Pregnant after a Loss
Options

MIL vent that I admit is totally a 1st world problem

MamaWombatMamaWombat member
edited September 2013 in Pregnant after a Loss
For years, my MIL has insisted on giving me her old clothes. This has been a source of strain for several reasons, not least of which is that although I'm not overweight, I'm not as skinny as she was at my age, and also that the clothes she wore in the early 90s are mostly nothing I would wear out of the house even on the rare occasions they do fit.  It's always a bit frustrating because there's nothing like being made to try on too-tight clothes to lower your self-esteem. And despite the fact that I explain frequently that most of her clothes are too small for me, it never seems to sink in.

So, now that I'm pregnant, she is very kindly and generously looking for maternity clothes in re-sale shops and just sent us a box that I opened today. It has 4 lovely maternity dresses that I would totally wear...but they're all size small and too tight. And it's so disappointing because they really are lovely, I totally would wear them, and money is very tight for us right now. I really do appreciate her thoughtfulness, but it turns out that trying on too-small clothes that I actually like is even more depressing than too-small clothes I hate! 

Thanks for listening to my vent. 
imageimage
BFP #1 08/05/12. EDD 4/15/13 m/c 08/27/12
BFP #2 06/05/13. EDD 2/16/2014 (Team Blue). Baby Wombat born 2/20/2014 7lb. 11oz and 20 in.
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: MIL vent that I admit is totally a 1st world problem

• Options
    Aw, that does suck. Could you ask her if next time she goes, you could go with her? Then she'd see what size fits you best.
    BFP #1 - Mango - 6/11/12, EDD 2/22/12 Natural MC 7/15/12
    BFP #2 - Nacho - 10/14/12, EDD 6/20/13, MMC 8 weeks, D&C 11/16/12
    All testing shows both H and I are perfectly normal. Baby Nacho had triploidy. 
    Back to normal business December 2012
    BFP #3 - Froggy - 1/15/13, EDD 9/27/13 TEAM GREEN
    It's a girl! Alice - Born 9/20/13, 8lbs 2oz

imageimage
  • Options
    That made me laugh! Sorry about your MIL sometimes it's harder when someone is well intentioned and kind and their nice thoughts make you feel like crap. like you said it's a first word problem and it makes you feel bad to complain, but NOBODY likes to try on too small clothes!

Married my keeper ~ 7.14.07
    Furbaby joined us ~ 9.21.07
    First BFP ~ 7.4.11
    DD Born ~ 3.14.12
    Second BFP ~ Feb 2013 ~ EDD ~ 10.19.13
    Angel Baby born ~ 5.1.13

imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Sadly, she lives in Arizona, so accompanying her isn't an option. I've told her my sizes many times before, but it can't hurt to try again. Somehow she just doesn't listen. Maybe it would be more effective if I got DH to talk to her and play up the "you're making my wife feel fat - please buy size mediums so I don't have to reassure her that she's not." :-)
    imageimage
    BFP #1 08/05/12. EDD 4/15/13 m/c 08/27/12
    BFP #2 06/05/13. EDD 2/16/2014 (Team Blue). Baby Wombat born 2/20/2014 7lb. 11oz and 20 in.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Try selling them on Craigslist. Maybe you can get enough to shop for something that actually fits!  I've had some luck at Salvation Army lately and even on a super tight budget every prego mama deserves to feel pretty and comfy!
  • Options
    That stinks! I have almost the opposite problem. My MIL just lost ALOT of weight and is now trying to give me all of her old clothes, some of which still have tags! I am a big girl, but she used to wear 22/24 and on my worst day I am an 18. Some of her big clothes fit me now as maternity so I am getting some use out of them but I still feel bigger than usual when she offers me sizes that are way too large. As you said, a first world problem since every woman dreams of just being handed free clothing.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

***Congratulations to my TTCAL buddy Roxyttandme!! It's a GIRL!! Charlotte arrived on 9/29!!!!***
    PGaL/PAL Always Welcome!!
  • Options
    Does she know your size?  Seems like her heart is in the right place, but it might need a little guidance ;)

BFP#2 2.5.11 (EDD 10.15.11) DS born 9.28.11

BFP#4 8.27.13 (EDD 5.6.14) DD born 4.23.14

Lilypie - (2llN)

Lilypie - (2L9u)

My Recipe Blog
    ~All AL'ers welcome~

• Options

Does she know your size?  Seems like her heart is in the right place, but it might need a little guidance ;)

Quite a bit of guidance I think lol. I'm sorry she is doing this, I hope DH can stress your size.

mean_girls_35345Image and video hosting by TinyPic         PAL Sep challenge George Takei image
    Started dating in 5/9/05, Married 6/25/11
    Started TTC Feb 2013, BFP #1 3/4/13 EDD 11/10/13. MMC 4/9/13 D&C 4/22/13.
    BFP #2 7/17/13, EDD 3/29/14 ended in a CP on 7/22/13.
    BFP#3 8/19/13 EDD 5/3/14 Nerdling was born 4/29/14, welcome little one!
     All AL welcome.

image   Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Aww sorry it bummed you out *hugs* I can imagine that would be frustrating, but it does sound like she really cares :) my MIL points out every time I put on weight, I kind of wish she saw me as skinnier than I really am lol.
    BFP#1 9/28/2012 - EDD 6/3/2013 - MMC discovered 11/21/2012 @ 12w2d - D&C 11/24/2012
    BFP#2 4/4/2013 - Born at 37w3d on 11/26/13 via emergency c-section
    Loving our beautiful rainbow baby boy Archer!

~*All AL Welcome*~
  • Options
    I totally understand. My bff always tries to give me her clothes and though she dresses really cute, she's a size xs and I'm a med. I have told her repeatedly that I won't be able to wear anything size s that she gives me but she still wants me to "try it". Sometimes I just take things and say thank you and pass them along to someone else. It's easier than having to repeat myself again and again. But my bf doesn't live nearby so she would never notice that I'm not actually wearing anything she has given me:)

BFP#1  9/5/12, MMC, MC confirmed 10/9/12,          
                D&C 12/12/12
    BFP#2 7/30/13, EDD 4/12/14, DS born 4/14/14

imageimage

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"