Illinois Babies
Options

Non dominational god parents?

Hello. We're expecting our first child in Jan and we do want to have god parents for our child, however neither of us practice the Catholic faith, he is Catholic but I am Christian.
I do love the idea of God Parents,
But we don't want to go through a Catholic Church.
Does anyone know of a non-dominational chapel near the River Grove/Elmwood Park/Melrose Park area?

Re: Non dominational god parents?

• Options
    ZooCrewMomZooCrewMom member
    edited September 2013
    You will probably just need to start calling protestant churches, since you are not a member or any. Us Catholics are Christian too :) Good luck, I'm guessing one of the big box churches would be the way to go. 

One thing to note is that for the Catholic Church to recognize a baptism it must have water and the Trinitarian formula (Father, Son and Holy Spirit) during the rite. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Proud Mom to the ZooCrew - Jack 3 years old and Joey 21 months. 
    Excited and delighted to welcome the 3rd member of the ZooCrew in 2015! We can't wait to meet you Matthew Henry!
  • Options
    Just curious, but why do you need a church at all? Couldn't you just designate people as godparents?  Or are you looking to have some sort of ceremony for your child?  What is the "idea" of godparents that you like? 

I am Catholic and the point of baptism is not to designate or celebrate godparents, it is specific to the sacrament itself.  The godparents are supposed to serve as guides and a support system for the child as they develop in their faith.  You might have a totally different notion of a "godparent" that you might not need a religion to reinforce.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I agree with nortonmol. I was raised catholic but don't plan on baptizing our child since we do not practice Catholicism. We plan on having "guidparents" and using our wedding officiant to do a little name changing ceremony, so to speak
  • Options
    I am a godmother to my best friend's daughter and since I am a member of a non-demon church, the Catholic church only recognized me as a "sponsor". (I come from a Catholic background). It's not a bad idea to look for a non-demon church out there that you can be a part of - baby dedications are quite moving and a huge blessing. :-)
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"