Breastfeeding

Pumping questions/help?

Looking for advice to make sure I am doing things right.

This is baby 3 but first time "breastfeeding" I put qoutes on that because right now I am just pumping and freezing till we get the yay or nay to give it to him. Doc is making sure he does not have an allergy like ds2.

Right now I am pumping right after I feed ds3 a bottle (about every 3 hours) but at night he is only waking up once at night to eat (already back at birthweight and past it lol)

The first time I pump in the morning I get about 5oz (total) then about 3oz each time after that. I have over 40oz in the freezer. I let him nurse a little to help him to not forget.

Is there anything else I need to be doing? Also I feel like I can not drink enough like I am constantly drinking water is that normal? Any tips of the trade?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Pumping questions/help?

• It sounds like you are doing well!  Pumping about an ounce an hour over the course of day is average....it's good to pump a bit more than you need in the beginning b/c it's harder to maintain a supply when exclusively pumping than when BFing directly.

I'm very confused about your allergy comment....is your LO drinking one of the special formulas then?  Even babies with MSPI can breastfeed safely if mom limits her diet. 

Constantly drinking water is very normal :-)

I found it easy in those early days to pump while I fed LO the bottle, just to save time.

The allergy is a milk protein allergy and its really hard to cut out completely so right now he is on soy only till bloodwork comes back should be by next Monday. The doc thinks he should be fine but wants to be cautious.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"