November 2013 Moms
Options

Big baby??

Well I went for my regular checkup today and happened to ask the doctor how big the baby is. He proceeded to feel the baby and say "he's a good 4.5-5 pounds" and then told me he is already head down. I said yikes! That's a big baby I'm only 32 weeks. And then he proceeded to tell me that he knew I wasent going to have a small baby! Gee thanks doc!
So I have an ultrasound scheduled for next visit to get some more measurements. A little freaked out that I'm going to have a big baby!

Re: Big baby??

• Options
    I got my LO's measurements today at a growth scan u/s. He measured 4 lbs 9 oz. at exactly 32 weeks, so it doesn't seem that crazy. The Doc put him at 69%. FWIW - my last LO kept measuring big and he ended up being 8lbs 8 oz. I think our LOs grow at different rates throughout our pregnancies. I hope this baby doesn't end up as big as the last! When's your u/s scheduled for?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

imageimageimage

• Options
    I was 31 weeks at my appt on Friday and they said Marlena was 4 lbs 6 oz and I was in the 54th percentile. But everyone has told me those weights are usually off by a bit.
    BLAD reppin'

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    OK, you need to take a deep breath. In almost every case, your body will not grow a baby too big for you to push out.

Second, those growth/size ultrasounds are notoriously off by up to two pounds in either direction. In fact, they're so inaccurate that ACOG says late 3rd trimester ultrasound should not be used to gauge the size of a baby and the size of a baby from a late 3rd tri u/s should not be used as justification for induction.

Take the measurements with a grain of salt and continue on your merry way.
    Six years of infertility and loss, four IUIs, one IVF and one very awesome little boy born via med-free birth 10.24.13.
  • Options
    Ultra

I got my LO's measurements today at a growth scan u/s. He measured 4 lbs 9 oz. at exactly 32 weeks, so it doesn't seem that crazy. The Doc put him at 69%. FWIW - my last LO kept measuring big and he ended up being 8lbs 8 oz. I think our LOs grow at different rates throughout our pregnancies. I hope this baby doesn't end up as big as the last! When's your u/s scheduled for?

It is scheduled for October 9th
  • Options
    I was told at 32 weeks that my LO is 5 1/2 lbs already :/ those measurements can be off so I wouldn't put too much into them.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I was told mine is 6.5 lbs (87%) at 34w2d. That seems huge! Hoping what I keep reading is true, that the measurements can be off :-)

• Options
    At 29 weeks, he was estimated to be 3lbs 11oz. The u/s tech kept commenting at how big he was. I wasn't shocked at all. DS1 always measured big, and was 8lbs 13oz at 39w1d.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
    My BFP Chart
    BFP 12/19/08 m/c 12/26/08 4 weeks 5 days BFP 10/12/12 m/c 11/19/12 9 weeks...love you forever my angel babies!
  • Options
    It is true that measurements can be completely thrown off by the baby's head and stomach angles during u/s. At the same time, my last LO's weight was almost exactly what was predicted from the u/s. Like PP said, your body can handle pushing out a big baby (in most cases). And really, some women tear with not so large babies. We just never know what's going to happen during labor. You'll do fine no matter what!

imageimageimage

• Options
    I was told that my first two babies were going to be close to 9 pounds. My first was 6.14 and my second 7.12. Don't worry too much...they aren't always right.
  • Options
    Perinatology u/s techs said estimates are pretty accurate when they are small, only a few ounces off in either direction. Toward the end they can be about 2 pounds off in either direction. Good luck!
  • Options
    They thought I my DS1 was going to be 9lbs and was 7 lbs 13 oz.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I was told today after my ultrasound that my baby is measuring 6lbs 3oz. I'm 34 weeks tomorrow. She did say the measurements can be off a pound in either direction. I feel like they are never accurate.
  • Options
    At my 31w check with my perinatologist, DD was measuring 4lbs.  My reaction?  "WTF!!!"

They kept insisting thats normal, and in a healthy range.  However when babies are said to grow 1lb./week at this point, she is right on the same track as DS (born 9lbs.,4oz.)
    photo notebook.jpg 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I've been told all along that LO is measuring 7-9 days ahead in growth. At my anatomy scan, he was in the 97th percentile for growth. At our 28w u/s, he is now in the 91st. At 28w they told me he was about 3lbs 11oz but I've heard similar comments about how the weight estimates can be WAY off. I'm getting additional ultrasounds to try and keep track of his growth in the next month and a half.

My husband is 6'4" so I kind of just figure we're going to have a bigger baby... but thus far no one has told me I should be worried, or mentioned a higher c-section risk.
  • Options
    I'd rather have a bigger baby than one too small...my cousin's baby wasn't at a good weight so they pushed back her due date... 
  • Options
    It's just an estimate, so don't put too much stock into it. The docs told my sister she was going to have a baby well over 8 lbs. When my nephew was born he was 6 lbs 6 oz. Your body will do what it needs to, to get that baby out. A safe delivery and healthy baby is most important! :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Well our boy twin was measuring at 4 pounds 15 ounces at our 32 week apt and baby girl twin at 4 pounds, and I was very happy they are estimated to be that big! Of course they can be wrong and your dr was just estimating by feeling your belly not an actual ultrasound. 

Unless you have GD I would be happy about a bigger rather than smaller baby. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"