Working Moms

DC Rant: am I rediculous?

JWSchwarzJWSchwarz member
edited September 2013 in Working Moms
Deleting the posts. Thanks everyone for your thoughtful advice:)

Re: DC Rant: am I rediculous?

• There's a couple things in here that would bug me. The fact that your son sounds so unhappy at dropoff is a red flag for me. Transitions are hard but he should be getting more comfortable with time.

I would not expect him to be held much in a toddler room. Yes, if he's crying and needs comforting but not as a regular part if the day.

And I'm confused by your water/milk instructions as written here. You want them to offer water but when she says they gave water, you want to know why it wasn't milk? Are you sure you're giving them clearer instructions?

I do think its weird he can't have two sippys. My kid has one for milk, one for water. I'm not sure if that's normal at our DC but no one has given me any trouble about it.

I wouldn't be cool with the high chair or the attitude thing either. Definitely worth talking to the director about. Maybe this teacher is just too burnt out by the long days to do her best in which case they need more staff!
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am think it's unrealistic to expect a lot of holding in a toddler room. 

I think it IS realistic to expect a teacher who is warm and nurturing and who doles out a lot of hugs/smiles/pats.  I also think a toddler teacher, when asked about holding, should respond in a way that reassures you she understands the emotional and developmental needs of toddlers and tells you how she's meeting them.

This woman sounds terrible.  I would talk to be the director.

The cup thing is bizarre , but I do wonder if it's a misunderstanding (it can't be that the kids are only given three opportunities to have a drink during a 10 hour day, right?!). Again the bigger issue is just that she chooses to dig in her heels with you rather than reassure you that your son is staying hydrated.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I am truly not an alarmist, but I would be looking for new care. Being rough with your child with you there makes me worry what happens when you aren't there. The only using one cup thing is annoying and wrong, but in isolation wouldn't upset me too much. Leaving him upset each day and finding him clingy after could be normal or could be that he isn't happy. Since you know the director isn't supportive, I would look for chance rather than talk to her. Good luck!
  • I think some of the things like the one sippy request and water issue are no bug deal. I would let those go and choose other battles.

I think the biggest problem is what you describe as the attitude of the teacher. You need to feel good about the person that you are leaving your child with. Unfortunately I don't think talking to the director is going to change the personality if the teacher so I would start looking for something you like better.
  • QueSrahQueSrah member
    edited September 2013

Her attitude would really bother me.  It sounds like there are possibly other things going on that don't involve you, but she should be able to dial back her anger when she's actually with the kids.

The clinginess ... that could partly be his age and the room change.  We had real issues with separation anxiety at 18 months, at a lovely in-home where there were no bad vibes or recent chcange.  So I wouldn't necessarily read too much into his sadness and clinginess at dropoff.

There's nothing to say you can't find another daycare that makes you feel more comfortable and try again there in elementary school if you have your heart set on the school.

imageimageimage
  • To largely follow on the others - yes, her attitude would bother me, a LOT.  And I would talk to the director.

But no,  I wouldn't expect my toddler, in a room full of toddlers, to be held a lot through out the day. 

And the water/milk thing - I'm a little confused by that.  And I also think that in a normal situation (w/ a caring teacher, that is) that you need to put some trust in the teacher to know when to give drinks. 

I'd would talk to the director, though, about the expectations around what drinks are supplied by parents and what is served when.  Is the teacher really being an ass about it, or she is following the basic schedule that the school set out?  And is it a SCHOOL "rule" that they want to limit how many sippy cups are in the rooms (2 cups per kid could be a lot....). 

I would approach this in a 'fact finding' manner.  Not in a "I WANT IT DONE MY WAY!" manner. 
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• I agree with others. The only issue I hear of is the attitude of the teacher.  It sounds like she may be unhappy in her current situation and it's reflected through her behavior.  Or maybe teaching a toddler age is not a good fit for her and she needs older or younger children. Regardless, talk to the director about the concern.  If you do not see changes in a couple of weeks I would look for another DC.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My children's teachers have always been warm and welcoming in the mornings. They take them in arms if they are upset at drop off, and hold them as able/needed during the day. I would not feel comfortable leaving my children with a teacher who is rough or grumpy.
    DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.
  • I agree with the majority of the PP - some of what you mentioned would bother me. I just want to add that you may not want to put too much emphasis on how rough drop-off is for your son. DS transitioned to a new room about 4 weeks ago and still cries and clings to me at drop-off. At first I thought it was that the new teachers aren't as warm and friendly (his old teachers were excellent!). But I spent a lot of time watching him on the webcam and his new teachers do try very hard with him - it is just taking him a while to adjust.
  • I'd find a new place asap.

At 18 months old there should be one employee for each 2-3 kids so attention shouldn't be a problem.

This caretaker shouldn't be near kids if can't be flexible, the my way of highway stuff isn't even acceptable for kids 3x his age.
  • SoMoNY said:
    I'd find a new place asap.

At 18 months old there should be one employee for each 2-3 kids so attention shouldn't be a problem.

This caretaker shouldn't be near kids if can't be flexible, the my way of highway stuff isn't even acceptable for kids 3x his age.
    18:2 is NOT the normal ratio for 1.5 year olds.  No way, no how.

OP, I agree with the others that the teacher seems to be an issue.  The other things, some are worth a question (like the sippy cups) but some things I think you need to let go.  1.5 year olds are rarely held in daycare and I trust my provider to give adequate liquids throughout the day.
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Our state rule for toddler room ratio is 1:6 (or 7 - I can't remember).  They don't get "held" a lot but plenty of hugs and kisses and when they're reading stories typically one kid is on the teacher's lap.  The drink thing sounds weird.  Can your kid ask for drinks?  (like does he say or sign drink/milk/water)?  Our DC only offers milk at meals but water with snacks and the kids can ask for water anytime.  
    Have you talked to any of the other parents in that room? Maybe find out if this is normal or what their take on it is.

Since ratios go up with age I would assume that if you left you would still have a shot at getting back in for elementary.  

image   image

• elmoali said:
    SoMoNY said:

OP, I agree with the others that the teacher seems to be an issue.  The other things, some are worth a question (like the sippy cups) but some things I think you need to let go.  1.5 year olds are rarely held in daycare and I trust my provider to give adequate liquids throughout the day.
    Out here it is, our Monterssori location was only 2-3 kids per worker.

• SoMoNY said:
    elmoali said:
    SoMoNY said:

Out here it is, our Monterssori location was only 2-3 kids per worker.

That's likely more a school policy, which means no one can say every daycare should have 1 provider for a max of 3 children.  Nice to have, yes, but I can say it's not the law everywhere (not saying it's not the law across the board but it's definitely not everywhere)
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• 1:5 in my state, as well. Not saying toddlers need to be held all day, but a child who is upset at drop off should be comforted by the teacher until they settle.
    DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.
  • Thanks for your thoughts everyone. Today was really unbelievable. The teacher sent home a pamphlet on 'separation anxiety' yesterday and basically told me to drop him off and leave immediately because I was interfering with his room. I reminded her that it's not her room, and that I am the parent and SHE ACTUALLY TOLD ME I SHOULD JUST QUIT MY JOB AND STAY AT HOME WITH HIM IF I DON'T LIKE HOW SHE RUNS THINGS. WTF? That is just a cheap shot.

I am just speechless. I would switch him but honestly they aren't abusing him or neglecting him, they just piss me off from time to time. And I have looked into other places but there really isn't a better option that wouldn't come with its share of problems.

UG. 
  • Are you going ot talk to the director?  That teachers behavior is unacceptable, to be honest.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• JWSchwarz said:
    Thanks for your thoughts everyone. Today was really unbelievable. The teacher sent home a pamphlet on 'separation anxiety' yesterday and basically told me to drop him off and leave immediately because I was interfering with his room. I reminded her that it's not her room, and that I am the parent and SHE ACTUALLY TOLD ME I SHOULD JUST QUIT MY JOB AND STAY AT HOME WITH HIM IF I DON'T LIKE HOW SHE RUNS THINGS. WTF? That is just a cheap shot.

I am just speechless. I would switch him but honestly they aren't abusing him or neglecting him, they just piss me off from time to time. And I have looked into other places but there really isn't a better option that wouldn't come with its share of problems.

UG. 
    yeah, I'd find a new place asap before I punched her in the face

• This teacher sounds terrible. I would definitely raise your very valid concerns to the directors and honestly would tell them that if your son can't be placed with a different teacher then you will look to go elsewhere. I wouldn't tolerate any of that. The holding thing to me is less of an issue, but everything else is a deal-breaker for me.
    imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • JWSchwarz said:
    Thanks for your thoughts everyone. Today was really unbelievable. The teacher sent home a pamphlet on 'separation anxiety' yesterday and basically told me to drop him off and leave immediately because I was interfering with his room. I reminded her that it's not her room, and that I am the parent and SHE ACTUALLY TOLD ME I SHOULD JUST QUIT MY JOB AND STAY AT HOME WITH HIM IF I DON'T LIKE HOW SHE RUNS THINGS. WTF? That is just a cheap shot.

UG. 
    WHAT!?? OK, her a$$ would be fired if I could do anything about it. I would honestly get my kid out of there ASAP and tell the directors they need to get rid of that teacher. I would tell them that you will also be sure to spread the word with reviews, etc... if they don't respond to that immediately.
  • Wow. The teacher is a giant bitch. I would try to get rid of her and if the DC is not responsive, I would leave. And if I ever saw someone be rough with my child, I would fuck them up. That really pisses me off! I hope you can get her away from your child ASAP! Good luck!!
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Oh man this gets me boiling...I'd like to see her try and rough someone up her own size.  I DGAF if the daycare is decent or not..she is the one that is looking over your child and now that she has an attitude with you, just think of the attitude or negligence that she is trickling down to your child.  Are there any FB groups or DHS approved in-home daycares that could possibly have referrals that you could look into...sooner than later.  It seems like you don't handle confrontation very well, is there someone that you could bring with you to pull him out?  Someone less involved but not afraid to give her a dose of her own shit medicine?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I know I responded to the other post first, but I feel compelled to respond here too.  First, you are not her boss.  If you want a daycare person you can boss around you should hire one.  What are you going to do when this child gets to grade school?  Are you going to be that teacher's boss too?  How many kids are in this room?  8? 10? 20?  I can about imagine what it would be like to explain to 7 other upset toddlers why little Johnny gets two cups and you don't.  Or, alternatively, lets have 16 cups on the lunch table!

Now, the woman shouldn't be rough with your child... but you're being "that mom".  Stop it.  There's a reason the director is stone walling you.  You're "that mom"!

• I know I responded to the other post first, but I feel compelled to respond here too.  First, you are not her boss.  If you want a daycare person you can boss around you should hire one.  What are you going to do when this child gets to grade school?  Are you going to be that teacher's boss too?  How many kids are in this room?  8? 10? 20?  I can about imagine what it would be like to explain to 7 other upset toddlers why little Johnny gets two cups and you don't.  Or, alternatively, lets have 16 cups on the lunch table!

Now, the woman shouldn't be rough with your child... but you're being "that mom".  Stop it.  There's a reason the director is stone walling you.  You're "that mom"!

I agree with this.  Sorry.  I think you may be causing a  lot of the problem.  However, what she said to you was unacceptable. 
  • Wow.  You've had some interesting responses on here.  If it were me, I would be talking with the director about my concerns while looking for alternative daycare.  Nothing about what you have described sounds remotely tolerable to me.  The multiple sippy cup thing - meh.  Being rough with a kid - inexcusable.  
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Well mal922, it's fine that we disagree and I don't mind being in the minority at all.  Having a nanny sounds like a great solution for you... if you want what you want, a nanny is the way to go!  That's all I'm saying. 

• JWSchwarz said:

UG. 
    WHAT!?? OK, her a$$ would be fired if I could do anything about it. I would honestly get my kid out of there ASAP and tell the directors they need to get rid of that teacher. I would tell them that you will also be sure to spread the word with reviews, etc... if they don't respond to that immediately.

I know I responded to the other post first, but I feel compelled to respond here too.  First, you are not her boss.  If you want a daycare person you can boss around you should hire one.  What are you going to do when this child gets to grade school?  Are you going to be that teacher's boss too?  How many kids are in this room?  8? 10? 20?  I can about imagine what it would be like to explain to 7 other upset toddlers why little Johnny gets two cups and you don't.  Or, alternatively, lets have 16 cups on the lunch table!

You're kidding, right? Yikes... How dare a mom care about her child's well-being. Her LO gets a milk cup and a water cup. How on earth is that a big deal or a problem? And to be rough with a child? You might be a 'teacher' with lots of 'experience' but that doesn't make you a good one.
  • Thanks all. I really appreciate all the responses and it helps me look at this from different perspectives. I am getting way too pissed off about it though, so I might not check back on responses or I'm not going to be able to sleep again tonight!

• JWSchwarz said:

UG. 

I know I responded to the other post first, but I feel compelled to respond here too.  First, you are not her boss.  If you want a daycare person you can boss around you should hire one.  What are you going to do when this child gets to grade school?  Are you going to be that teacher's boss too?  How many kids are in this room?  8? 10? 20?  I can about imagine what it would be like to explain to 7 other upset toddlers why little Johnny gets two cups and you don't.  Or, alternatively, lets have 16 cups on the lunch table!

You're kidding, right? Yikes... How dare a mom care about her child's well-being. Her LO gets a milk cup and a water cup. How on earth is that a big deal or a problem? And to be rough with a child? You might be a 'teacher' with lots of 'experience' but that doesn't make you a good one.

Kidding?  Afraid not, babe!  You've obviously never worked with a large group of toddlers or you'd know why this might cause problems, which is why I'm not phased about your opinion on my qualifications. I guess you missed all the times I said she shouldn't be rough with a child, and the spot where the OP said the child wasn't being abused or mistreated.  That's ok.  Have a nice Friday!

• edited September 2013

She may not be her boss, but she is paying the DCP to ensure her child's well being. Yes, the DCP has certain practices they follow (i.e. the one sippy cup) but that's no excuse for being rough with the child. I would rather be "that mom" who is vocal about my child's care than a mom who lets her child be mistreated.

Edited to add that I know you weren't saying its okay for her to be rough with the child. I do think that's reason alone to find a new provider if the director won't do anything. I'm also a big believer in making sure customers are well treated in any industry.
  • st.augbridest.augbride member
    edited September 2013
    JWSchwarz said:

UG. 

Kidding?  Afraid not, babe!  You've obviously never worked with a large group of toddlers or you'd know why this might cause problems, which is why I'm not phased about your opinion on my qualifications. I guess you missed all the times I said she shouldn't be rough with a child, and the spot where the OP said the child wasn't being abused or mistreated.  That's ok.  Have a nice Friday!

The only thing I'm 'afraid' of is that someone with your attitude works with young children. My toddler's teachers are awesome and easily accommodate my son's needs, which include extra items for food and drink due to medical issues. Thank God someone like you isn't in his room. Oh wait, if you were, I'd be THAT MOM and get my son out of there in pursuit of loving, high quality care that I pay a large percentage of my income for!

• JWSchwarz said:

UG. 

The only thing I'm 'afraid' of is that someone with your attitude works with young children. My toddler's teachers are awesome and easily accommodate my son's needs, which include extra items for food and drink due to medical issues. Thank God someone like you isn't in his room. Oh wait, if you were, I'd be THAT MOM and get my son out of there in pursuit of loving, high quality care that I pay a large percentage of my income for!

Goodness you're taking this personally!  She asked what we thought, I said what I thought.  I stand by what I said, and I apologized for and explained the harshness of my tone.  There is a difference between a medical issue and a person who feels entitled to have everything their way. (a trait the OP and the teacher in question seem to share.)  I don't care what you think of me, because it seems that if I knew you in real life you might be THAT PERSON... so I've been tempted to stop checking this thread, but you're delivery is quite entertaining so I can't help myself.  Keep it up! 

To the OP, I'm sorry my honest comment turned your thread into something of a zoo.  I hope you didn't delete the post on my account.
    :)

• st.augbridest.augbride member
    edited September 2013
    JWSchwarz said:

UG. 

Goodness you're taking this personally!  She asked what we thought, I said what I thought.  I stand by what I said, and I apologized for and explained the harshness of my tone.  There is a difference between a medical issue and a person who feels entitled to have everything their way. (a trait the OP and the teacher in question seem to share.)  I don't care what you think of me, because it seems that if I knew you in real life you might be THAT PERSON... so I've been tempted to stop checking this thread, but you're delivery is quite entertaining so I can't help myself.  Keep it up! 

To the OP, I'm sorry my honest comment turned your thread into something of a zoo.  I hope you didn't delete the post on my account.

It just was the tone of your comment. This post in general really got me worked up because it is hard enough to leave your kid under someone else's care, and it is clear that for the OP, this teacher is not providing the best care possible and that makes me sad for her. So to have someone come on and attack the OP for asking for certain things to happen for her LO seems so out of place to me. That's why I got so upset. She already seemed nervous to deal with confrontation when it was clearly necessary and she was clearly in the right, and instead you tried to make her feel like it was partially her fault. A teacher needs to know how to appropriately deal with kids and parents of all personalities. So even if there was an unreasonable request, a good teacher will come up with a solution that helps make everyone comfortable or at least offer a reasonable alternative and explanation. If she can't help with two cups (again, so bizarre to me as it is a simple request and I see kids in my son's rooms with all sorts of little different things here and there), then don't make the OP out to feel as if she is being obnoxious for asking. Having bot water and milk seems pretty darn reasonable and normal. Anyhow, your tone was very harsh and 'holier than thou' and it was not necessary given the situation.

Also, my son's teachers actually don't know his medical issues related to feeding other than the fact that he is 'extra picky'. They have never asked. They just happily help us out. We try to not 'out' my son unless necessary with his medical complications so that nobody treats him differently for it since he is a bright, happy kid.

And I'm DONE!

•  

JWSchwarz said:

UG. 

It just was the tone of your comment. This post in general really got me worked up because it is hard enough to leave your kid under someone else's care, and it is clear that for the OP, this teacher is not providing the best care possible and that makes me sad for her. So to have someone come on and attack the OP for asking for certain things to happen for her LO seems so out of place to me. That's why I got so upset. She already seemed nervous to deal with confrontation when it was clearly necessary and she was clearly in the right, and instead you tried to make her feel like it was partially her fault. A teacher needs to know how to appropriately deal with kids and parents of all personalities. So even if there was an unreasonable request, a good teacher will come up with a solution that helps make everyone comfortable or at least offer a reasonable alternative and explanation. If she can't help with two cups (again, so bizarre to me as it is a simple request and I see kids in my son's rooms with all sorts of little different things here and there), then don't make the OP out to feel as if she is being obnoxious for asking. Having bot water and milk seems pretty darn reasonable and normal. Anyhow, your tone was very harsh and 'holier than thou' and it was not necessary given the situation.

Also, my son's teachers actually don't know his medical issues related to feeding other than the fact that he is 'extra picky'. They have never asked. They just happily help us out. We try to not 'out' my son unless necessary with his medical complications so that nobody treats him differently for it since he is a bright, happy kid.

And I'm DONE!

Hmm, that was less entertaining.  Oh well... again, I'm sorry you felt my tone was rude.  I'm a straightforward person.  I would like to point out that the way you voiced your opinions on the career choice, competence, intelligence, integrity, and general personhood of a complete stranger weren't exactly gentle and if you want to comment on my tone you might think to consider your own in doing so.  I would care what you thought of my personhood if I didn't know that the parents I work with in real life adore me and the way I care for their children.  I don't want to brag, but people pull strings to get into my classroom.  I know you find that impossible to believe.  I'm sorry for your sake that after all your explaining, I still stand by what I said.  I don't mind that you'll probably see that as a personality flaw.  Have a good work week.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"