Infertility
Options

black tar like mucus and spotting

I also posted this on TTTC on the nest - but this board is much more active.

I was diagnosed with PCOS years ago and have gone 10 months without bleeding and then 4-5 months bleeding since I was 12.

I?ve been bleeding since July after my ovaries laughed at Clomid. We tried using Progesterone to ?regulate? myself ? but I wouldn?t stop bleeding.

My ob-gyn referred me to an RE and told me to take Progesterone for another 10 days while waiting to see him. I saw him exactly 10 days later and he put me on Met and BCP to try to get the bleeding to stop (I was actually bleeding while taking progesterone). He said if the bleeding didn?t stop I would have to have a D&C (we are going to do a pelvic xray on CD8 and then put me on a different pill that starts with an L on the next CD 3 with trigger shot and IUI).

I?ve been on BCP for 12 days now. The first 2 days no bleeding ? not even spotting. Then on day 3 I had very light spotting with a BLACK TAR LIKE MUCUS ? it lasted for 2 days. I called the nurse at the RE?s office today and told her I had stopped bleeding and asked what steps I needed to take for the pelvic xray to get set up (and was SO happy that I wasn?t going to need a D&C). Within an hour of getting off the phone with her I started having period like cramps ? but no bleeding. I went to the bathroom an hour ago and the spotting is back ? but now the BLACK TAR LIKE MUCUS is also back and there is a lot of it. I showed it to my husband when I first had it (day 3 on BCP) because it freaked me out so bad. I have tried to google it ? but I?m really not finding any clear answers.

Is this black mucus because of the BCP? Is It normal? I already plan on calling the nurse tomorrow but I?m FREAKING out and I?m so depressed that will probably have to have a D&C to get this bleeding to stop.

TIA for any advice

Re: black tar like mucus and spotting

• Options
    I'm not sure if it's normal or not, but when I used to get occasional breakthrough bleeding on BCPs, it was usually dark brown and gummy/tarlike. Usually it's like old blood, so maybe that's what you're getting?
    imageimage

• Options
    I've always had really "clotty" dark brown periods - but this is different - I've never experienced it before. It's like cervical mucus - but a little thicker and almost black.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageQuizzle:
    Usually it's like old blood, so maybe that's what you're getting?

That's what I was thinking too.  Old blood could be black, and the tarry texture from CM?  I hope they can figure it out!  My Mom had her period for 100 days once before it stopped, and she said it was HEAVY and really clotty when it was so wacky.  

• Options
    Thanks - I don't think it's old blood though. I've had dark brown, old blood everytime I bleed and this is very different.

I guess I will find out tomorrow - I hope they have an answer for me!
  • Options
    imagerenee1.28.06:

I also posted this on TTTC on the nest - but this board is much more active.

If you want to access this board with the Nest background, use this link. Somehow a Nestie figured it out while their IT people couldn't.  

Katie, PCOS since May 2005, Fostering since November 2010 Adoption since December 2011 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    *PCOS bio* *Cold Hands, Warm Heart*
  • Options

If you want to access this board with the Nest background, use this link. Somehow a Nestie figured it out while their IT people couldn't.  

Thank you!
  • Options

I googled "black vaginal discharge" and got a few hits. I honestly have no idea what could be causing it in your case.

I've also heard of chocolate ovarian cysts, although I'm not sure if they would cause a black vaginal discharge.

Have you ever had a laparoscopy? Maybe that would help diagnose whatever is wrong.

I also have pcos, and my ovaries also laughed at Clomid. ;p Just made me cramp and bleed like a mofo, that was fun.

I hope you get some answers soon and that there isn't anything else rebellious going on in there.

Keep us posted.

• Options

Oh, also wanted to add that it could still possibly be old blood. I know in patients with certain types of gastrointestinal bleeding, their stools look like either black coffee grounds or black tar, and it's because of the old blood.

Does it have an odor? Probably don't want to say on here, but just something to notice.

• Options

I get the black tar spotting some months, and some months I get the dark brown spotting. I also get the giant clot periods. If it's possible, I swear, I get it. I've taken pictures (ick) to show to teh RE even because I thought he thought I was exaggerating on teh size of the clots (golf ball size or larger) - he STILL says it's normal.

I was also diagnosed as anemic and told to get on iron pills - I started taking iron pills and WHAM - clots and dark spotting (I'm talkign for days on end) STOPPED completely. I stopped taking them for a while and I'm currently back in another clot period (we're talking completely 100% drained, heavy heavy bleeding requiring hourly trips to teh bathroom and the huge clots) - I started taking the iron again yesterday AM and today has already lightened up. 

The regular gyn claimed the clots were not linked with my iron levels but I beg to differ. It's worth a shot to see if it helps you, or ask to have your iron levels tested. Sorry if TMI too.... :)

~Diagnosed IF in 2001 ~ Married in 2003 ~ Severe hydrosalpinx on left tube, right tube open, but no fimbria ~ Scheduled surgery to remove tubes January 4, 2012, with plans for IVF in Summer 2013 after graduating school as a RN ~ SURPRISE BFP DECEMBER 2012!!!!~

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"