Late Term and Child Loss

When to start trying again after a D&E....?

HI all, I just have a question for any of you who might have gone through a similar experience...we found out at our 20 week anatomy scan (a time when you never think anything could go wrong, and you just want a confirmation of the sex!) that our baby boy had severe brain damage (agenesis of the corpus collosum among other things), and would live a horrible life (if he even survived after birth which was questionable...).  We terminated about 4 weeks ago this past Friday, and said good-bye to our precious boy, Chase (we plan to name our next, knock-on-wood after him by using the first letter, 'C'), and I still have not seen AF.  I felt like she was rearing her ugly head a few times, but nope, nothing yet.  So, I have a few questions...for those of you who went through similar experiences, when did AF return?  And what did your drs. say about trying again?  Wait 2 mos, 2 cycles of AF, or longer like 3 mos. or 3 cycles of AF...or did some say you can start right away?  Any insight/advice/help is greatly appreciate. Thank you, and I'm so very sorry for all your losses...

Re: When to start trying again after a D&E....?

• I am so sorry for the loss of your precious boy, Chase.  My loss was at 34 weeks, so I don't have any advice to share about the d&e, but I did get my 1st AF about 5 weeks later.  My doctor recommended we wait 3 cycles and then have a consult with MFM.  The MFM doctor said he typically recommends waiting 3-6 months after the loss to try again.  Every situation is different, so it is best to ask your doctor what is right for you and your situation.  Again, I am so sorry you find yourself here and hope you can find some comfort in this board.  
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers    
      *All AL Welcome*    imageimage

• I am very sorry for your loss. I was just reading this article this morning. Its about TTC after a loss. https://projectsweetpeas.blogspot.com/2013/09/trying-to-conceive-after-loss.html

I delivered at 36 weeks. AF didnt return for 13 weeks (I was on the long spectrum. Average is 6-10 weeks.) Since it wasnt a medical procedure, we were cleared to start soon after. Most drs recommend waiting until after at least one cycle has come. 
    Lilypie - (qptF)

"Elsie Irene was born sleeping at 35w 6d on December 8, 2012. Mommy and Daddy miss you sweet girl."

• Loading the player...
  • I am so sorry for the loss of your son.

I had a very similar situation as yours and had my D&E at 19 weeks.  AF returned roughly 4-5 weeks later, however you will get a range of answers on this...it can literally be anywhere from 4-12 weeks.  I recently had a MMC and had to wait 10 weeks before I got AF.

As for trying again, my ob originally said to wait 6 months...after 4 months she told me that we could go ahead and try again.  With most later loss D&E's it seems the norm is 4-6 months due to the amount of scaping they had to do on your uterus.  It is really something that you need to ask your OB about because a lot of it depends on your personal surgery as well as your medical history.  Hope that helps!

8/12-Suprise BFP- Sweet Bunny Born Sleeping 11/21/12 (19 weeks)

-5/7/13- MMC (8 Weeks)

11/6/13- BO discovered at 7 weeks- natural MC 11/25/13

8/14- Surpise IF dx...low AMH (.24)- moving on to IVF

IVF #1- 11/14- 6R5M4F=2 perfect frosties

12/19/14- FET of 2 embabies = BFP!!!  One Little Bean EDD: 9/3/15

Everyone Welcome.

• So sorry for the loss of your sweet boy, Chase. I didn't have a D & E but AF took 11 weeks to return. Really not to unusual to take a while. Please follow your doctor's advice, as he/she knows you and your case the best. I had no complications and had a vaginal birth and was able to try after our 6 week postpartum appointment.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic   image image

My Blog

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

BFP# 1 7/7/12 Beautiful DD born still at 36 weeks 5 days on 3/2/13
    Diagnosed with PCOS in 2005. Started Metformin July 2013

BFP # 2 8/7/14 EDD 4/22/15
    Please be our rainbow!!

**All AL Welcome**

• Hello, we lost our daughter under similar circumstances. I am so very sorry for your loss. I had a D&E, followed by a rare complication, and then a D&C a month later. I was advised to wait a minimum of 6 months, but that may have been due to the complication and multiple procedures. I had a D&C several years back after a missed miscarriage and was advised to wait 3 cycles. With the most recent loss AF didn't return until 8 weeks after the D&C (so really 12 weeks after D&E). 
    I am a mother to two daughters. Our first is a lovely and vibrant three-year old. Our second, passed away during the sixth month of pregnancy (June 2012).
  • ***siggy warning***

I am so so sorry for the loss of your sweet Chase.

As for trying again, your dr will definitely have a recommendation for you. We lost our daughter at 20w4d and I ended up with a D&C afterwards. My dr recommended waiting 3-6 months for emotional reasons but said physically we could try after my period returned. It took 9.5 weeks for my period to return and we started trying that cycle and fell pregnant.

Again I am sorry for your loss and good luck when you do start trying again.
    Married 11/23/11, TTC starting 10/12, BFP#1 11/30/12, Adoption of stepson finalized 03/19/13,Loss of our daughter at 20w4d due to incompetent cervix 03/27/13, BFP#2 06/28/13, DS2 born 3/1/14.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I'm so sorry for you loss of Chase. 

I didn't have a D&C, however, my first AF was 6-7 weeks after giving birth.  My OB told us we could start trying again whenever we wanted but said it was best to wait 1 or 2 cycles, mostly so we would be able to date a pregnancy.

As mentioned, please follow up with your OB - and be sure to ask "why" if they give you advise you weren't expecting.

Again, so sorry for your loss.
    ~ Leah, Rachel and Gabriel were born on May 27, 2013 (23 weeks) ~ Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"