Homeschooling

This week's poll for fun

1 - What are you learning about in your house this week?
2 - What was your favorite lesson/activity of the week?
3 - Have you read any good books either to your kids or for yourself that you would recommend to others?
4 - Do you have any fun field trips planned for the fall?
5 - Any products, resources, etc. that you found this week that you either found helpful or you have added to your wish list?

Re: This week's poll for fun

• wifeofadamwifeofadam member
    edited September 2013
    1 - We finish up our octopus unit today.  This has been my favorite unit of our curriculum so far.  I never knew how amazing an octopus really is and I think I might have enjoyed learning about them even more than the kids did.  They have sort of become my new favorite creature. 

On top of studying the octopus, DS1 pretty much mastered simple subtraction this week, which was awesome.  We had several great Bible lessons.  DS2 practiced writing his name a lot and it is getting a lot better.

2 - My favorite activity was when we made an ocean scene together.  I got out a big sheet of butcher paper and the three oldest kids used watercolors to make it look like an underwater ocean scene.  After the paint dried they cut out pictures of sea life from magazines.  It turned out so beautifully that we put it in our hallway to enjoy.  It was just a fun time and I loved seeing the three kids work together on something.

3 - We enjoyed Suzanna Tate's underwater nature series this week.  The books had cute stories about different ocean creatures, but were also filled with facts.  We read several of them multiple times.

4 - My kids have a jar and when they fill it with pom-poms they get to go to the zoo (zoo was their choice).  We're getting close to filling it, so I think we'll probably be doing the trip in a few weeks before the weather gets too cool.  I'm hoping to do it in 3-4 weeks when we are learning about bugs, because there is an exhibit that would be fun for them.

5 - I found these free spelling lists.  We're going to try them for a while with DS1 instead of buying a curriculum. 

Hope you had a great week of learning, everyone!

• I think I did last week's, lol!

But we've just wrapped up the week.  Next week we are going to learn about chores.  DD has been fighting us on doing simple things lately-- picking up her dishes, putting away her laundry, etc.  So, until our curriculum arrives, we're picking units.

2. My favorite lesson is going to be when she gets all of her clothes put away in the closet BEFORE The dog lies on them.

3. Don't really have any recommendations.  I'm actually looking for other ideas.  I know that the Bernstein Bears have a book on chores, and I've picked out a  few bible verses, and an Amelia Bedelia book, but does anyone have other recs for kid stories on doing chores?

4. We are planning a field trip to the Stables soon.  Not really related to academics, but its something that she has really wanted to do.  I can relate caring for horses to doing chores and being responsible. 

5. Not so much yet.  I'm still wanting math manipulatives to help with understanding value.  She struggled with math in Kindergarten and while she kind of understands the concept of adding or taking away items when we talk about it out loud, seeing the equation written with numbers means nothing to her.  I'm not sure she fully comprehends that the number 3 means the same thing as holding three apples in your hand.  Though she went to a really great school for Kindergarten, she just didn't do well in the math department. :(

We're Going to be a Family of 5!

Lilypie - (PaHE) Lilypie - (4noI)

Lilypie - (2q9u)

• Loading the player...
  • 1 - What are you learning about in your house this week?
    This week we read Ten Little Rubber Ducks and did some activities, checked out some books on butterflies and visited the butterfly exhibit at our local zoo.

2 - What was your favorite lesson/activity of the week?
    4YO just really seems to be enjoying school and wants to "do school" all the time, which is great.

3 - Have you read any good books either to your kids or for yourself that you would recommend to others? Both of my girls love the Berenstein bears, so they enjoy anything from that series

4 - Do you have any fun field trips planned for the fall?
    Cider mills and apple orchards

5 - Any products, resources, etc. that you found this week that you either found helpful or you have added to your wish list? Nothing too noteworty, but I took a trip to the Dollar Tree and found a ton of useful finds for our craft section of the curriculum.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding.
    In all your ways acknowledge Him,and He shall direct your paths.
    Proverbs 3:5-6

• 1 - What are you learning about in your house this week?- We're still in genesis or bible, vowels for readig/writing, and working on counting. 
    2 - What was your favorite lesson/activity of the week?- We did a sin explosion with baking soda and vinegar. 
    3 - Have you read any good books either to your kids or for yourself that you would recommend to others?- We are revisiting all of the books we have. I think for Christmas I am going to weed out some board books and get some older ones. 
    4 - Do you have any fun field trips planned for the fall?- Yes, to the hospital to have this baby. ;)
    5 - Any products, resources, etc. that you found this week that you either found helpful or you have added to your wish list? no. I suck this week. 

DD1 | Jan 2009
    DD2 | June 2011
    DS1 | Oct 2013
       ADD3 | Oct 2014 (April 2001)
    DS2 | June 2016
    DS3 | Dec 2018

Due with baby blob August 2021

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"