Dads & Dads-to-be

5 Thing Thursday

I really have nothing this week... I've been busy with trying to make sure we have the funds to complete this wedding weekend trip to NC and getting ready for it, making sure everything is in place.  So this week, just 5 things going on in your life you feel like sharing... child or non-child related.

Re: 5 Thing Thursday

• 1)  Today is our 4th wedding anniversary.  Doesn't seem like 4 years... at times it seems like it happened yesterday, but other times it seems like I've had her in my life much longer (in a good way).  Her grandparents on her mom's side are celebrating 60 years married today too.

2) I know I've mentioned this before, but I really would like to skip this wedding.  This is going to be a $600+ expenditure, and frankly, we have better uses for the money.  It might be one thing if we were going and spending some time in Raliegh, but we really aren't.  We are in town for maybe 36 hours tops, only to drive another 12-13 hours home with a 2 3/4 year old and a 7 month old.

3) My wife gets her gall bladder removed on Monday (hence the reason for the abbreviated trip).  Looking forward to seeing her feeling better, and hopefully some of the things that have been bothering her that we can't figure out can be tied to the gall bladder and will go away as well.

4) Colts actually beat the 49ers... I gave them maybe a 20% chance... proved me wrong.  Now, watch them lose to Jacksonville, would be my luck.

5) Theo Epstein better work his Red Sox magic on the Cubs here soon, because I'm getting real tired of 90+ loss seasons.  Right now, I can't even watch the games because they are just so terrible.  There is hope in the low minors, but that means likely another 2 years of this junk.  There is a reason why attendance in Wrigley was the lowest in 15-20 years this year and the quality of talent on the team, especially after the 2nd consecutive mid season fire sale, is just downright bad.
  • 1.  LO is hitting his growth spurt so he's eating a ton.  Lots of feedings, lots of pooping, lots of washing bottles.

2.  My Tigers clinched the division last night!  Third year in a row but all of it is meaningless if we don't perform in the post season.  Anything short of a championship this year will be another let down.

3.  The weather is perfect right now!  The leaves are starting to change, I'm going to a cider mill this weekend, and I've busted out the Halloween playlist on Spotify.  Nothing says fall like eating cinnamon donuts while listening to "Somebody's Watching Me" by Rockwell.

4.  I really enjoyed Agents of SHIELD.  Lots of references to the Avengers and Agent Coulson is a fucking pimp...plus Flying Car.

5.  Work sucks.

• Loading the player...
  • futant462 said:

4.  I really enjoyed Agents of SHIELD.  Lots of references to the Avengers and Agent Coulson is a fucking pimp...plus Flying Car.

I watched the show too.  I'm wondering what the deal with Coulson is when they referred to him not knowing about something... is he a clone?  A zombie?    I'm sure the Avengers references will probably be tapering off now that they've established the link.  I mean the toys in the opening sequence, the direct reference to each Avenger by Agent Hill (the Thor line was pretty funny) and the reference to the one agent scoring higher than anyone since agent Romanoff.  

I didn't get to really focus on the show well because my oldest was screaming his head off for most of it... even had to go back and rewatch sections of it on DVR, but he was still making noise.  However, from what I watched, I have a feeling we may have seen the origin of Luke Cage AKA Power Man.
  • Coltsdad said:
    futant462 said:

I watched the show too.  I'm wondering what the deal with Coulson is when they referred to him not knowing about something... is he a clone?  A zombie?    I'm sure the Avengers references will probably be tapering off now that they've established the link.  I mean the toys in the opening sequence, the direct reference to each Avenger by Agent Hill (the Thor line was pretty funny) and the reference to the one agent scoring higher than anyone since agent Romanoff.  

I didn't get to really focus on the show well because my oldest was screaming his head off for most of it... even had to go back and rewatch sections of it on DVR, but he was still making noise.  However, from what I watched, I have a feeling we may have seen the origin of Luke Cage AKA Power Man.
    I believe they're setting up Scarlet Witch for Avengers 2.  In the previous movies, they kept mentioning that Coulson was dating a cellist.  Scarlet Witch plays the cello in the comics and she has the power to will someone back to life.  

• 1) We started solid food with our little guy.  Mostly he ends up wearing it because he demands to feed himself and grabs the spoon.  But it is going well overall.

2) My new stepsister-in-law is in town for a little over a week.  She isn't the most mature person and was not happy about her dad marrying my mother-in-law and moving across the country so this should be a treat.

3) Reds lost yet another series to a sub .500 team.  They are 1-5-1 in their last 7 series against teams under .500.  Meanwhile they have won their last 3 or 4 against playoff bound teams.  They should be playing for the division right now instead of the wild card home field.

4) Watched the new show Dads from last week.  That was pretty awful.  Brooklyn Nine Nine could be interesting.  I'll give it a couple more episodes at least.  HIMYM and Modern Family were good.

5) I actually ran out of beer on tap at the house because I haven't been able to brew recently.  Had to correct that so I will be brewing some more of my vanilla stout this weekend.

• futant462 said:
    Coltsdad said:
    futant462 said:

I believe they're setting up Scarlet Witch for Avengers 2.  In the previous movies, they kept mentioning that Coulson was dating a cellist.  Scarlet Witch plays the cello in the comics and she has the power to will someone back to life.  
    Well, Scarlet Witch is supposedly being brought in for Avengers 2, along with Quicksilver, so it would make sense.  I am not that brushed up on Scarlet Witch to know that she played the cello.
  • Prime said:
    1) We started solid food with our little guy.  Mostly he ends up wearing it because he demands to feed himself and grabs the spoon.  But it is going well overall.

2) My new stepsister-in-law is in town for a little over a week.  She isn't the most mature person and was not happy about her dad marrying my mother-in-law and moving across the country so this should be a treat.

3) Reds lost yet another series to a sub .500 team.  They are 1-5-1 in their last 7 series against teams under .500.  Meanwhile they have won their last 3 or 4 against playoff bound teams.  They should be playing for the division right now instead of the wild card home field.

4) Watched the new show Dads from last week.  That was pretty awful.  Brooklyn Nine Nine could be interesting.  I'll give it a couple more episodes at least.  HIMYM and Modern Family were good.

5) I actually ran out of beer on tap at the house because I haven't been able to brew recently.  Had to correct that so I will be brewing some more of my vanilla stout this weekend.
    Any show with a laugh track is dreadful.  Actually I just hate most traditional sitcoms.

I liked the pilot episode of Brooklyn 99 but Agents of SHIELD comes on at the same time so yeah...it has to take a back seat.  I'll watch it on Hulu if they have it.

• Prime said:

Dads may have been bad (I'll take your word for it as I didn't see it) but Mom is just plain awful.  Caught parts of it Monday and it was just not good.
  • LokiFollowerLokiFollower member
    edited September 2013
    1) I got to feel LO move yesterday and it was a really cool experience that made everything seem real

2) We found two maybe locations for our wedding that have openings for our date that we set and sent the places an E-Mail for prices and when we can go and see the places

3) Only about two more weeks before we can find out what baby is and my gf might be off bed rest. We have two names picked out now from our list and they are Tristan James (personal reasons) and Evelyn Faye (More personal reasons)

4) Wonderful weather going on where I live

5) I am on vacation until next Wednesday so I get to enjoy some really nice weather and spend time with my gf.
    Lilypie - (QYVI)
    Daisypath - (cbj9)
  • #1 through #4: The dog is a pain in the ass. He was a pain in the ass before our daughter was born, but now he's really a pain in the ass. Thing is, he's 4 billion years old, nearly deaf and blind, and some force bigger than me wants him alive. He's a football-sized Chihuahua mix rescue with a single fang that was found behind a dumpster in South Central LA with bite marks and puncture wounds and all kinds of skin issues. He had a red "X" painted on him when my then-gf (now wife) adopted him from the shelter, which meant he was on deck for the needle. Her vet said, "he's a really old dog at the end of his life, at least you're giving him a nice place to die." That was nine years ago. When we started dating, he would jump up on the bed and get between us, then growl if I made a move to touch her. I called him "abuelita," as in "little grandmother." (I'm not Spanish but because he's a Chihuahua mix I thought it was appropriate; also, those growl sessions usually ended with him taking a trip to "the beach condo," aka I'd lock him in the bathroom.) He's the size of a football, but he had a grapefruit-sized tumor removed in 2010 — it was 22% of his body mass. Thought his number was up but he made it through that somehow (though he had to live in a box and be carried outside to do his business, plus no more spleen). Just as he was able to walk again he got hit by a car, completely run over. Flattened the back half of his body. They rebuilt him like the Terminator with carbon fiber parts and some kind of custom Titanium mesh screen to hold his guts in place. I was sure he was cooked, but he made it through that, too. SIx months or so and he was bouncing off the furniture again. Then we moved to NYC from LA, and he took a header off the bed, which kicked off some kind of imbalance thing that had him stumbling around like a drunk sailor screaming. Couldn't walk, couldn't sit, couldn't do anything but scream. Figured he was getting the big shot upstairs, but all he needed was some kind of surgical ear cleaning and a Vegas-sized pile of drugs. Now he happily cruises around the apartment just fine, but he $&%ts and pisses all over the place and demands attention, plus two or three walks a day, which, in New York, isn't as simple as just hooking on the leash and walking outside. That said, no matter how much of a pain in the ass he is, after everything he's been through I don't want to be the one to kill him. He clearly has friends in high places. And honestly, I like him. What a tough little SOB. But what a pain in the ass.

#5. Pumpkin ale always kinda seems like a good idea come October, but halfway through one glass I'm basically done.  

• 1. I hate teething with a passion. Also bedtime rebellion.

2. Regarding Pumpkin everything: I'm with @bklyndad that about one pumkin ale is enough for me every season. My wife THINKS she loves it but can never actually finish a beer and I hate to see anything go to waste...

3. Weather is nice here too! It was downright pleasant in the middle of the day!

4. Still debating Holiday travel plans. I may fly home solo to see my parents to save money and my sanity. But my mom won't be happy if I don't take my son, and I kinda want to take advantage that he flies free...

5. I now have Mod powers. If anything annoying pops up here, please tag me (@luckydad). Flagging always works too of course.
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BhqjipgCIAAOz7H.jpg
    -My son was born in April 2012. He pretty much rules.
  • 1) Tried to fill my car with gas but for some reason it was overflowing even though I was down to less then 1/4 tank.

2) My LO threw up all over me yesterday and is running a fever, Dr thinks he is starting another ear infection, we had 6 last year.  Ear tubes don't work with MWs family.

3) Having a really bad mental health day, have not damaged anything so I am getting better.

4) We are hoping to have at least something left in our emergency fund after we pay for her gall bladder and my sleep studies.

5) At work, our competitor told a customer that they were losing their pants on a deal so could they split the order with us.  The customer transferred the entire 40,000 axle order to my company.  Our product is now cheaper in China than a Chinese company major win for my company.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Wulfgar said:
    5) At work, our competitor told a customer that they were losing their pants on a deal so could they split the order with us.  The customer transferred the entire 40,000 axle order to my company.  Our product is now cheaper in China than a Chinese company major win for my company.
    USA! USA! USA!

• LuckyDad said:
    Wulfgar said:
    USA! USA! USA!
    Nice!
  • I should have clarified, that is with a lot of parts locally sourced in China including the tubing.  Our goal is to have everything sourced in China and just pull out the profits to the US.

• Wulfgar said:
    I should have clarified, that is with a lot of parts locally sourced in China including the tubing.  Our goal is to have everything sourced in China and just pull out the profits to the US.
    Does this make my USA chant more or less awesome?
  • 1-5: I miss my wife's breasts. I look forward to when the no-touch ban is lifted. I kinda dwell.
  • @LuckyDad, I guess the USA chant would be even more appropriate since we are doing what the Japanese and Koreans are doing with cars here where they have more US content then the Big 3.

• apbloye said:

1-5: I miss my wife's breasts. I look forward to when the no-touch ban is lifted. I kinda dwell.

What what what?!?! How can you have a no-touch ban??

Breast feeding. too,am under the same restrictins.
  • apbloye said:

apbloye said:

1-5: I miss my wife's breasts. I look forward to when the no-touch ban is lifted. I kinda dwell.

What what what?!?! How can you have a no-touch ban??
    Breast feeding. too,am under the same restrictins.

Yea I can see that. I'm not allowed to play/suck on the nipples. But thats cause she's so sensitive. I can still grab and squeeze the boob gently.

Lucky duck!
  • The term is "museum boobs". You can look, but not touch. It's due to soreness and tenderness.
  • I was lucky, I could hold and cuddle them while she was breast feeding but I didn't suck on them until after she was done breast feeding.  Sometimes I could even tease the nipples if done gently and rarely.

• Nickd25Nickd25 member
    edited September 2013
    1. My son Lucas got his first set of shots on Thursday. Poor little guy was miserable that night.

2. The Patriots are 3-0 despite no offense.

3. My fiancé has been stressing all week about going back to work full time. The anxiety has been ratcheting up all week.

4. Found out today that we are going to have to cancel our family trip to Maine. We just wasn't able to save enough money this year with all the baby stuff we had to acquire and the added cost of moving back in June.

5. The fall foliage in northern NH is perfect right now.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"