Homeschooling
Options

Poll for fun - just to liven things up here

It's slow here so I thought I would make a poll to help up all get to know each other and get some discussion going.

1 - What did your kids learn about this week?
2 - Any achievements this week that you are really proud of?
3 - Anything you really struggled with teaching/your child is struggling with learning?
4 - Any resources that you found really valuable in your teaching this week?
5 - Any resources, supplies, or other homeschool related items you are dreaming of having in your school right now?

Re: Poll for fun - just to liven things up here

• Options
    1 - We took a break from our normal curriculum this week to focus on some things I've been wanting to teach the kids that don't really relate to the plan.  I did a fun lesson on teeth because we're having issues with my boys brushing improperly.  We also did a mini-lesson on the 10 Commandments.  Also, we're working on learning to tie shoes.

2 - DS2 finally recognizes all of his numbers 1-10 and can write them.  We also did a letter quiz and he knows about 80% of his letter sounds now.  This is huge because I've struggled with catering to his learning style all summer and have tried everything to get him to focus.  I'm so proud of how hard he has been working!

3 - My main struggles this week were due to the girls not cooperating while I was working with the boys.  I spent a lot of time holding the baby while trying to teach my oldest son, which is really difficult and stressful.  I'm going to do a lot of thinking over the weekend about how I can get lessons in without distracting the boys, but keeping the girls content.  It's so difficult!  Any help would be appreciated!

4 - There were some great ideas for our toothbrushing lesson here.  My kids are really enjoying putting their stickers on the free chart I printed from there too.

5 - A teacher friend gave me a ton of math resources, which included a bunch of overhead projector sheets.  They are great and I would love to use them and for a second I almost ordered an overhead projector from ebay for $25.  Then I realized I was being a little ridiculous.  lol  I think I'll just make photocopies of the sheets instead :)

I am thinking about ordering a new spelling curriculum for my oldest son.  I'm open to suggestions if anyone has any.  He's reading at a 1st grade level, so if anyone has used anything for spelling in 1st grade that they loved, please let me know!

• Options
    Thanks for playing, AA.  I guess this board doesn't want livening :P

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    1 - What did your kids learn about this week? We started our pre-K curriculum through Memoria Press. Aside from numbers and letters, we read Green Eggs and Ham, learned about the Food Pyramid, and started doing some work on telling time with a clock.

2 - Any achievements this week that you are really proud of? 4YO loves "playing school" and just seems to really be enjoying things, so that's wonderful.  She's doing great with her numbers and counting, and knows her alphabet as well.  I feel like she's ahead of where she should be for her age so I'm taking satisfaction in knowing I'm doing a good job.

3 - Anything you really struggled with teaching/your child is struggling with learning? Mainly just keeping her focused at times on practicing letters/numbers and the repetition of that sometimes.  She'll stop and want to draw a picture, or tell me a story.  I'm trying to find a balance between keeping it fun and "light" and still wanting to cover our material for the day in a reasonable time period. ha!

4 - Any resources that you found really valuable in your teaching this week? I've been using the internet and especially Pinterest to come up with fun activities regarding Green Eggs and Ham.

5 - Any resources, supplies, or other homeschool related items you are dreaming of having in your school right now? I recently bought a laminator and a binding machine, so I'm set for now.  The thrill of those purchases will carry me for a while because I'm in love with them. haha!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding.
    In all your ways acknowledge Him,and He shall direct your paths.
    Proverbs 3:5-6

• Options

1 - What did your kids learn about this week? With the new bay bridge, we picked up some library books about San Francisco :)
    2 - Any achievements this week that you are really proud of? DD's reading, and more importantly confidence, is improving, we had a great reading session today!
    3 - Anything you really struggled with teaching/your child is struggling with learning? Getting started!
    4 - Any resources that you found really valuable in your teaching this week?
    5 - Any resources, supplies, or other homeschool related items you are dreaming of having in your school right now? Easy to do science, that doesn't require thinking/effort to set up! haha

• Options
    wifeofadamwifeofadam member
    edited September 2013
    Oooooh.  A laminator would be really useful!  Adding it to my Christmas list :)

• Options
    1 - What did your kids learn about this week? -For Bible we are in the book of Genesis. I am SHOCKED with how much they are remembering. My goal is for them to have true Biblical knowledge that is not watered down because they are kids. Also, my tot is learning colors and doing really well with them and my kinder is working on the letter I. 
    2 - Any achievements this week that you are really proud of? -They learned Gen 1:1 so quickly. My two year old as is memorized! Also dd1 can tell you what the Pentateuch is and all of the vowels. 
    3 - Anything you really struggled with teaching/your child is struggling with learning?- Math see post above.) I don't even know where to start. I also get overwhelmed that they have so much to learn.
    4 - Any resources that you found really valuable in your teaching this week? -uhmmm Pinterest lol. 
    5 - Any resources, supplies, or other homeschool related items you are dreaming of having in your school right now? -I wish I had unending craft supplies!

We should do this once a week!

DD1 | Jan 2009
    DD2 | June 2011
    DS1 | Oct 2013
       ADD3 | Oct 2014 (April 2001)
    DS2 | June 2016
    DS3 | Dec 2018

Due with baby blob August 2021

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I agree it would be fun to do once a week!  I'll start a post every Friday for us :)

It's really fun to hear what everyone else is learning about and what you're finding useful!

• Options
    Adamswife - This is the laminator I bought on Amazon.  I love it!

https://www.amazon.com/Scotch-Thermal-Laminator-Roller-TL901/dp/B0010JEJPC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1379298811&sr=8-1&keywords=laminator

I bought the Scotch laminating sheets from there as well for cheap.  I think it was like $10 for 100 sheets or something.  I've been laminating anything I can get my hands on. ha!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding.
    In all your ways acknowledge Him,and He shall direct your paths.
    Proverbs 3:5-6

• Options
    We haven't fully kicked off our school year yet because we haven't gotten our curriculum yet.  (Long story) Until then we've been doing short unit studies.

1. This week we are reading about horses.  DD is totally obsessed with horses and wants one in the worst way but we live in the city.  Have  mentioned she is six?

2. DD read me 5 ENTIRE step 1 books that she's never heard before! I know she can read a lot of words but sometimes I wonder if she doesn't just remember the story from when I read it to her.  But these were all new ones from the library so I know she hasn't heard them yet! Super excited!!!

3. We are still working on attitude issues.  We've had a lot of back talking and sassy mouth for the past year.  I hear a lot of "I don't have to" and "You just hate me, that's why you're so mean."

4. The Public Library, does that count? :)

5. My curriculum.  Math manipulatives.  When I was a kid we had something like the Cuisenaire Rods, but they only came in base 10 sets (1, 10, 100,1000).  DD could use these to help with adding and subtracting.  Plus, I remember them being invaluable for multiplication.
                    We're Going to be a Family of 5!

Lilypie - (PaHE) Lilypie - (4noI)

Lilypie - (2q9u)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"