November 2012 Moms
Options

how do you handle protests from baby?

So, LO is just figuring out how to complain and protest if she doesn't want to do something.  Take away her toy?  Screams.  Change her when she doesn't want to?  Screams.   Put her in the carseat when she isn't in the mood?  Screams.

DH and I feel like we are at the cusp of a whole new era of LO expressing her opinions, and we aren't quite sure the best way to minimize upsetting her while still doing what we need to do.  We are mainly trying to distract her for now (e.g. handing her a toy while she is complaining about going in the carseat), but the changing table situation is only escalating and distracting is loosing its effectiveness, and I imagine there are going to be more situations where we are going to have to overrule her... 

How do you guys handle LO's protests?  Anyone have parenting books they recommend?

Re: how do you handle protests from baby?

• Options
    No book recs. but LO does this sometimes too. We just keep a calm tone, tell him no and move on. Sometimes that involves distraction with a toy but usually not. In our case we step outside. Something about being outside chills him out totally.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
    imageimage
  • Options
    We do exactly what @hummingbirdbaby3 does.  DS2 has taken to folding in half and screaming bloody murder any time he doesn't want to do something, and I just have to walk away.  He'll stop and then go play with a toy.  I would  definitely try distractions if you could, like handing her a toy or something while you put her in the car seat.
    I: November 2011 
    M: November 2012
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Like PPs above.. Sometimes he screams and cries at my feet while I'm trying to cook (or basically anything if I'm standing very long.) but if I tell him no and ignore it sometimes he will give up and go play. Other times it gets worse to the "got to pick him up" stage.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

F throws fits about stuff, too.  He h a t e s getting his diaper changed or getting clothes on.  Ditto the distractions.  I think that's about all you can do at this age.

"A new baby is like the beginning of all things--wonder, hope, a dream of possibilities."

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    A was hhhooorrrrriblllee about diaper changes all last week!!this week he's good! lol I guess he got as tired of it as I did! Lol
  • Options
    we have this too, she hates getting dressed and changed. I try and distract and sing but it doesnt always work.
  • Options
    Same thing - try to distract her. We explain to her what we are going to do first. If she starts protesting before things start, we wait a few seconds and explain again. We do that on repeat and some days it helps. Other days not so much.

We've also started to put diapers on her while she is standing. Turns out this is kind of tricky with cloth diapers, though easier with a hybrid than prefolds. As for clothes, I try to make a game of it. She's okay with most things, but flips out over pants.
  • Options

We also do the distraction technique.  Diaper changes are getting harder, but they need to be done, so I just try to do them as quick as possible and ignore her behavior.

I was not prepared for her to start showing discontent this early. Its hard not to laugh at her because the protests are usually over something ridiculous! 

Wickedly nice Step Mom to JJ since 5/2/09
    Born 7/26/01-- Adopted 3/6/02

Two and a Half Years, Too Many Treatments, One Precious Miracle
    Abby born 11/5/12 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"