Natural Birth
Options

induction for sua

This is my second baby with Single Artery Umbilical cord. Basically, the cord has one artery when there is normally two. The u/s showed all organs are healthy and so far growth is on track.  We will have another u/s soon to check up on growth just in case.
With my ODD she went a week after my due date and I had an induction scheduled for the day I went into labor. It was cancelled because there were no beds available and I went into labor anyways.  
The reason I was given for her induction was that they were worried about her cord causing an issue. I didn't question it then because I was having contractions picked up on the monitors. This time, I switched to midwives and when I asked if induction would be considered because of sua, I was given a vague answer. I have not been able to find any research that shows induction to be necessary for sua but I was looking for any insights you ladies might have. We want to avoid induction if at all possible and are hoping for a Bradley birth.

Re: induction for sua

• Options
    My SIL's second baby had this.  She was with OBs who didn't strike me as being particularly NB friendly, and they weren't recommending induction unless the extra monitoring showed a problem.  Everything always looked great and she went into spontaneous labor at 39 1/2 weeks.  Baby was perfect and weighed a full pound more than his brother did.  

• Options
    I used an OB, but she was NB friendly and very respectful of my wishes to avoid induction as much as possible. Anyhow, my baby was SUA. As a result, my OB decided (and I agreed) the best course of action was to start NST tests with AFI measurement around 37 weeks. I continued with the NSTs weekly and then did a BPP as well at 40 weeks. I began to get low reading on my fluid estimates (AFI) test at 41w. I had them done over 3 days (and with me drinking tons of water) and the trend made me nervous enough to finally agree to induce. So I did get induced at 41w3d. I would not have gone past 42w anyway with my OB or care team, so I was nearly out of time.

My OB was extremely respectful of my induction birth plan. After cervical ripening, I agreed to start on pitocin, but we had an agreement that we would try turning it completely off after my labor was established. So we turned it off after 2 hours and it pretty much stayed off the rest of my induced labor.

I think a lot of OBs want to induce SUA babies before due date or on, and I think there is not much science to back that up. So, I would start the conversation early on that.

IVF #1 ET 1 d3 embryo 10/30/11 BFP
    3 Embryos frozen (1 d5, 2 d6)

DS born 07/29/12

FET #1 ET 1 d5 embryo 02/10/15 BFN

FET #2 1 d6 embryo didn't survive thaw, transferred last d6. CP :(

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    @amandaleigh1
    Did your ob say that low fluid was related to sua? I totally agree with induction if there is a reason like yours. Thanks for the insight.
  • Options
    @jamrosj, my OB thought it may have been related because she is of the opinion that SUA placentas crap out earlier. But I was post dates at the time and 38 years old, so those were factors as well. There is really no way to know for sure.

IVF #1 ET 1 d3 embryo 10/30/11 BFP
    3 Embryos frozen (1 d5, 2 d6)

DS born 07/29/12

FET #1 ET 1 d5 embryo 02/10/15 BFN

FET #2 1 d6 embryo didn't survive thaw, transferred last d6. CP :(

• Options
    Update: Talked to another midwife in the practice today and she said that she sees no reason for induction as long as my NSTs and U/S look good.  She also suggested taking RRLT starting at 36 weeks to get my body ready.  
  • Options
    jamrosj said:
    Update: Talked to another midwife in the practice today and she said that she sees no reason for induction as long as my NSTs and U/S look good.  She also suggested taking RRLT starting at 36 weeks to get my body ready.  
    Glad to hear it!  That all sounds perfect!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"