January 2013 Moms

8 month old refusing food

My 8 month old DD has now decided she is completely done with pureed foods and us feeding her with a spoon.  On rare occassions, she will let us feed her.  However, the last couple of days she is starting to refuse to eat anything other than puffs, yogurt melts, or crunchies.  We've tried sweet potatoes, regular potatoes, peaches, bananas, grapes, scrambled eggs, carrots, peas, green beans, cheerios, etc.  One day, she will love almost anything we put in front of her, and then other days she will pick it up and toss it aside, and then if we put puffs or something along those lines, she eats it right up.  Any advice? Is all this normal?

Also, on a side note, she is even refusing to nurse most of the day.  We'll get maybe 1-2 good feedings in until night.

Re: 8 month old refusing food

• I guess my understanding that during sleep regressions/wonder weeks/developmental/teething periods, your LO's sleep and eating patterns can be totally disrupted.  Is she still urinating normally, etc.? 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yes, we probably have 4-5 wet diapers a day.  She just got her bottom teeth, and I'm thinking her top 2 are close behind, so maybe that's all it is!  Once I feel like I got her figured out, she changes it up on me again!  They like to keep us on our toes, I guess.  THanks for the response.
  • Loading the player...
  • Good to know I'm not alone! Thank you

On days DD doesn't nurse as much, I definitely do not hesitate to feed her at night since she probably needs it. 

• Sounds totally normal to me.  Kids will go through picky periods sometimes.  My advice would be to keep offering the good stuff.  It's easy to be worried and to give in and only feed them the things you know they will eat just because you want them to eat something, but it's a really bad habit to start.  Just keep offering good food and they'll get over it.  

A lot of kids will start refusing purees/spoon feeding and only want to go to finger foods so keep that in mind as well.  Don't worry though, the good thing about now is they still get the vast majority of their nutrients from formula/BM so at least you don't have to be really worried about their food intake.  It will be much harder to deal with when they go through a picky phase later on.
  • I my DD also did this, up until recently. I think part of it was teething. She's back on puréed now, along with puppy's and some small pieces of banana, etc. she likes for me to put the purée on a spoon, and the. Put the spoon in her tray, so she can pick it up and do it herself. A little messy and time-consuming, but she's eating and learning to be independent at the same time!
    Our little Samosa arrives in January!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"