Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Tips to get newborn to sleep at night?

My LO is 11 days old. She's now more alert and awake more. The night feedings are getting hard because she doesn't want to sleep after eating. They turn into 2 hour events. She doesn't cry until we put her down. She'll sometimes fall askero in our arms then wake when we put her down. Or, she'll just be wide awake and looking around. Any tips on hour to get her to sleep more easily at night?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Tips to get newborn to sleep at night?

• youtube "vacuum cleaner white noise." This is the best discovery I've made since our LO was born! I literally put my phone on him while I'm rocking him to sleep and then I put the phone in his RnP with him. When we go to bed 2 hours later, I just slowly turn it down and then turn it off.
  • Definitely keep all the lights super low or off and don't talk to your LO. I feel like that helped, but mostly my DD just grew out of it by 4-5 weeks or so. The best advice I didn't take at first was to sleep when the baby sleeps. Some days that means very little at night. 

Me:27, DH:28 - DX: MFI, varicocele repair Nov 2011 
    Post-Op SA: Count- 15 million, Motility- 75%, Morphology- 3% 
    IVF with ICSI - Stimming 10/4/12 - 10/13/12, Lupron Trigger
    ER 10/18/1212 eggs retrieved, 8 mature, 5 fertilized
    5 day transfer 10/23/12, 3 frosties
    Beta #1 11/5/12: 453, Beta #2 11/7/12: 1,013, DD born 7/19/13
  • Loading the player...
  • Juliebird8307Juliebird8307 member
    edited September 2013
    Thanks ladies. We are swaddling. Last night we started with the white noise and keeping the too dark (other than a night light). Is it possible that she sleeps too much during the day?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I think the better they nap during the day, the better they end up sleeping at night. My rule however, was always to wake them up t the 90 minute mark. That way they know it is a nap and not time to sleep through the night. I always tried to nurse, play (tummy time, talking, even go for a walk) and then nap. That usually got us pretty close to the three hour mark. Like other people said, white noise helps for sure. Also, if you can get away with not changing their diaper in the middle of the night, try that. Changing the diaper wakes them up and stimulates them.

Thanks. We'll try to shorten the naps. She has done some that are over two hours. The routine was basically feed her for an hour (this is getting shorter now that I'm better with BF) and then she would fall asleep for the next two hours. But now she's staying up more.

She poops almost every time she eats, so we can't avoid the diaper change at night.
  • What about swaddling during feedings?  I've been told to unswaddle her so that she is cooler and I can mess with her feet and stuff to keep her awake for feedings.  Otherwise, she seems to fall asleep really quickly.  Would it be better to just let her eat and fall asleep instead of trying to keep her up to eat more?
  • I agree that when LO naps good during the day he sleeps better at night. Days where he doesn't nap well he's so over tired he doesn't sleep very good at night. He usually wake up twice a night, once around midnight and again around 4. I usually change him as soon as he wakes up ( in the dark) feed him and put him back down. For the 4am if there isn't poop I don't change him. He wakes up around 6 or 7 but if he's awake too long at second feeding he's up for the day. He is 9 weeks though, in the beginning he would nurse then take forever to go back down. I guess it's just something they grow out of
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"