Food Allergy
Options

apples and pears

So I have given ds pears twice now and both times he has had a rash on his torso and I have given him apples a couple of times now as well and he has vomited after eating those.  So I've decided to hold off on giving him any more pears and apples for a while.

He also reacts to milk (unsure of soy).  I was looking at the baby foods and milk, soy, and apples seem to be an ingredient in so many baby foods/snacks, any ideas for what finger foods to introduce?  Is it safe to give a 6.5 month old strips of toasted bread (Udi's)?

YBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I'm a fan of The Cloth Diaper Tech Support group on Facebook

Re: apples and pears

• Options

Are you making your baby food or buying the jars?  There could be hidden soy in the baby food if store bought.  Apples and Pears are pretty uncommon for allergies, but not impossible.  My daughter was allergic to rice.  

You could look into baby led weaning if you want to do whole foods, but if you are going the standard route, he might still be a little young.   I think DD was closer to 8 months.

DD's Food Allergies: Peanuts and Rice, Outgrown Dairy!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

8/09 Dx PCOS & Hashimoto's
    BFP #2 12/13/11. Missed M/C at 11w5d, measured 8w6d. D&C 2/1/12
    Never in my arms, but always in my heart.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options

Thanks.

I have bought his baby food so far but thinking I might have to start with making it instead.

I am leaning more toward the traditional feeding rather than BLW since that's what appears to be working best for ds and it's what I am most comfortable with.  When my older two were learning to eat I was able to buy teething biscuits and toast but I haven't seen them around for a while and I can't remember what age/stage they were good for. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    What about bananas? They are easy enough to mash up. Avacados as well. I've also given DS halved blueberries and chopped up peaches (I use the ones that I buy in the cup for DD and just chop them up into smaller pieces). FWIW my DS tested positive to apples, bananas, pineapple, oats and milk so it's not impossible to be allergic to the common first foods.
    imageimage
  • Options
    I don't have any ideas for finger foods to introduce at 6.5 months, but my 17 month old son has a stone fruit allergy (along with legumes, tree nuts, etc.). He was diagnosed at 7 months after bad reactions to apples, peaches and pears. We were told to stay away from other stone fruits such as plums, prunes, avocado, nectarines, cherries, apricots, etc. I made his food, but when I looked at jarred food for travel it was hard to find a variety without any of these fruits. We stuck with bananas, berries and citrus. The blueberries and pineapple were a big hit. Good luck!

MC Sept '10, MC Dec '10, DS born 2012

Clomid + TI = BFP #1 March '13, MC April '13

Gonal F + trigger + IUI #1 = BFP #2 10/21/13, MC 10/31/13

Gonal F + trigger + IUI #2 = BFP #3 1/16/14, ectopic w/ heartbeat & rt salpingectomy 1/29/14

IVF #1 - ER 5/9/14 transfer cx'd due to high P4

FET #1 -  6/26/14 transferred 1 AA blast BFP!! Beta #1 13dp5dt - 1548 Beta #2 15dp5dt - 2748 Beta #3 18dp5dt - 7586

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I don't have any ideas for finger foods to introduce at 6.5 months, but my 17 month old son has a stone fruit allergy (along with legumes, tree nuts, etc.). He was diagnosed at 7 months after bad reactions to apples, peaches and pears. We were told to stay away from other stone fruits such as plums, prunes, avocado, nectarines, cherries, apricots, etc. I made his food, but when I looked at jarred food for travel it was hard to find a variety without any of these fruits. We stuck with bananas, berries and citrus. The blueberries and pineapple were a big hit. Good luck!

We returned to EBF (no solids).  Started as a day or two to give ds's body a chance to recover from previous food reactions then a few more days got tacked on due to both of us getting sick so by the time we try solids again it will have been over a week since his last solids.

Thanks for listing fruits that are similar to apples and pears as I was thinking about that earlier today.  Since I eliminate dairy due to his reaction to milk -- do I need to eliminate these fruits from my diet too or is it one of those try it to find out type of things?

• Options
    Sorry Pipsqueak, I never saw your reply. How is your son doing? Has he had reactions to any other types of foods? I did not EBF, so I'm not sure if those would pass to him and affect him or not. I recently tried giving my son some products that contain apples or apple purée in it, but not straight apples, and his reaction was no better than before - diarrhea and vomiting. I've cut them out again until his next follow up with his allergist.

Gonal F + trigger + IUI #2 = BFP #3 1/16/14, ectopic w/ heartbeat & rt salpingectomy 1/29/14

FET #1 -  6/26/14 transferred 1 AA blast BFP!! Beta #1 13dp5dt - 1548 Beta #2 15dp5dt - 2748 Beta #3 18dp5dt - 7586

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Ds is getting better at eating.  He has managed to pick up a Cheerio or two but hasn't quite gotten one in his mouth by himself yet.  I did find that making 1tablespoon sized pancakes with my gluten free Bisquick has been a hit with him. I haven't been able to feed him more than bananas and peaches (with an occasional banana, plum grape or banana and berry combo).  Most of the other fruits are mixed with apple or pears.  Ds loves cooked beans so he's learning to chew with those. 

I tried making homemade baby food but he didn't like it - different texture than jarred food I guess. No it too worried since he is starting to get table foods at supper.

FWIW, I did figure out that ds does react to apples in my diet since he reacted with trashy arms the time I ate apples.  I don't eat them  or pears often normally so leaving them out doesn't bother me.

• Options
    That's great he doesn't have a problem with the peaches since they're in the same group as the apples and pears. He'll be getting the Cheerios in his mouth in no time. It's definitely hard to find a variety of things with the allergies, but sounds like you and him are doing well with it. That stinks he reacts to you eating them too, but good thing it wasn't something you ate regularly. Good luck!

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"