February 2013 Moms

Tips for LO with a cold

DS has come down with his first cold. He's chipper as usual, God bless him, but I feel awful for him. I just went in to check on him and feel for fever and he's snoring he's so congested. :( I know there are no cough/cold medicines for infants' but is there anything else I can do to keep him comfortable? We've put Baby Vicks on his feet with socks on, and he gets washed out with saline once or twice a day (which he haaaaates lol). Any insight would be great.

Re: Tips for LO with a cold

• Stand in a bathroom with the door closed and run a very hot steam shower. Also prop up his crib mattress... They always seem to get stuffier when they are lying flat. I hope he feels better !!
  • Oh no!!!! Rory still has his little cold too...I hope he didn't make Jax sick.  :(

View Full Size Image    View Full Size Image

• Loading the player...
  • We're in the same boat as you right now.  And I feel awful, because it was MY cold that DD caught. :-(

I've been trying to do saline nose drops, but she's been fighting me so hard on it that barely anything makes it up her nose, and she's so congested when she wakes up in the morning.  But she's in a good mood, no fever, has a normal appetite, etc. so I'm hoping she'll feel better in a couple of days. 

If she's still significantly stuffy tomorrow, I'm planning on running a hot shower and locking us in the bathroom for a bit before bedtime.  *sigh*  Our poor babies...

• DD got her first cold yesterday too. She and my fiance both caught it from me. We've been sucking the snot out when she seems really congested, and I'm going to turn on the humidifier tonight. At least she napped well today; she probably needed it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We're in the same boat.  I thought he was getting over it, but then it got worse today.  He's still in good spirits, but when he gets congested it is heartbreaking.  I am breaking out the humidifier tonight and praying he STTN (he was up for an hour last night, crying and crying...no bueno).

• Both my husband and the baby is sick :( I've been doing the saline drops, baby vapor rub and stuck a pillow under his mattress so it's inclined. Thinking about running the humidifier in his room. He has the frog one and I stopped using it during the summer.

Also those boogie wipes are great for crusty noses.
    Married: August 2008
    DS born: February 2013
    TTC #2: Nov. 14
    Chemical pregnancy 09/16/15
    BFP: 12/25/15 EDD: 09/04/16
  • Yep to all of this.  We run a humidifier, do the steam shower trick, saline drops, boogie wipes

DS1: Quinn - 10.22.10 and DS2: Cole - 01.18.13

• Yep. Saline drops, suck out the nose, and pray that it passes quickly. Baby colds are awful and both our girls started coming down with one last night.

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
    BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
    BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

• Thanks, ladies! It sounds like I have been doing most of what is suggested. But we will try the shower thing and inclining the mattress tonight. @drea926 No worries! Between daycare and the fact that 90% of my class of second graders pick their nose and wipe it on things, I am quite positive Rory didn't give Jax the cold lol.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"