August 2013 Moms

Nursing pads

Talk to me about nursing pads. I've been using the Lansinoh disposable ones. Even when I put lanolin on them, my nipples still hurt when they rub against the pads. I need something absorbent because I end up leaking a lot. I also wear the pads all day/night for the same reason. Anyone have recs for a different pad or something else I can be doing to soothe my nipples?
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Nursing pads

• Lansinoh makes soothing gel pads. I've never used them but they sound like they would help!
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

<3 Mama to 2 girls - H&I <3
  • I use the avent pads, however I don't think that would solve your problem. At the hospital the nurses gave me some breast shields made by Medela. They are nice when I can't stand anything rubbing my nips.
     DS1 8/2011. DS2 8/2013.

• Loading the player...
  • I used the lansinoh pads also and had the same problem and I also found that my nipples would stick to them which made them hurt also. I switched to the Johnson and Johnson disposable pads and I really liked them. They are quite a bit thicker and absorb more, but are also made of a softer material that didn't irritate so much.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• First I had madela pads and switched to avent bc they were cheaper. The avent rub and hurt my nips more. The madela were much softer, stayed in place better and were more absorbent. Ill have to give the J&J a try.
    I used the madela gel soothes once when my nips cracked. They were amazing feeling and got me healed up pretty quickly. You can only use it for about 4 days before it dries up and they are kinda pricy. But if you're hurting bad then they're worth the money IMO.
    I also have the madela hot/cold gel packs. I keep them in the freezer and put them on before bed after tough days of cluster feeding. It helps the pain go away so I can fall asleep and also makes motn feedings feel better.
  • I like Johnson and Johnson as well. They are thicker and well-molded.
  • I have a pair of Disana wool & silk ones that I love!! I hate the disposable ones, they bunch up and fall out just like regular pads do. I'm getting another pair of the disana ones so I can rotate them for Washings. Plus they breathe and allow air flow to the nip ;)
    Married My Love on 6/18/2006
    BFP#1 10/1/2011. Our perfect little girl, Her heart stopped @ 12w1d. D&E 11/23/11
    BFP#2 3/13/12 Weird CP/Possible EP @ 6w0d
    BFP#3 5/28/12 CP @ 5w0d
    BFP/WTF#4 10/26/12 CP
    BFP#5 12/10/12 EDD 8/23/2013
    <3 Baby Boy Born 8/22/13 <3
     photo ellie.gifPhotobucket
  • Oh, and I bought done washable pads...yeah they are a joke. Maybe they'll be better later on when the massive leaking (hopefully) settles down but right now they completely disk through within seconds of a key down. They soak my shirt every time :(
  • I use the J&J ones. They are very absorbent. I leak a lot and have never leaked through one. I believe they are also one of the cheapest Target options. My only "complaint" is there is a 'nipple' molded into them and I hate that look when I only wear a nursing tank, but I have found I can mostly rub out/smooth out the nipple look.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm no help, I actually like the lansinoh ones after switching from Medela.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Apparently I'm the exception here, but I hated J&J pads. They were horrible about getting lost in my bra. I woke up multiple times in the night soaked in breastmilk because they slid to the side. They're also small and made me itch worse. I have used Lansinoh, Avent, and Tommee Tippee and liked all of them.

Sometimes right after LO eats, I'll sit with a hand towel on my stomach and go bra/padless to let everything dry and breathe. I don't know if that would help you, but it makes mine feel better.
  • Odd man out, but I hated the disposable ones (tried lanisoh and medela). I have the medala washable ones, and those work fine for me.

I don't leak often though. Dd is 8 weeks so my supply is somewhat regulated.

• I have heard bamboobies are amazing. I felt them in the store and they were awesome, but were out of the day ones and I never leak enough for their larger night ones. They are reusable and a bit pricey but I am sure totally worth it.
    image   image
  • I had a sample of Ameda disposable pads from the hospital. They worked pretty good! 
  • I have heard bamboobies are amazing. I felt them in the store and they were awesome, but were out of the day ones and I never leak enough for their larger night ones. They are reusable and a bit pricey but I am sure totally worth it.
    I have these and love t hem.... so soft!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I hate ones that have the sticky side to them because indont use that. target had the Nuk brand on sale and are very thin. Love them! I used advent last time and they made my nips raw from feeling wet all the time. These ones breathe really well and I have only leaked out of one after a long overnight.

Mommy to J: Born 5/11/2010 & B: Born 8/26/2013

• I have the Nuk reusable and like them. I also have a pair of bamboobies. They are soft but I soak through them. And the fuzz sticks to my nips. I don't mind the disposables now but at he beginning I liked the Nuk reusable
    Off BCP since 1/12
    TTC since 3/12
    High LH/FSH Ratio 8/12
    DX with PCOS 11/12
    Clomid 50mg - 19.5mm Follie - Trigger + TI = BFP! 11/12
    EDD August 11, 2013 
    DS Born August 14, 2013!

imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • J&J user. I like the absorbancy & that I can adjust/move them easily.
    BFP 8/12/12 m/c 8/19/12 BFP 12/1/12 EDD 8/11/13

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I felt bad going thru so many Lansinoh so I bought the Bravado reusable "moisture wicking" ones, thinking since their nursing bras are so good... They're workable for around the house but that's it. The best thing I've found is the milkie! Only useful at home tho. I say get some of those Medela gel pads, that will help!

imageimageimage
  • Yeah I totally soaked through 2 pairs of reusable pads yesterday.  It must have been an off day because today they have been fine.
  • Lansinoh makes soothing gel pads. I've never used them but they sound like they would help!
    I've used them and they are amazing! You can even put them in the fridge to cool them for added relief. They aren't cheap but they work well.

• amief said:

I have heard bamboobies are amazing. I felt them in the store and they were awesome, but were out of the day ones and I never leak enough for their larger night ones. They are reusable and a bit pricey but I am sure totally worth it.

I have these and love t hem.... so soft!

I have them too. They are really soft and when I have them in I have never had a problem. I bought the set the has 4 day set and a night, if you leak like crazy I'd suggest the night ones. I also second letting your boobies air dry, and when I get out of the shower I use the Bamboobies nipple butter stuff too which helped me.
  • Bamboobies for sure. This is my second time around and they are fantastic. I get them for every friend having a baby. I have the day and night ones. They are reusable and very soft.
    Baby Q born on 7/20/2017
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @Curls218 have you tried polysporin? I use it after each feeding on the nipple only. It has been amazing. And i feel the difference if I don't use it. GL!
  • @Curls218 have you tried polysporin? I use it after each feeding on the nipple only. It has been amazing. And i feel the difference if I don't use it. GL!

I haven't, I've just been using lanolin.  Is polysporin something that is safe for the baby or would I have to wash it off before the next feeding?  I may try it (especially if it washes off your hands easier than lanolin which I feel like I have to scrape off!)

• I used the lansinoh ones with DD and swore I invest in bamboobies for my next kid. Best investment I ever made! They are so soft and absorb so much more than I thought they could. I would definitely have gotten them last time had I known about them before I'd spent hundreds on disposables.

I don't mind the lansinoh pads either ... The gel pads after a shower help out a ton

image imageimage 

September Siggy Challenge : Favorite Childhood Movies ( Sorry I have two)

• For people who use disposable ones, if you use amazon subscribe and save you can get some really great deals on them.

(I can only go the reusable route after 4 month or so).
     DS1 8/2011. DS2 8/2013.

• Bamboobies and love them!
  • I have some medela washable ones that are pretty good, and then some medela organic washavble ones. Some days (like yesterday!) i'll leak right through them though.. I use disposables during the night. I have target brand ones and medela ones, and the Medela are much more comfortable/soft on irritated nipples.

Also, when one of my nipples was super irritated, I read a few places that it's super important to let it get air (which makes sense, most wounds heal better with some air), so I made sure to get at least a couple hours or more with open boobs. I actually had to tuck a cloth (we use unfolded diaper cloths for burping cloths) in my top, under my boobs since they were still leaky. But doing this a few days made a HUGE difference in them healing. I also consistently used lanolin (since my DSs birth).

Side note about the sticky lanolin. I don't wash it off (it doesn't come off!); I wipe it off on a cloth or kleenex and it comes off much better!

I'm still trying to get a system with the pads that works. They leak sooo much, and if DS is nursing and I forget to put a cloth under his mouth, he dribbles milk all over my clothes. And at night I've forgotten to put my boob away (fallen asleep while nursing), and soaked my pjs and pillows, etc. On a daily basis, I get milk EVERYWHERE! lol DS is 3 wks old today... so hopefully I'll get a better system down at some point...
  • @Curls218 totally safe for baby. LC is who suggested it for me. I just do it directly after my feeding on that particular nipple that way it is hours before LO would nurse again there just because I'm a worry wart.
  • I sewed my own.They wick up so much more and stay in place better than a disposable

O was born Aug 13!  <3 B.B.F.L

image Why,Yes! I HAVE missed you both!image

• Thanks for the ideas. I'll definitely be trying them out! Thankfully DS's latch was much better today so I was already less irritated. This is why I wish we were able to bf from the start. My boobies are weeks behind where they'd be otherwise. A month in I shouldn't have to be dealing with this :(
  • When I was able to BF I used the Medela washable pads. At night, I put two of LOs tiny Spasilk washcloths in my nursing bra since it didn't matter how lumpy it looked. This worked well and is soft on the nips. I saved the real pads for day time since I only had two pair and they needed washed after each wear. I hated the disposable pads.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"