Breastfeeding
Options

Starving

Does anyone have days where they feel like no matter what they just can't eat enough?? Nursing my 8.5 mo boys and feel like a bottomless pit today. I called one of the lactation consultants the other day to get a better idea of how many calories nursing really burns and she said that she didn't think I should be eating more than an additional 300 calories and that some women actually don't need any extra calories to produce milk, even for twins. Here's to hoping that's not true!

Re: Starving

• Options
    I hope not because I definitely have those days! I go with the "let your hunger be your guide" theory!
  • Options

I'm pretty sure your LC was just wrong.... nursing requires at least 500-600 calories/day extra, and for twins that's probably closer to 1000.  Personally, I required at least 2700 calories/day to maintain my supply while BFing full time, and I did not gain weight eating that much.

Actually, research has shown that even women in the most poverty stricken countries that are malnourished can produce an adequate milk suiply.
    :\">
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I hear ya! Whether I need it or not, I've never been as hungry as I have been while nursing these last 12.5 months. And I weigh less now, so it's being burned up somehow.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    MRoxy0628 said:

I hear ya! Whether I need it or not, I've never been as hungry as I have been while nursing these last 12.5 months. And I weigh less now, so it's being burned up somehow.

Same here! (Except 6.5 months for me :) )
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    TTC# 1 since 5/10
    Me:34 Type 1 Diabetes, Ankylosing Spondylitis, Hypothyroid DH:35 Perfect
    DX: Unexplained IF
    Many IUI's with various meds all BFFN
    IVF #1 11/11 canceled due to OHSS
    IVF #2 Feb/March 2012 ET of 2 on day 3 4/7 BFP! 5/1 u/s blighted ovum
    IVF #3 July 2012 ET of 3 on day 3 7/24 BFP!
    Healthy baby girl born at 36w4d on 3/9/13

TTC #2
    IVF #4 May/June 2014 ER 6/4 18R 8M 8F ET 6/9 1 blast, 2 frosties
    Beta 6/18 BFFN

FET of 2 blasts 7/24...BFP!
    Healthy baby girl born at 36w3d on 3/17/15

TTC#3
    IVF #5 June 2018- PGS planned, no surviving embryos
    IVF #6 August 2018- ET of 2 on day 3 - Chemical pregnancy
    IVF #7 August 2019-....?
  • Options

I'm pretty sure your LC was just wrong.... nursing requires at least 500-600 calories/day extra, and for twins that's probably closer to 1000.  Personally, I required at least 2700 calories/day to maintain my supply while BFing full time, and I did not gain weight eating that much.

Actually, research has shown that even women in the most poverty stricken countries that are malnourished can produce an adequate milk suiply.
    :\">

If they are able to bF their babies full time...but pumping isn't as good at emptying the breast as baby, so while pumping at work, it did cause a supply drop for me.  And yes, babies will get the milk they need at mom's expense for the most part....but it's not good to put baby's health before your own by not eating enough for both of you.

Good points!
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    MRoxy0628 said:
    Ditto. I'm still soooo hungry 12 months into nursing. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"