Single Parents
Options

Do I legelally have to tell the babies father Iwhen I'm having the baby, if I didn't want him there?

Answers

• Options
    I don't believe so.  I didn't.  I found out that my BD found out via text by a friend of a friend of the family.  Like, his parents didn't even tell him.  It may depend on the state you live in, each state's laws are different on these kinds of things.  But if you haven't seen a lawyer, and you two have never done anything through the legal system yet, you definitely are NOT obligated to tell him.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    EarthandFireEarthandFire member
    edited September 2013

I'm not lawyer but here's my understanding of how it works, to get ANY legal writes a father has to prove he is the father. This can be done one or two ways; paternity acknowledgement (this is sometimes done by a non-bio-dad with a GF who was already pregnant) or through a paternity test. Now IF the non-bio-dad acknowledges he is on the hook as the legal guardian. Can they do a DNA test and try to say they aren't down the road, sure but most states say you signed it of your own free will, this is your child. If a bio-dad wants to be in baby's life and a non-bio dad signed the paternity, bio-dad has to go to court and prove through DNA the baby is his and no paternity acknowledgement is going to protect you in that case. Bio-dad will probably get legal rights.

Now UNTIL BD does one of these things he basically has no rights. He can call the cops, he can complain but it's his word against yours. How do those authorities know he really is the BD? A father posted here in the last couple weeks and a BD CAN go to a lawyer in advance of your delivery and may be able to get you served with a court order to establish paternity as soon as the baby is born. In this case you would have to abide by the CO. If I were a BD and wanted to be in my child's life, this is what I would do.

AFTER THOUGHT: There isn't a lot you can do to keep BD out of the picture if he wants to be and is willing to go to court to fight for it however if you don't wan him around I would not give LO his last name. Also, CO's are your friend if BD is in the picture and think ahead long term, not just 0-5 but 0-18. Things like extra curricular activities, paying for team uniforms, etc. The blended family board has a lot of good information on CO's.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

H3LL NO.  Don't know your whole circumstance but you don't have to tell him anything.  If you want child support when you file for it in court is when the paternity will have to be proven.  At that point you will have to work with him on setting a visitation schedule.  Prior to that you are not required to communicate with him. 

In the long run it is best if you all can get a long well for the sake of your child.  Life is just easier all around if you are kind and respectful to each other.  But it seems like when money, hurt feeling, and custody is involved it is hard to remain neutral towards eachother. 

• Options
    No you don't. At least in my state. My lawyer told me not to worry about it. I even have a restraining order insuring he won't be there.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"