Pregnant after 35
Options

CVS or no CVS?

I had my first tri test results on Friday (NT scan plus bloodwork) and everything went great! They changed my odds on Downs from 1 in 86 (starting point for 41 years old) to 1 in 360 and Tri 18 odds went to 1 in 9,600. I am of course super relieved. I also had blood drawn for the Maternity 21 test to get further verification and find out the sex.  I'm now thinking that if the numbers continue to look positive, is there any reason to go ahead with a CVS? My doctor has suggested it to me and I actually had to sign a temporary waiver at my Friday appt saying I was opting not to have the CVS right then. I feel like at this point the odds of Down's are equal to or less likely than the odds of a CVS causing a problem. But then again because of my age I feel like I am being encouraged to still consider a CVS. I know the window for a CVS is not that long, so just looking for any advice, or thought from any of you who may be or have been in the same boat? I have nothing in my genetic history or my husband's to worry about and have had no other issues or problems. Thanks!!
imageimagePregnancy Ticker

Re: CVS or no CVS?

• Options
    It's a personal call. I can't say what is do in your shoes but more than likely we'd get it. We already have a special needs child. I'm 44 so another one is more likely.
  • Options
    I'm 36 and was offered CVS or Amnio but I elected to wait until my Harmony results came in.  Baby was measuring too big for the NT Scan to be accurate, so once my Harmony test said <1:10,000 chance I felt really comfortable declining Amnio (it was too late for CVS by then.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm going today for my NT and first blood draw, I will have No further testing regardless of my results but I sure wouldn't with yours.  I hope you have a happy and healthy pregnancy and baby!
  • Options
    Wow, I'm actually very surprised your dr would be pushing for cvs if your results were so good. Did he tell you what the cutoff was for screening pos on the Downs? I know they all use different numbers. I screened pos for Downs but my dr ordered a level 2 ultrasound rather than jumping straight to amnio. Everything looked great on the scan so we did not do any further testing. I really didn't want to do anything that carried a risk. It's a very personal decision though.
    Me:41, DH:41 Positive for MTHFR mutations- one copy C677T, one copy A1298C. One daughter born on Thanksgiving in 2013. Six losses.
  • Options
    Thank you everyone for sharing your thoughts/experiences. I did not see my regular doctor for the NT but was referred to a center that specializes in prenatal testing. They did not give me a cutoff for positive Downs but after the results were in both the administering doctor and all the nurses were very excited for me and smiling and congratulatory so I felt good about that. Perhaps they just wanted to be absolutely certain that I was aware of all the options in front of me. I will probably just wait for the Maternity 21 test results, and if by any chance something scary shows up I can consider amnio since it will be too late for CVS. It is great there are so many options for testing, but it does get overwhelming and hard to know if each decision is the right one. But I guess no matter what you choose there is always some risk one way or the other, right?

On another note, did anyone else get a DVD of their NT scan? I got a DVD after which I wasn't expecting. Probably boring for anyone but my parents to watch, but neat to have!
    imageimagePregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I wasn't offered a DVD at my level 2, which took the place of the regular NT scan. I wish I would have been, that would have been really cool. It probably isn't standard practice where I went. If they even could have given us one we probably would have had to pay for it.
    Me:41, DH:41 Positive for MTHFR mutations- one copy C677T, one copy A1298C. One daughter born on Thanksgiving in 2013. Six losses.
  • Options
    I didn't get a DVD of my NT scan, either, but I did go to an elective place (paid out of pocket) for gender determination and got a DVD of that.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"