Nurseries and Baby Gear

North States Superyard

Do you have a North STates Superyard?  It looks like the "basic" one is the plastic 6-panel model that is free standing.  IF you have this one, it can only be used as an enclosed pen, right?  You cannot use it to barrier off a fireplace, right?

I think I'll need the metal one that can be either free-standing OR hardware mounted.  We're visiting my ILs next month. They have a wood-burning
 stove in the middle of the living room, next to a staircase.  So I'll need one that can be configured around the stove as well as the staircase.

If you have the metal one, is it possible to use it the way I describe without mounting it onto the wall?  Obviously we'll be watching DS every second,
we just don't want him to brush up against the stove accidentally, so I think we just need some sort of a barrier but doesn't need to mount it...
TTC since 10/2008  RE consult 6/2010 Dx:Unexplaied IF

Failed multiple cycles of Clomid+TI and Clomid+IUI

3/2011 inj+IUI #1 BFP. 4/2011 missed m/c. 

Fall 2011 inj+IUI #2&3 BFN

Jan/Feb 2012 IVF#1 BFP 2/23  EDD 10/31/2012 ~~~ Halloween ~~~

Our IVF miracle, Baby Boy M, arrived on 11/8/2012!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: North States Superyard

• i have this same gate for my small dog (pls dont get offended), it is a great gate, you can use it around the fireplace if the fireplace is small enough.  it came in 3 sets of 2 panels each.  right now, we are using 2 panels (1 set) across a door way as a barrier.  you can also use 4 panels and angle it so it's freestanding. 

we have used 2 sets around our christmas tree last year to keep the furbaby away from getting too close.  have the gate for almost 6 years and it's still in good condition. 

• We have the plastic one erected around our entertainment center.  It stands freely with the end panels up against the walls.   It's not secured so if the kids (2 years old) push up against it, it'll move, but it provides a barrier between the electronics and curious button pushing kids. 
  • Loading the player...
  • @mrsR12, I take that you mean you have the plastic one? How do you get it to stay up around a fireplace - is it secured to anything or just free standing? @LauraT25, we will be watching him like a hawk. The idea is that with a gate around the stove, it'll give us an extra few seconds to remove DS from harm before he burns himself...

• I agree with LauraT, the plastic one is not a good idea around a stove.  It would move if he pushed up against it hard enough. 

I'm not familiar with the metal one, so can't comment on it.

image imageimageimage

• I agree with pps, the plastic gate freestanding around the stove wouldn't work very well.  We use our plastic one in a big u-shape in front of our electronics to keep dd away, but the "tops" of the U are braced against the wall (but not connected/anchored to the wall).  If there was nothing for the gate to push against, dd would be able to move it around easily. I have not seen the metal one in person, but I am not confident it would solve your problem either. is there any hearth or pedestal kind of thingy the stove rests on?  Maybe you could use a yard style gate and somehow have spokes that go between the gate and the hearth to keep it from moving too close? (I hope I am making sense).
    image image

BFP #2 7/18/11 - EDD 3/29/12 - Born 3/13/12
    BFP #1 4/4/11 - Natural M/C - 7w1d - 4/30/11
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• the plastic one that i have and used as free standing is not attached to any furniture or wall. 

when used as an enclosed gate, they stand on their own, otherwise you would have to angle them to stand.  they are by no mean "completely secure" when i think of a todler pushing it toward a fireplace. but it would do the job if you are just trying to provide a gap. 

• I would bring lots of warm cloths and ask the in laws not to light the stove until after LO falls asleep for the night. Maybe use a space heater.

I had the plastic yard and used it to block off our computer. I tied it to the desk to try and stablize it, because it wasn't too sturdy. I wouldn't use around a hot wood burning stove.
  • Thank you for all your input.  I will look for the metal one.  The plastic one, as you all pointed out, is probably not going to be safe for my purpose.  

• I know wood stoves throw off a lot of heat, so they may heat the metal one up enough to burn him if he touches it.
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Meery82 said:
    I know wood stoves throw off a lot of heat, so they may heat the metal one up enough to burn him if he touches it.
    WE'll make sure the gate is far away enough from the stove that it doesn't get hot.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"