Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Electonic devices

How often and how much time per day do your LO's use one.  We have an iPad and the only app DS loves is Elmo.  As soon as he wakes up he is asking for it. He probably will sit in front of it for 30 minutes and then usually won't ask for it until the end of the day again.  He doesn't watch any TV.  I just don't know how much is too much.  It is an educational game, ABC's but I don't want him to over do it.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Electonic devices

• Options
    We introduced the iPad just last week for the first time for our cross country flights, since we've been home he hasn't used it. After seeing him whine and fuss for it on the plane, we decided we would go back to him not playing with it. We've seen friends kids who threw fits when it was time to put the iPad away, or who are zoned out at dinner playing with it. As he gets older we will definitely let him use it until he starts having fits when it's taken away.

He probably gets about 30 min of tv a day. 10 minutes here and there throughout the day, so 30 total.
  • Options
    Our daughter LOVES to iPad but we save it for select times only.  We use when flying or driving on long road trips, and occasionally if we just need her to sit and chill while we do something around the house.  I try to keep it as a special occasion type thing and so far I like that.  We take it if we eat out and are trying to stretch her time in the high chair too.  I truly think she learns by using it. She also doesn't like TV.  
    image   image
    We were 2 under 2, now 3 under 3!
    Team Green turned Team Pink with #1, Team Green turned Team Blue with #2, Team Green turned Team Pink again with #3
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have an iPad and have downloaded some apps for DD but all she wants to do is press the home button.. she will watch Yo Gabba Gabba or Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood but doesn't really 'play' on it yet.

once she can I will prob let her play on it a little at a time- we have some counting apps and fisher price puppy app
  • Options
    Both my kids watch shows on Netflix on our iPad or computer. We limit the time they watch (Usually only a couple times a week).
    m/c 2013
  • Options
    We don't even own an IPad.  LOL!  She likes DH's iphone but only because we put toddler radio on pandora for her to listen to.  She does watch about 15-20 minutes of tv daily at my mom's house.  I don't love that she watches any tv but 20 minutes is not a whole lot so I don't fight my mom about it.  I am not a tv person AT ALL so I don't even think to turn it on while we're home.

I'm kind of in the dark ages when it comes to electronic devices and technology.  My cellphone is ancient and I have no desire to get an iphone or ipad, etc.  I feel like people survived for many years without these gadgets and for some reason I just really don't like when I see kids with them.  I really hate when I see kids with them out at a restaurant.   I'm a teacher and most of my first and second graders have their own ipad.  Really?!  Why?  Sorry, I'm rambling.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    MooOink said:
    We introduced the iPad just last week for the first time for our cross country flights, since we've been home he hasn't used it. After seeing him whine and fuss for it on the plane, we decided we would go back to him not playing with it. We've seen friends kids who threw fits when it was time to put the iPad away, or who are zoned out at dinner playing with it. As he gets older we will definitely let him use it until he starts having fits when it's taken away. He probably gets about 30 min of tv a day. 10 minutes here and there throughout the day, so 30 total.
    This is exactly what I'm talking about.  At Thanksgiving a couple of years ago, my 4 year old nephew sat and played on the IPAD the entire time (roughly 3 hours!).  A 4 year old should be playing and active, not zoned out in front of a screen.  Honestly, it was funny because everyone (adults and kids) had their gadgets and they were all sitting quietly on the couch on their ipads and iphones and I was the only person who didn't have one.  It's nice to spend time together and have a conversation with people than just be on your ipad the whole time.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I'm leery about electronic usage, but I'm sure I'll loosen up a bit as my son gets older (he's 12 months now). Like, if he could sit quietly and watch Sesame Street while I take a shower, I would probably take advantage of that. For now, I just let him tear up the bathroom. iPad, I don't so much see any point in introducing, but that's not to say I will never change my stance.
  • Options
    My older three have their own I-Pads (Minis).  This being said, they are for traveling and educational purposes.  They get them probably an hour or two a week.  They are kept in a drawer in my bedroom.  They are 7 and a half, six and two and a half.
    We fly internationally every six weeks or so.  This summer, we went from Miami, to Canada.  From Canada we flew to Italy, from Italy back to Canada, and then back to Miami, in the span of twelve weeks.
    In November, we are going to go: Miami to Canada (family Christmas, in November), from Canada we are flying to Ireland, and then from Ireland back to Miami.
    My younger two (1 and seven months don't get the I-Pads at all.  They also watch maybe half an hour of TV, in the morning as I am getting my two school aged kids ready for school.
  • Options
    When my son can't have something he becomes obsessed so we took the approach a few months ago if he wanted to play with the iPad he could when he wanted. Just like any other toy he has days he likes it more than others, but mostly doesn't have much interest. He only has interest when we interact with the ipad with him like we do when we read our book. I believe that for our son it has worked that by not making a big deal out of it, he doesnt freak about it. As he gets older we will change our rules on electronics (such as not playing with an electronic toy during dinner or quality time with family or friends). For now I think it's one piece of a diverse set of things he can play with and dont think its a bad thing for him to start learning some e-literacy. Electronics will be around forever and we'll have different rules and boundaries at different times in his life.

image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    We don't even own an IPad.  LOL!  She likes DH's iphone but only because we put toddler radio on pandora for her to listen to.  She does watch about 15-20 minutes of tv daily at my mom's house.  I don't love that she watches any tv but 20 minutes is not a whole lot so I don't fight my mom about it.  I am not a tv person AT ALL so I don't even think to turn it on while we're home.

I'm kind of in the dark ages when it comes to electronic devices and technology.  My cellphone is ancient and I have no desire to get an iphone or ipad, etc.  I feel like people survived for many years without these gadgets and for some reason I just really don't like when I see kids with them.  I really hate when I see kids with them out at a restaurant.   I'm a teacher and most of my first and second graders have their own ipad.  Really?!  Why?  Sorry, I'm rambling.
    Seriously though you have to know as a teacher than it's HIGHLY likely your child will have iPads or whatever tablets in their classrooms by Kindergarten.  I don't think you are doing your kid any favors by ignoring this and pretending like it won't continue.  Using this type of technology is going to be vital in the future and I truly feel that my kids will be on the curve with others who know how to use this things.  Also... have you ever tried to actually eat out at a nice dinner with a 2 year old?  Yea because it's IMPOSSIBLE and the iPad keeps them entertained. FWIW, we practice eating full meals at home in the high chair and we always encourage patience and we make our DD stay in her chair til everyone is done but at a restaurant all bets are off.  Don't judge til you are in their shoes.  
    image   image
    Team Green turned Team Pink with #1, Team Green turned Team Blue with #2, Team Green turned Team Pink again with #3
  • Options
    We don't have an ipad or an iphone, so it's really not an issue. We do turn Elmo, Super Why, or the Muppets for her on TV, but she usually doesn't just sit there and watch it for more than 15 minutes or so. She would much rather be busy doing puzzles, playing with her baby dolls, looking at books, helping mommy/daddy, etc. That just seems to be her personality.

And while I know every child is different, we actually don't have any problems going out to a nice dinner with our little one. She will be 2 in October.  She is very entertained by the few things we bring along: books and a travel aquadoodle. She is also very entertained by watching the goings on at the restaurant and talking to us.  Like I said, I know every child is different, but please don't generalize that you HAVE to HAVE an IPAD to enjoy a nice dinner out or travel with a little one. We do just fine without one.

After 2 years of TTC, our daughter was born on Oct 31, 2011!
    7lbs 13oz  20 inches long
    image"Lilypie">

• Options
    ebp913ebp913 member
    edited September 2013
    We don't have an ipad or an iphone, so it's really not an issue. We do turn Elmo, Super Why, or the Muppets for her on TV, but she usually doesn't just sit there and watch it for more than 15 minutes or so. She would much rather be busy doing puzzles, playing with her baby dolls, looking at books, helping mommy/daddy, etc. That just seems to be her personality.

And while I know every child is different, we actually don't have any problems going out to a nice dinner with our little one. She will be 2 in October.  She is very entertained by the few things we bring along: books and a travel aquadoodle. She is also very entertained by watching the goings on at the restaurant and talking to us.  Like I said, I know every child is different, but please don't generalize that you HAVE to HAVE an IPAD to enjoy a nice dinner out or travel with a little one. We do just fine without one.

I was being a little dramatic.  It's more the combination of 2 kids than it is the older one being difficult that makes eating out hard for us. 
    image   image
  • Options
    None. He's not allowed to play with my or DHs phone. MIL had an iPad but that usage is once a month tops. The TV is on a lot but usually on a jazz music station. DS "watches" about an hour of Seseme Street or Tec combined but is still playing the whole time. When we are out to eat he already enjoys coloring and I have special toys that I only bring out with us like toy tractors.
  • Options
    He likes to look at pics of himself on my phone and watches Disney Jr. We don't own an iPad.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I don't want him to mess around with my iPad or iPhone too much as I'm sure he would break them.  He has tossed my iPhone a few times and cracked the screen.  I wouldn't mind letting him play with them though if I knew he wouldn't break them.  He is not interested in the tv at all (he was when he was very little but it went away) and is obsessed with walking around, playing, trashing everything LOL.  He is VERY active to the point that the pedi commented on it.  He will not sit still long enough to watch tv.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    my son (21 months) has never used my ipad, but i don't use it very much myself. we'll look at pictures of him and family on my iphone, but that's about it. sometimes he picks it up and says hi over and over again, but he does that with anything that remotely looks like a phone. he still doesn't watch any tv. i actually brought the ipad with me on a flight two days ago as a last resort (i flew by myself with him and my younger son who is five months) but he was entertained enough by other stuff.

i understand what the PP was saying about tablets being ubiquitous once kids reach a certain age and how those who don't use them might be behind the curve, but i'm not persuaded. my son has the rest of his life for screen time, and i'd much prefer he enjoy time outside and use his imagination with non screen toys. it doesn't take most people very long to figure out how to use an ipad, and i can't imagine he'll be an exception when that time comes.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    We wouldn't have an iPad if my fil hadn't bought one for my daughter when she was 16 months. (22 m now) We pretty much only have apps on it for her, matching, colors, building, etc. we do not bring it to restaurants or let her play with it at meals. I understand why some families would bring it to a restaurant, since you never know how your kid might act. We have been lucky that she is so mild mannered all the time. So far... If you do want to let your toddler use electronics, I would say to make sure you use it together so he sees how it works and that its not a tool to keep him quiet or out of the way. Also encourage using matching and building apps, like those from Tiny Hands. They are fun, cute, and educational.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"