2nd Trimester
Options

Hot button topic...vaccinations.

I see SO much debate on this topic. I feel that every parent has a right to raise their child how they feel.  I personally delayed vaccinating, and I only gave what I felt he needed.  I think the flu shot and chicken pox vaccines are a joke. But the parents who give all shots by the book make other people feel like neglectful parents! It's kind of annoying. I do extensive research on whatever i expose my kid to, so i believe in how I raise him. He hasn't a vaccine in a pretty long time, and that's how I want it. I just wish parents, Moms in particular, would stop jumping down eachothers throats about it!  It's pretty much as bad as the circ debate.
  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Andrew Karol-4/10/2010
Jase Eli-3/10/14

Re: Hot button topic...vaccinations.

• Options
    I'm going to stick my nose in, even though I'm totally lurking on this board (I'm on the cusp between 1st/2nd tri). 

This is a *very* nuanced issue. Vaccinations are SUPER important for *some* diseases. Rubella. Polio. Etc.

I personally agree with you about chicken pox (prior to age 10) and flu shots being unnecessary. We also delayed Hep B because the risk depending on what part of the world you live in/exposure/etc. is very low. I say "delayed" because I do believe my son should have these particular vaccines. Just not until he's a teenager.

There's a big difference between delaying some vaccines, spreading out shots (4 visits instead of 4 shots in one visit), and not doing vaccines at all. Therein lies the nuance. When I say "delay", a lot of people assume I mean "vaccines bad!!" Which of course isn't true at all.

So having an opinion on this subject, doing research, talking with your pediatrician, those are all great things we should all do. What we should *not* do, is assume or jump to conclusions when someone else speaks their opinion out loud, but instead ask questions, listen, attempt to understand, and give our own opinions in response.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

No offense intended, but you're a flucking idiot.

Chicken pox and shingles kill people. The flu kills people, especially babies and old people.

Why in the hell wouldn't you vaccinate your children against preventable diseases?!

Want them to build their immune systems? Get a dog, let them eat dirt, don't give them antibiotics every time they get sick, breastfeed (if possible). But don't go around telling people that vaccines are unnecessary, Vaccines save thousands of people every year.
    "flucking"? Ok, that made me chuckle.
    BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I think that the flu and chicken pox vaccines are important. Babies have a higher chance of complications from the flu and chicken pox. That is just my opinion. I do have very mixed feelings about the MMR. Not because of the usual "It causes autism". When my daughter got the MMR about 4 months ago it cause swelling in ALL of her lymph nodes. Even in her chest which was seen on xray. The ones in her neck and groin are still swollen and fluctuate in size from day to day. We have done all kinds of tests since they are not going away. We haven't found anything conclusive other than it happened immediately after the MMR. So I am not sure that the baby we are expecting will receive the MMR.
  • Options
    They don't lose that much money, not with all the government backing in the billions of dollars to manufacture the vaccines. That is just federal that isn't including the state taxes and funding on Vaccines. 

I don't trust the drug companies, to many drugs that have been 'perfectly alright!' are coming back years later with people now having an ear falling off or some shit like that (exaggeration naturally) Look back through history and you can see a whole line up of medications that at the time were believed to be 'good for you' but now are either banned or illegal. 

Cocaine for example was introduced into the world as "medicine" and put into everything from hair care products to the straight injections you see people using today. It was introduced in 1879 and used in commercial products all the way up to WWII (Germany mainly, it really stopped bout 1922 here in the states) 

Heroin was marketed by the Bayer company as a none addiction form of morphine and cough medicine for children from 1898 to 1910. Lets also not forget Opium was often mixed with alcohol and sold as medicine for children as well. 

Lets also not get into the hundreds of drugs that have been pulled by the FDA in recent years. So yes I will believe every word they tell me that these drugs are perfectly safe. 

• Options
    unfortunately i see little babies with severe complications from things like the flu and pertussis. and i've also had babies develop seizures after receiving a bunch of shots all at once.  so i would like to use a staggered schedule but i def see the importance of getting kids vaccinated.
  • Options

By most of the logic here, I should be dead or sick, but I'm not.  Chicken pox does not automatically lead to shingles, and you CAN get shingles without ever getting chicken pox. If it's so "irresponsible" than why is my son 100% healthy? But my older brother, who got every vax known to man, was diagnosed with severe autism at 3 years of age. My Mom didn't vax me, but after getting endless crap from people, she vaccinated my brother. That turned out great. My second brother wasn't vaccinated, and he's fine to this day. There is too much "maybe" or "possibly" or "no conclusive studies" on certain vaccines, and I'm not willing to pump unnecessary crap into my child. He has had shots, so I'm not 100% against vaccines, but I do my research, and having been an EMT, I know a thing or 2 about how the human body works. I completely think the flu shot is stupid. Nobody I know has benefitted from them, and they get sick! I'm over here, not sick, enjoying my chemical free body. and the reason that the circ debate and this are the same is because it's both stuff that "everybody does."  My friend circ'd her kid cause it's common practice. I got snubbed by a nurse when I refused it on my son. Vaccines are the same thing.  I know every ingredient that is in any vaccine that enters my child's body.  or the food he eats. I can say with confidence that most people can't say that. Their doctor gave them a vaccine schedule, and they followed it cause it's what you're supposed to do.  I would have done the same if not for my Mother.  She urged me to educate myself, and I did. Of course doctors are gunna make it seem like life or death. They don't want the liability if they tell you that you don't REALLY need it, then something freak happens. My son's natural immunity is what gets him through everyday and keeps him healthy.  He isn't sheltered in a bubble, he's exposed to germs as any child is. When he NEEDS a vaccine, he'll have it.

Andrew Karol-4/10/2010
    Jase Eli-3/10/14

• Options
    Come to think of it.. that also brings up the question on why our children also aren't getting vaccines for things like Bubonic plague, which yes is still here in the United states and people do still contract it. Typhus, Typhoid, TB, yellow fever... Diseases which in many parts of the world still run rampant, but yet was are vaccinating for things like polio which is only in four countries at the moment (many I don't think are going to be running off to Afghanistan any time soon with our infant children and American Soldiers all have the vaccine before deploying.) 

It kind of brings into question why these specific disease are vaccinated young but others aren't. Many of the diseases listed are in our own back yard, the Bubonic quite literally as prairie dogs have been known to carry the plague for years and now squirrels are being found the carry the fleas that are carrying the plague. The others can be found just south of our border in Mexico and south america (which many migrate up to the US and many are carried by mosquito's which love to make us lunch.) 

Honestly I would be more worried about the parasites my child could contract running around outside than polio. 

• Options
    I love the lack of maturity levels by the pro - vaccs. Insults, personal attacks.. and by these means that is supposed to sway people to join the pro side? I see evidence and beliefs being given by those that wish to space them out, and insults given by the pro's. 

A lot of the pro's on this board keep saying "If you don't vaccinate keep your kids away from mine! They could infect everyone!" Okay well what about the millions of adults around the world that have either not been vaccinated or have let their vaccines run out and not even realized it? They are now just as susceptible to those diseases as the un-vaccinated children. Or children and adults that have migrated over from the countries where these diseases are actually still prevalent and haven't gotten vaccinated either because of no insurance or are illegal and want to stay under the radar. Simply having your child out in public under the age of 6 months is putting them at risk you can't sit here and call mothers irresponsible for spacing out their children's vaccines when there are millions of adults in this country that have let their vaccinations go or were never vaccinated themselves. They put your child at just as much risk as any delayed child out there. Are you going to run around to every adult in Walmart going "Let me see your vaccine record!" To make sure they are vaccinated and not carrying a disease your baby may not be immune to?

And one thing people seem to constantly forget, Virus' mutate and evolve all the time. Look at the Pox string (aka Smallpox, chickenpox, monkey pox, cow pox) low mutation rates but it evolves rapidly to battle against host immunities. So these vaccines that have been around for years could in a matter of a few months become utterly worthless. Why do you think we need new flu shots every year, because the strain mutates and creates a whole new strain of flu. Note why you can get the flu shot and STILL get the flu because it's a new strain that you are not protected from. 

So if you are going to jump on the pro wagon and bash everyone that delays or doesn't for their children, you should be going after the adults that don't get vaccinated as well. 

• Options
    Right because science has never been wrong about something in the past. The Pharmaceutical companies have never lied to us before about their product. The FDA has never allowed a bad drug on the market ever... Nope. It's just a bunch of conspiracy theorist and whack jobs. That you can't argue scientific fact because it is absolute truth and everything against what some guy in a lab coat says is incorrect and made up facts. 

science is not full proof, they can be wrong and have been wrong in the past. I'm personally not going to go off blind faith. 

(I do love how people on this forum can't read, most people here have said delayed vaccines with most not doing the chicken pox. But yet everyone is screaming they aren't vaccinating them.) 

• Options
    (I do love how people on this forum can't read, most people here have said delayed vaccines with most not doing the chicken pox. But yet everyone is screaming they aren't vaccinating them.) 
    With the reasoning that Chicken Pox is no big deal ... which is wrong. It almost put me in the hospital. It killed others. 
    You know, I would just like to point out that I did not say Chicken Pox is no big deal. I said it's no big deal before the age of 10. Like others here, I did a lot of research before making any decisions to delay, and all the research I did said that contracting Chicken Pox naturally as a child gives you better immunity than the vaccine. My pediatrician agreed. By the time my son is ten years old, if he has not had it/developed immunity naturally, I will have him vaccinated. It is a much more dangerous disease as a teenager/adult.

• Options
    Debate this -

Are you seriously that incapable of reading? I know for many people on this forum it seems to be a very common thing but considering you "quoted" my entire post you had at least read more than what you wanted to read. Here let me requote a part for you.

Eventually my children will get vaccinated whether it be by natural immunity or medical, i'm just not going to shoot up a infant with every known drug to man. They can be spaced out over time.  

There this way it can't be missed, so even those that seem to lack the ability to read can see it. I never stated my children weren't getting vaccinated, I stated that some of the less necessary ones IE Hep B could be held off till slightly later in life. The only one I stated I was not doing was chickenpox as both my husband and I agree natural immunity is better. MMR was one I was doing more research into. 

As to the few that have posted about being hospitalized or nearly so from Chickenpox, it can happen it is RARE for the disease to progress that far and it also depends on the age which you got it as it is stated the older you are the worse it is. Even vaccinated you run the risk as the vaccine is only 70% -90%  effective in preventing the disease. 

• Options
    Debate this -

Are you seriously that incapable of reading? I know for many people on this forum it seems to be a very common thing but considering you "quoted" my entire post you had at least read more than what you wanted to read. Here let me requote a part for you.

Eventually my children will get vaccinated whether it be by natural immunity or medical, i'm just not going to shoot up a infant with every known drug to man. They can be spaced out over time.  

There this way it can't be missed, so even those that seem to lack the ability to read can see it. I never stated my children weren't getting vaccinated, I stated that some of the less necessary ones IE Hep B could be held off till slightly later in life. The only one I stated I was not doing was chickenpox as both my husband and I agree natural immunity is better. MMR was one I was doing more research into. 

As to the few that have posted about being hospitalized or nearly so from Chickenpox, it can happen it is RARE for the disease to progress that far and it also depends on the age which you got it as it is stated the older you are the worse it is. Even vaccinated you run the risk as the vaccine is only 70% -90%  effective in preventing the disease. 

I don't think anyone is talking about when you'll vaccinate your kids.  I think we're more focused on the claims you've made about science not knowing what it's talking about regarding vaccines.

• Options
    @DT

I fucking LOVE how this bish comes on here and tries to start shit with you. This should be fun.

Oh and @TsengAkera

I must have just been one of the RARE cases then, being put in the hospital at three years old because of CP. I'm sorry, but I would much rather take that 70% chance of the vaccine working than not protecting my daughter at all.
  • Options
    Highlight for me where I stated that you can get natural immunity to RSV, measles or pertussis. Quote for me where I stated I was not getting the RSV shot. Oh and Just so you know, Measles is one you CAN gain natural immunity to if you have had it younger in life. 

Is it true that some people can't get measles?

Yes. Some people are immune to measles, meaning that their body has already learned how to fight off the virus, and they won't become sick from it. People can become immune to measles in 2 ways. If they've already had measles earlier in life, then they are immune and won't get it again. Or, if they have gotten 2 doses of measles vaccine, they should be immune (protected from getting measles).

https://www.sfcdcp.org/measles.html  San Francisco public health department. 

Preventing new infections 
    If you've already had measles, your body has built up its immune system to fight the infection, and you can't get measles again.

https://www.mayoclinic.com/health/measles/DS00331/DSECTION=prevention  Mayo clinic 

Photo from 'Disease by Mary Dobson' 

So if you wish to highlight that and say yes I said it by all means, go ahead. 

I absolutely love how you scew words and twist them. No where did I state I was not getting Hep A or the others. I stated that Hep B could wait as it was only transmitted through bodily fluids and blood. Yes it can live for up to 7 days outside of the body. But as you stated if my kid licks a tomato can that got sneezed on.

What are ways Hepatitis B is not spread?

Hepatitis B virus is not spread by sharing eating utensils, breastfeeding, hugging, kissing, holding hands, coughing, or sneezing.

https://www.cdc.gov/hepatitis/b/bfaq.htm CDC website

And as I have stated it was the hep B that could wait a few months, I may not have a choice as they give it at birth but you never know. Hep C there is NO VACCINE for it.

Is there a vaccine that can prevent Hepatitis C?

Not yet. Vaccines are available only for Hepatitis A and Hepatitis B. Research into the development of a vaccine is under way.

https://www.cdc.gov/hepatitis/c/cfaq.htm CDC website

Hep D has to rely upon hep B in order to replicate and so in order to have hep D you have to have Hep B. 

You will have to forgive me if I have a hard time believing anything you say when simple information like that can be found anywhere but yet you were unable to look up those things for yourself. Or were you simply hoping no one was going to be bothered to look up the information.  

• Options
    Highlight for me where I stated that you can get natural immunity to RSV, measles or pertussis. Quote for me where I stated I was not getting the RSV shot. Oh and Just so you know, Measles is one you CAN gain natural immunity to if you have had it younger in life. 

Yes. Some people are immune to measles, meaning that their body has already learned how to fight off the virus, and they won't become sick from it. People can become immune to measles in 2 ways. If they've already had measles earlier in life, then they are immune and won't get it again. Or, if they have gotten 2 doses of measles vaccine, they should be immune (protected from getting measles).

If you've already had measles, your body has built up its immune system to fight the infection, and you can't get measles again.

https://www.mayoclinic.com/health/measles/DS00331/DSECTION=prevention  Mayo clinic 

I absolutely love how you scew words and twist them. No where did I state I was not getting Hep A or the others. I stated that Hep B could wait as it was only transmitted through bodily fluids and blood. Yes it can live for up to 7 days outside of the body. But as you stated if my kid licks a tomato can that got sneezed on.

Hepatitis B virus is not spread by sharing eating utensils, breastfeeding, hugging, kissing, holding hands, coughing, or sneezing.

And as I have stated it was the hep B that could wait a few months, I may not have a choice as they give it at birth but you never know. Hep C there is NO VACCINE for it.

Not yet. Vaccines are available only for Hepatitis A and Hepatitis B. Research into the development of a vaccine is under way.

Hep D has to rely upon hep B in order to replicate and so in order to have hep D you have to have Hep B. 

You will have to forgive me if I have a hard time believing anything you say when simple information like that can be found anywhere but yet you were unable to look up those things for yourself. Or were you simply hoping no one was going to be bothered to look up the information.  

Can you read?? It clearly states that 1. you either get infected by it the first time, or you get the vax! How is contracting the disease natural immunity? 
  • Options
    notreal2notreal2 member
    edited September 2013

ANd she didn't specify what hepatitis could be caught by touching objects, but as someone whose whole family (except me) got Hep  (Oh yeah, we all have anecdotes to back up our data) while eating at a restaurant, I say you are wrong.  Casual contact and touching stuff can certainly pass it on.

• Options
    MrsMuq said:

By most of the logic here, I should be dead or sick, but I'm not.  Chicken pox does not automatically lead to shingles, and you CAN get shingles without ever getting chicken pox. If it's so "irresponsible" than why is my son 100% healthy? But my older brother, who got every vax known to man, was diagnosed with severe autism at 3 years of age. My Mom didn't vax me, but after getting endless crap from people, she vaccinated my brother. That turned out great. My second brother wasn't vaccinated, and he's fine to this day. There is too much "maybe" or "possibly" or "no conclusive studies" on certain vaccines, and I'm not willing to pump unnecessary crap into my child. He has had shots, so I'm not 100% against vaccines, but I do my research, and having been an EMT, I know a thing or 2 about how the human body works. I completely think the flu shot is stupid. Nobody I know has benefitted from them, and they get sick! I'm over here, not sick, enjoying my chemical free body. and the reason that the circ debate and this are the same is because it's both stuff that "everybody does."  My friend circ'd her kid cause it's common practice. I got snubbed by a nurse when I refused it on my son. Vaccines are the same thing.  I know every ingredient that is in any vaccine that enters my child's body.  or the food he eats. I can say with confidence that most people can't say that. Their doctor gave them a vaccine schedule, and they followed it cause it's what you're supposed to do.  I would have done the same if not for my Mother.  She urged me to educate myself, and I did. Of course doctors are gunna make it seem like life or death. They don't want the liability if they tell you that you don't REALLY need it, then something freak happens. My son's natural immunity is what gets him through everyday and keeps him healthy.  He isn't sheltered in a bubble, he's exposed to germs as any child is. When he NEEDS a vaccine, he'll have it.

I have 21 cousins and 2 sisters. H has 42 cousins and 2 brothers. We all got the MMR vaccine.

Know how many have autism? 0. Zero. Zilch.

Anecdotal "evidence" is not evidence. Double blind studies and clinical trials are evidence.

And there is absolutely, positively no casual link between vaccines and autism. Those myths have been rebuked and rebuffed thousands of times. Do a bit more real research and talk to your pediatrician before you endanger your offspring's health.

I don't care if you were an EMT or how much research you've done - not vaccinating your kids because it might cause autism leads me to believe you're just another flaming idiot.
    There's not even a correlational link.

• Options
    That on I can admit I got mixed up between Natural and Acquired. Natural immunity to me has always meant contracting the disease naturally with out vaccine.  

• Options
    notreal2 said:
    ANd she didn't specify what hepatitis could be caught by touching objects, but as someone whose whole family (except me) got Hep  (Oh yeah, we all have anecdotes to back up our data) while eating at a restaurant, I say you are wrong.  Casual contact and touching stuff can certainly pass it on.
    Hep B was the only one in question as I never stated I was not getting Hep A which according to the CDC recommended shot time line is not given until the child is 12 months of age. 

And as stated hep A is transmitted through contaminated food and water via unsanitary conditions where the fecal matter of an infected person is able to contaminate food. In other words the restaurant you ate at had a person in the back that either didn't wash their hands or the products were not washed prior to being served. 

Hep C it doesn't matter how it's contracted as there is no vaccine for it. 

• Options
    Not sure if this was brought up already, but I remember having to be up to date on vaccinations before even being able to attend school. What do those parents do with their kids when they refuse vaccines?

Not sure if I buy into the autism/vaccine link though. Definitely getting my newborn vaccinated.

• Options
    You guys need to grow UP! 

• Options
    Amazes me that you all have so much time to sit and nit pick at everyone else's ideals if you dont like dont do it, if you feel that it needs to be done then do it! But GO OUTSIDE ~ enjoy your children, and live life to your fullest get out from behind your computers and let people live! Thats why we live in the United States it called being FREE! If you dont want your kid next to a "non" vaccinated kid then keep them home, dont work and stay home with your baby. Who has the time to sit and quote and re-quote what people are saying! 
  • Options
    I guess I am one of the rare people on this website that also plan on spacing them out. Most of them there is no reason for them to be gotten so young. The chicken pox is one I won't give them since the vaccine is only a temporary thing and getting the disease naturally gives you a life long immunity. Yes you can get shingles from chickenpox but it only takes a little bit of research to learn shingles is caused by the virus reawakening in the body which is almost always caused to the weakening of the immune system either due to stress or age (note why most Shingles patients are elderly) I got the chicken pox naturally, my husband got them naturally.. hell both our families have gotten them naturally and now other than possible shingles in our future we don't have to worry about contracting the disease as adults which is many times worse than contracting it as a child. Which with the vaccine you can still contract the disease it's not full proof. 

Hep B, that one can wait a while as the only way to contract hep B is through direct contact with bodily fluid and or blood. I don't plan on my infant having sex or sucking on somebody's bloody finger that has hep B. 

TDaP is about the only one I can really fully agree on being done that early on as I have read the horror stories that come from whooping cough. MMR I am going to do a hell of a lot more research on that one as that is the shot my brother got and not long after started showing signs of Autism. (They claim it doesn't, but I trust big billion dollar government sanctioned pharmaceuticals as far as I can drop kick the white house.) 

Oh. Well then. Guess you shouldn't give your (more than likely) premature twins who'll be born in cold and flu season the Synagis vaccine to prevent against RSV. Since, you know, pharma might profit from it. Have fun with that.
    AND for you! YOU ARE A SICK PERSON ~ why would you even say that she is going to have her babies premature! All your doing is starting stuff with other people, and thats horrible to say! Almost as bad as wishing illness or death upon your children! You really need to look at your kids and hope that nothing ever happens to them cause your creating a BUNCH on bed Karma for yourself! 

• Options
    Finnaroo said:
    I guess I am one of the rare people on this website that also plan on spacing them out. Most of them there is no reason for them to be gotten so young. The chicken pox is one I won't give them since the vaccine is only a temporary thing and getting the disease naturally gives you a life long immunity. Yes you can get shingles from chickenpox but it only takes a little bit of research to learn shingles is caused by the virus reawakening in the body which is almost always caused to the weakening of the immune system either due to stress or age (note why most Shingles patients are elderly) I got the chicken pox naturally, my husband got them naturally.. hell both our families have gotten them naturally and now other than possible shingles in our future we don't have to worry about contracting the disease as adults which is many times worse than contracting it as a child. Which with the vaccine you can still contract the disease it's not full proof. 

Hep B, that one can wait a while as the only way to contract hep B is through direct contact with bodily fluid and or blood. I don't plan on my infant having sex or sucking on somebody's bloody finger that has hep B. 

TDaP is about the only one I can really fully agree on being done that early on as I have read the horror stories that come from whooping cough. MMR I am going to do a hell of a lot more research on that one as that is the shot my brother got and not long after started showing signs of Autism. (They claim it doesn't, but I trust big billion dollar government sanctioned pharmaceuticals as far as I can drop kick the white house.) 

Oh. Well then. Guess you shouldn't give your (more than likely) premature twins who'll be born in cold and flu season the Synagis vaccine to prevent against RSV. Since, you know, pharma might profit from it. Have fun with that.
    AND for you! YOU ARE A SICK PERSON ~ why would you even say that she is going to have her babies premature! All your doing is starting stuff with other people, and thats horrible to say! Almost as bad as wishing illness or death upon your children! You really need to look at your kids and hope that nothing ever happens to them cause your creating a BUNCH on bed Karma for yourself! 

Ok White Knight.  Statistically speaking, multiples are much more likely to be born prematurely.  She's not wishing that tseng's babies will be born prematurely. 

As for the rest of your babble, this is not one of those "to each his own".  There is a very real and documented danger for the entire community when people stop vaccinating.  So, no, it's not my vaccinated child who would be the most at risk.  It's the newborn who hasn't had a chance to even get the vaccines, or your grandmother who's elderly, or your friend who has allergic reactions to vaccines and relies on others to be vaccinated. 

Do you really not get the irony of you saying "Go out and LIVE!!!" when it comes to people not getting vaccines.  I would very much like to live, so I'm going to need for them to comply with the vaccine schedule.  Mmmmk?  Thanks. 

ALL IM saying BEACH is enjoy your family and get off your high horse like you are better than anyone because of a decision YOUR parents made! Guess your time is so much better spent pissing people off and trying to control their ideals of what is right and whats wrong! And by the premature thing Im not dumb I know twins don't usually go full term but she was implying negative towards her! So i sincerely wish you the best day ever following what people say on here! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"