August 2012 Moms
Options

S/O religion

Are you the same religion as your SO/Spouse?

Is it tricky if not?
Then and now. How did my boy get so big? 

Re: S/O religion

• Options
    DH is not Catholic. He is Christian though. His parents go to church now but didn't when he was growing up. The only problem is he sometimes feels uncomfortable because we weren't married in the Catholic Church. Priests will often try to get you to get your marriage recognized by the church, he just doesn't like that conversation. Luckily it doesn't happen often.
    victoria5month samantha5
  • Options
    My DH and are the same religion - that was very important to me.

My XBF wasn't Jewish. This caused a lot of issues.  He refused to go to family dinners or holidays that were not 'his holidays.'  It caused a lot of friction between us.  He was a dick so that is besides the point.

My brother married a girl not Jewish.  It appears that they are raising their son with no religion.  Which is fine - everyone can do their own thing! 

I am very involved with my synagogue.  Unfortunately, I see a lot of problems with interfaith families.  I'm not saying it can't work - it is just hard.  One woman I am friendly with said her now XH was using the religion as a weapon against her in the divorce proceedings. 
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

My DH and are the same religion - that was very important to me.

My XBF wasn't Jewish. This caused a lot of issues.  He refused to go to family dinners or holidays that were not 'his holidays.'  It caused a lot of friction between us.  He was a dick so that is besides the point.

My brother married a girl not Jewish.  It appears that they are raising their son with no religion.  Which is fine - everyone can do their own thing! 

I am very involved with my synagogue.  Unfortunately, I see a lot of problems with interfaith families.  I'm not saying it can't work - it is just hard.  One woman I am friendly with said her now XH was using the religion as a weapon against her in the divorce proceedings. 

That's horrible your ex acted like that. I love the Jewish Holidays. Is that weird? I used to teach at a Jewish preschool.

It was vaguely important to me I marry someone Carholic but I didn't exclusively date Catholics. It was by accident I married a Catholic but we have very similar values. I think it's partly from growing up in liberal Catholic churches.

• Options
    My husband and I are both non-practicing Catholics.  After being a practicing Catholic for 33 years and thinking about it more and more this year, I faded away from the church and separated myself from it.  I believe in God more than I do religion and its "rules."  It wouldn't have mattered to me what religion DH was when we married.
    imagethe-dude-with-a-white-russian
  • Options
    We are an interfaith family, H is Jewish. We decided long ago that our kids were going to be raised Jewish. It's been a little harder then I expected. I was raised in a church, but have many issues due to life experiences. I feel more connected to Judaism but unsure about conversion. I participate in all the holidays and H is fine with attending my family holidays. It's working for us.
    BFP #1 5/16/11 - M/C 5/20/11 BFP #2 7/26/11 - Chemical Pregnancy 7/28/11 BFP #3 8/31/11 - Chemical Pregnancy 9/10/11 (Worst Birthday Ever!!) BFP #4 12/3/11 DD born 8/13 Perfect in every way!! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    DH and I are both Christians. We don't identify with a denomination. 
    SeptsiggyBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    We are both reformed Christians (believe in reformed theology).  We both happened to come from PCA (Presbyterian Church in America) backgrounds.  It was very important to both of us to marry a Christian, since it is the foundation of who we are.

My mom was a Christian and my dad was not when I was growing up, and it was very difficult for her that her husband did not share her deeply-held faith.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    MoFreeMoFree member
    edited September 2013
    My DH was born and raised Jewish and I was born and raised Catholic. When we started discussing marriage he was very clear that he wanted his future children to be raised Jewish. The first time I attended services in a synagogue I knew I wanted to learn more about Judaism and eventually convert. My official conversion was a few months before my wedding.

Unfortunately my parents, especially my father, have not been accepting of my new faith. They did not attend the conversion ceremony or my LO's baby naming. Who knows if they will even attend Lila's bat mitzvah in 2025. While it hurts me, it doesn't affect my religious practice. My choice to become Jewish and lead my life according to Jewish values was one if the best decisions I made in my life.
    TTC since 3-08 IVF # 1 Dec 2011 BFP DD born at 31 weeks 6-24-12

FET #1 Dec 2013 BFN

FET # 2 Feb 2014 BFN

No more frosties

IVF #2. September 2014

PGD yielded 2 perfect 5d blasts

SET November 9, 2014
    Nov 23, 2014. Another BFN

Not sure where to go from here.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    My husband goes from being Christian, to agnostic, to atheist, to insane judgmental old-testament only Christian.  It's tough on our relationship, especially when he spouts off idiotic bigot bullshit.  

"To be able to practice five things everywhere under heaven constitutes perfect virtue...gravity, generosity of soul, sincerity, earnestness, and kindness."
  • Options

DH and I are both born-again Christians. We grew up in different denominations, but both made our way to nondenominational churches, where we accepted Christ.

It was very important to me to marry a Christian who held similar beliefs. I actually broke up with my college BF because we were so different in this area, and I realized that wasn't what I wanted for my future family.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    My husband and I are both Christians.  I never dated someone outside of my faith and neither did my husband.  We pretty well agree on most points of theology and were both raised in the church.  Both of our families have been very active in the church and we are now trying to find our own niche to help others.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Some days it's hard. I'm pagan and hubs is Christian. The only time we have ann issue is halloween.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

We were both raised Catholic. I don't know where we belong exactly. I think DH is most comfortable in a Catholic church, because that is what he is use to. I, however, have been going to an Anglican church, and really like it. I don't fully accept everything that is said, but not so much that it is a deal-breaker for me. I really like the church moms club that I joined, I love the support.

My sister and her husband have an inter-faith marriage. He is Jewish, and she is Catholic. They had both a priest and Rabbi marry them. They baptized their son, and did a Jewish naming ceremony, and celebrate both holidays or both religions.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    RNbock2 said:

We were both raised Catholic. I don't know where we belong exactly. I think DH is most comfortable in a Catholic church, because that is what he is use to. I, however, have been going to an Anglican church, and really like it. I don't fully accept everything that is said, but not so much that it is a deal-breaker for me. I really like the church moms club that I joined, I love the support.

My sister and her husband have an inter-faith marriage. He is Jewish, and she is Catholic. They had both a priest and Rabbi marry them. They baptized their son, and did a Jewish naming ceremony, and celebrate both holidays or both religions.

When we were discussing our exodus from the Catholic Church, the Anglican came up. They share communion and it seems very similar but different in ways I like. I could see going that way one day. 

• Options
    I was born and raised Catholic, DH isn't part of a religion, but his mom is born-again Christian and tried taking him and his siblings to church services like that when they were younger (lots of issues there, not gonna discuss). Neither DH nor I practice any religion, I fell away from the Church when I was in HS. We do celebrate holidays with my family, though. We see it more as keeping with a family tradition rather than a religious tradition. We plan to raise DS with the opportunity to make his own religious decisions.
  • Options
    I am catholic and DH was Presbyterian but did not practice. The only time he would go to church was with me and my family. We got married in the catholic church and went pretty regularly. After our first year of marriage he decided to take the classes needed to see if he would want to become Catholic. Ended up getting confirmed into the church. I am glad that he decided to do this as I think it is important that DD sees her mom and dad both actively participating in religion.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Both DH and I are born and raised Catholic. Wyatt was baptism catholic and we attend mass most Sundays. We also celebrate Lent and other Catholic traditions.
    I was raised to pray in the home before meals, before bed, when I wake up. DH wasn't raised praying at home at all so while we are the same religion, we practice differently.
    100_7533(1) Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    RNbock2RNbock2 member
    edited September 2013
    Some days it's hard. I'm pagan and hubs is Christian. The only time we have ann issue is halloween.

@ lady_tytah - just out of curiosity, what are your beliefs about Halloween? And what are your Dh's?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    DH and I are both Catholic and DS was baptised Catholic.  We really need to get back into going to church regularly since I feel it's important for DS.

Trying for #1 since May 2010   l   DX ~ Unexplained Infertility June 2011

IUI #1&2 = BFN; IUI #3 = BFP, m/c @ 6 weeks

November '11 ~ IVF#1 ~ ER 11/18 (29R, 17F) ~ 5dt of one beautiful blast on 11/23 = BFP!!

Beta #1 9dp5dt = 116, P4 = 28 ~ Beta #2 13dp5dt = 700 ~ Beta #3 20dp5dt = 9500, P4 = 26

1st u/s 12/27 - hb of 156!! EDD 8.10.12 :)   **TEAM GREEN!**

Sweet baby boy born 8.18.12

Trying for #2

FET #1 - October '13 - c/p   l   FET #2 - December '13 - cancelled :(   l   FET #2.2 - 1.30.14 - BFN

~ More testing - hysteroscopy, endometrial biopsy & more b/w - all normal / negative~

Surprise BFP while waiting on FET #3 ~ beta #1 500; beta #2 1600; first u/s 4/3 - measuring 5w5d, no hb yet!; 2nd u/s 4/10 - hb 132, measuring 6w6d - EDD 11.29.14 :)    **TEAM GREEN!**

Beautiful baby girl born 11.24.14

• Options
     I believe in God more than I do religion and its "rules."  It wouldn't have mattered to me what religion DH was when we married.
    I'm catholic and DH is Methodist,  but we're both pretty non-practicing at the moment. We have discussed if we started going to church again we'd do a Methodist church. It's a non-issue really for us.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    RNbock2 said:

@ lady_tytah - just out of curiosity, what are your beliefs about Halloween? And what are your Dh's?
    I'm more realistic and historical about it. Halloween/Samhain is a time to honor our past loved ones. A Day of the Dead but Celtic (European/UK). You remember the good times without the heaviness. The Church used to have their own Day of the Dead/Memorial Day in May. It was then moved to Oct to try and bring more pagans into Church then was later condemned and was used as a till to control the ppl.
    Hubs despite me showing him what the day is actually all about still refuses to take any part. He doesn't want the kids doing anything but I'm not having it. It's a sore point in our opposite views. His mom raised him border line JW, no tree for Christmas. Didn't even call it Christmas, just end of the yr presents, no Disney because of magic, the closest to a fun holiday they got was Easter but couldn't do egg hunting.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    FI is Catholic, I was raised Protestant. We've found no problems with it. We both believe in God and, to us, that is what is important.

I am converting, but the classes to do don't work around my current schedule.
    A12 Sig Challenge - Favorite Fall Show!
    SCANDAL!

• Options
    We are the same religion. We were both born and raised Apostolic Pentecostal.  He is actually 5th generation.  I am 2nd Gen.  

Mom of 2 monkeys and 1 on the way!
           Christian12/06, Liam 08/12, Monkey #3 10/10 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"