As for needing mommy when she wakes, there's nothing more comforting than the breast, and she may be growing and hungry, or teething, in which case nursing would be very comforting and soothing. What you're doing now (sending DH first to confirm that it's actually mommy she needs and not just either parent, and going to her if it's you she needs) is a gentle, loving and respectful way to care for her. Good work, mama!
    imageimage
  • Options

Bedtime is 8:00.  I get home from work around 6:30.  Some nights my hubby doesn't get home until 7:45 so thats why bedtime is 8:00 so he can see her before bedtime.  She usually takes 3 naps during the day and we all get up at 8:30. 

I don't think shes teething right now.  She was a couple weeks ago, and now has 2 bottom teeth. 

She is watched by my mom on Monday and my husband's mom on Tuesdays and Fridays.  I have Wednesdays off, and my husband has Thursdays off.  She generally takes 3 naps during the day, but I guess it is not necessarily on a strict schedule due to different caregivers...could that be the issue?  She usually wakes up from her last nap around 5.  

She does show lots of tired signs around bedtime...getting fussy, rubbing eyes,  yawning, etc. so I'm not sure if I should put her to bed earlier or not....I'm kind of afraid to because I also don't want her to wake up earlier! 

I am just so stressed and overwhelmed (crying as we speak).  Right now LO is up because she would not go back to sleep and I wasn't ready to go to bed as I haven't had 10 minutes to myself all night so she is on the cough with me and hubby, which I'm sure is not helping.  I am just scared this is not going to get better.  I can't do this every night. 

Thanks for listening

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    cough = couch
  • Options
    Aww. :( I'm so sorry you're overwhelmed, mama. I promise this doesn't last forever and it will get better.

She doesn't need to be on a strict schedule to get the sleep she needs. As long as all of LO's caregivers pay attention to her cues so that she has naps when she needs them, that's perfect. They may find that she naps naturally around the same time every day.

It sounds like you could use some time for yourself or for you and DH. Would a break every now and then make even the rough bedtimes easier? If your mom is free on a weekend day, maybe she could watch LO for you and DH while you go on a lunch date (or whatever time of day is easiest for you and LO, my DS only does well for sitters during the day...needs mama at night). And maybe DH could keep LO for an hour or two every so often while you do something just for you. A long walk, a pedicure, or shopping hands-free!

This parenting stuff is hard and can definitely become overwhelming, especially during restless/wakeful phases. Remember to take time for yourself. :) Even just an hour or two every couple weeks can help you recharge your batteries.

Even if that recommendation is completely irrelevant and/or unhelpful, do take comfort in that this is likely a short phase. Create that sleepy environment, and hopefully LO will learn that nighttime is for sleep. Hang in there, mama!
    imageimage
  • Options
    Thank you so much. I think you are right-I think I just need a little break. Work has been crazy lately (I'm a veterinarian) and I think I'm just having trouble keeping up with everything. Good news is grandma is watching her Wednesday eve for a couple hours so we can go to dinner for our anniversary. Again thank you. It is just nice to have a place to vent :)
  • Options
    My DD was the exact same way, every time she laid on her back she would wake up crying and wanting to nurse. She had acid reflux as a baby, and I got her back on the medicine. Since then it's been much better. I don't know if she's ever had acid reflux but if so maybe that's why.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I'm so sorry you're having a tough time. This motherhood thing can be HARD with a capital H sometimes. It is no joke. I am not as AP as some of the mommies on this board, but here are my personal recommendations from my experience. Remember, this is what worked for us, and may not be what worked for you. You have to figure out your own comfort level and what works for your family. I think the most important thing is to figure out what actions sit well in your mommy gut and then *be consistent*. I think consistency is the one rule that you should follow.

Again, just my thoughts:

1) Crying and being stressed out isn't healthy for you or your family. When I was in your shoes, I started to resent my life, my daughter, my husband, my job, my everything. While I don't believe in doing things like cry-it-out and I do believe that as mommies, we have to sacrifice sometimes, I also don't think that motherhood is synonymous with martyrdom and I think when you get to a breaking point, you have to make a change.

2) It is likely that she wakes up crying 45 minutes later because she does not know how to join the 1st sleep cycle to the 2nd. This is possibly because she was nursed to sleep and then laid down somewhere else. When she wakes up she's like "ummm... where is that nice boob and nice bed and nice mommy that I was lying with when I went to sleep?!". There is NOTHING wrong with nursing to sleep. Nothign at all... unless it causes issues with further sleep. This is what happened for us. I would nurse/rock LO to sleep (which often involved crying, fussies, etc - it was a stressful experience for us all) and invariably she woudl wake up 40 minutes later. 

3) At 8 months, she really shouldn't be in teh rock-n-play anymore. We got LO out of the RNP at 5.5 months and i thought we had really pushed it. Just my $.02.

4) We did a modified sleep lady shuffle from the Kim West book. I still dont' leave LO to cry, but teaching her how to put herself to sleep, with me or DH by her side to comfort her, was key in helping LO get better sleep and join that 1st to 2nd sleep cycle. I recommend this book (Good Night Sleep Tight, by Kim West) to everyone because it worked for us. That doesn't mean it will work for everyone, but I felt it was respectful, gentle but recognized that mama needs some sleep too. I didn't follow it to a T, as I said, we modified it, but after 3 nights, LO can put herself to sleep after nursing and a quick bedtime story. It has made a huge difference in how I feel about motherhood, my family, everything. I am no longer crying, dreading bedtime. My LO still gets up 1 - 3 times/night and that's ok. It's a lot better than every 45 minutes.

5) Go to bed early yourself. Get as much sleep as you possibly can. SLeep deprivation leads to anxiety, overwhelmed-ness (I made that word up - ha), and depression. 

This will pass. Whether you decide to do any kind of "sleep shaping" or not, it will pass. You will get through it one way or another. 

hang in there!
  • Options
    JJ-thank you so much! I will get that book today lol. I know she needs to be out of the rock n play. We tried the pack n play but that was a nightmare.

Do you think it's time to transition to the crib?

Thanks!
  • Options
    JJ-thank you so much! I will get that book today lol. I know she needs to be out of the rock n play. We tried the pack n play but that was a nightmare. Do you think it's time to transition to the crib? Thanks!
    Assuming you want your LO to sleep in a crib at some point, then yes, I think it's time. We did the following:
    1) Transition out of swaddle at 5 months (still in RNP in our room)
    2) Transition from RNP to crib in our room at 5.5 months
    3) Transition crib from our room to nursery at 6 months
    4) "gentle sleep shaping" (modified sleep lady shuffle that I mentioned) at 6.5 months

It was a tough few weeks, but it was the right thing for us - I didn't want to do all those changes in one single day - just felt like that was too hard on her, but I also knew our goal - for our family - was to get her sleeping decently in her crib in her bedroom around this time because I was so, so, so sleep deprived, so we basically gave her two weeks to adjust to each little change.

This is a highly personal decision though. I have tried cosleeping and it didn't work for us. I couldn't sleep well, was so afraid of waking LO up that I slept rigid all night long, which means I never got comfortable and never got into a deep sleep. I was a zombie. I think I have/ahd a little PTSD from those early months with a baby who refused to sleep (!!). So, for us, yes, transitioning to the crib was the right thing. 

There's nothing wrong with cosleeping though - if it is what works fo ryou. I think Kim West has a chapter on it. I didn't read that chapter because it didn't apply to us, so I can't comment on it. I will say that I think teaching your child to put herself to sleep (if you decide that that is a priority in breaking the ever-waking-cycle) would be very hard if you continue cosleeping.

That said, it really is a personal decision. I just don't want you (or anyone) to think I am disapproving of co-sleeping. I'm not. I just don't think it works for everyone and that people have to find what works best for their own families (adults and babies included).

Whatever you decide with respect to co-sleeping, yes, I would try to replace the RNP with crib now. It won't be easy, but, with love and patience, LO will adjust eventually.

Good luck!
  • Options
    Thank you so much!!
  • Options
    Are we talking days or weeks or months like this? Is she crawling? What you are describing is exactly what both of my boys have done right before a major developmental explosion for about a week. It's like their little minds can't chill out because their bodies are gearing up. Right before walking, DS1 would actually jump up from my breast or sleep and stand in the bed in the middle of the night until I coaxed him down. Same thing before crawling, vocabulary expansion, etc. My strategy: keep baby in bed with me and nurse (side-laying nursing) while I sleep.
  • Options
    I was going to say what PP said about developmental milestones. I've noticed crazy things happen with sleep and then a few days or weeks later BAM he's a new baby (again). 

This too shall pass. Have fun on your anniversary!
  • Options
    It's only been a few days like this but it feels like forever lol. Thank you so much ladies. It's nice to know I am not alone :)
  • Options

Hang in there.  They go through phases and once you think you got it figured it out, they change things up.

I did have a couple of thoughts. . . but feel free to disregard them if you don't like them / think they apply.

1.  Try moving the bedtime earlier or later and see if that helps.

2.  Is it possible that she no longer needs 3 naps and perhaps could go down to 2?

3.  I think it's a good idea to send in H first.  We do that too- sometimes LO is happy with H and if not H brings him too me or I go in.  I feel like that way LO learns that both daddy and mommy will respond to his night-time needs- whatever they may be.

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    It's only been a few days like this but it feels like forever lol. Thank you so much ladies. It's nice to know I am not alone :)
    If it's only been a few days, I would wait it out a bit and see if it passes on its own. We did all those changes when it had been three loooooong months of bad sleep. 

Good luck!!
  • Options

Hang in there.  They go through phases and once you think you got it figured it out, they change things up.

I did have a couple of thoughts. . . but feel free to disregard them if you don't like them / think they apply.

1.  Try moving the bedtime earlier or later and see if that helps.

2.  Is it possible that she no longer needs 3 naps and perhaps could go down to 2?

3.  I think it's a good idea to send in H first.  We do that too- sometimes LO is happy with H and if not H brings him too me or I go in.  I feel like that way LO learns that both daddy and mommy will respond to his night-time needs- whatever they may be.

This!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

You have some great responses here. I will also add that it would probably be best to drop the later nap and make bedtime earlier. I read somewhere (can't remember where, but one of the sleep books) that babies do best when put down to bed for the night between 6:30 and 7:30pm, and that if they stay awake, they actually get a second wind around 8pm or so that makes it harder for them to settle. I have noticed that when I get dd to bed later, it is harder sometimes. You might want to try slowly pushing it earlier to see if that helps. Dd goes down between 7 and 7:30pm and wakes at 7am.

Also, yes, getting out of the RNP is pretty important at this point as it just isn't safe anymore. We tried to go from the RNP to the crib, but I couldn't get dd to settle well, but she did fall asleep in my bed while nursing, so we have been bed sharing and that's been working well for us for now. I do want to get her in the crib at some point, but I take it day by day now.

When I nurse dd to bed, we have a ritual where she nurses on one side with the light on while I sing. She used to just nurse then but now just rolls everywhere and plays. I then turn the lights out (and it's very dark), turn her musical seahorse on, and nurse on the other side. That's when she gets 'serious' and actually settles. Anyhow, it might also help to reassess the environment and make sure it is calm, dark and that there aren't any distractions so she knows it's bedtime.

Some days dd sleeps for 4 hours before waking to nurse and others she seems to every hour until I'm in bed with her, after which she just keeps the boob in the mouth (but we both sleep well). Hang in there!

imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

st. augbride,

What do you do until you go to bed?  I nurse my girl to sleep in our bed and then transfer to RNP (I know, we need to stop this).  I don't want to leave her in our bed for fear she will wake up and crawl or roll off of it.  I tried the pack n play but she wasn't having that!  Then when we go to bed I move her into bed with us when she first wakes. 

• Options
    st.augbridest.augbride member
    edited September 2013

st. augbride,

What do you do until you go to bed?  I nurse my girl to sleep in our bed and then transfer to RNP (I know, we need to stop this).  I don't want to leave her in our bed for fear she will wake up and crawl or roll off of it.  I tried the pack n play but she wasn't having that!  Then when we go to bed I move her into bed with us when she first wakes. 

I have a guard rail up on my side and she sleeps in between me and the guard rail. I then have a video monitor set in such a way that I can see her perfectly. I keep it plugged in all evening and on so I can watch her every move. She doesn't really move too far, but if she scoots in a way I don't like or places her face down into the mattress, I go in an gently reposition her (she doesn't wake when I do this). If I couldn't watch her I wouldn't feel safe leaving her, but the video monitor is awesome and waaaay worth the investment.

I will also add that she sleeps in a sleep sack on a fitted sheet only. dh and I have separate light blankets that we keep wrapped around us separately so that there is no loose bedding. I also use one pillow that I keep rolled away from dd. So in her space, it replicates a crib basically. We have a king sized bed which helps.

imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"