Food Allergy

Food Challenge Fail

I don't post on here often, but I need some support (I am PMS weepy, so I am probably overreacting a tad).  I have celiac, so we chose to keep C gluten free until she was old enough to let us know if she was hurting, had an upset stomach, etc.  She's now 16 months and while far from being able to tell us those things in so many words, is definitely able to communicate with us.  We were talking about how much easier life would be (as far as daycare and outings) if she could eat gluten, and so yesterday I let my guard down and we did a challenge.  A little bit with breakfast, on reaction.  A little bit with lunch, no reaction.  A little bit with dinner, found a rash all over her trunk when we took her for a bath!  I feel awful!  I don't get the rash, so it didn't even occur to me to check for a rash, and she was in long pants/sleeves all day so we couldn't see it.  It doesn't seem to be bothering her at all, which is luckily, but it's not pretty.  She also couldn't keep her balance today, and we could tell it bugging her that she kept falling over sideways.  I get really bad brain fog when I get glutened, so I'm betting that her lack of balance (compared to her norm, I get that she's a toddler) was related to the gluten.  Sigh.  I just feel like I should have stuck to my guns on this one and not let my husband sweet talk with dreams of easy outings!  Ah well, lesson learned, and no more gluten for a while!

Married DH 7/30/11

CSC arrived 5/7/12 

CHC arrived 6/2/14

Re: Food Challenge Fail

• I'm going to.  I have the genes for it and can't eat it, though I don't have a formal diagnosis as they wanted me to eat wheat for 6 weeks and then have a gut biopsy.  Nuh uh. 

The blood tests for celiac itself are notoriously untrustworthy, and always came back negative for me, so I don't see any point in doing that.  If she has the genes (fairly obvious at this point), she'll be gluten free going forward.  If she doesn't have the genes for celiac, we'll get allergy testing done and go from there.  When she gets old enough to understand all of this, obviously I will help her take a more active roll in her health and she can decide if she wants to test again. 

Married DH 7/30/11

CSC arrived 5/7/12 

CHC arrived 6/2/14

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"