October 2013 Moms

For all you curious ones,

IUGR! sigh.
The conversation with the doctor at the hospital went a little something like the thread the other night. He pulled up all my records and we went through them and we could not find where the hell my OB came up with my EDD (10/3). The one given to me at anatomy scan was 10/9. Based on LMP EDD, the latest date I was given, baby is still 10th percentile. Barely; but, still, technically. Everything else looks great. BPP is 8/8. He's about 5lb5. Doc still suggested we take him at 39 weeks. Also strongly suggested my OB reevaluate when exactly 39 weeks is.

I have an appointment with OB today at 3. I'm hoping since everything else looks good I can convince him to monitor closely with weekly NSTs and keep and eye on my healthy grade 1 placenta for an extra week or two. I don't want him undercooked. If OB is stubborn enough he can take him as soon as next Thursday, and I'm really just not ready for him to be here next week.

If anyone else has had similar experiences I could really use some chicken soup for the IUGR soul.

Re: For all you curious ones,

• I'm glad you have some answers and I'd definitely be questioning your ob.  A week can make a difference.  Good luck, I hope everything works out for the best.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Try the high risk board i think there are several iugr mommas there

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • At the risk of sounding stupid, what is IUGR?
    photo 978af5ba-08bb-4481-86d8-3ab82265c5c3_zpsc80d6cf2.jpg div align="center">photo f1bdfba8-890a-4221-be22-61d4a9f99eee_zps89ebc57e.jpg
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I am glad you got better answers!!! Hopefully baby can cook as long as he needs!!!
  • sisterindigosisterindigo member
    edited September 2013
    JLW0504 said:
    At the risk of sounding stupid, what is IUGR?
    Intra Uterine Growth Restriction.
    Basically my baby isn't growing at a normal rate. There's different causes for every woman, mine is just because I'm petite and I don't gain weight very well.
  • Ah, okay. Thanks:) I have the opposite going on. My LO is growing faster than she should. It kind of reminds me of the movie Jack with Robin Williams a little.
    photo 978af5ba-08bb-4481-86d8-3ab82265c5c3_zpsc80d6cf2.jpg div align="center">photo f1bdfba8-890a-4221-be22-61d4a9f99eee_zps89ebc57e.jpg
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• uhh my MFM is the one that ordered stress tests via my OB.  why isnt your high risk dr donig this as well, since clearly your OB is a moron (and what patient needs to convince their OWN dr to do extra monitoring when there is an obvious issue??)

• What's the rationale for taking him early? If the placenta is functioning well and he's small, why wouldn't they leave him for a bit?
    Daniel ~ October 21, 2013

• I am an iugr baby. My mom was older and after a crazy emergency delivery they discovered that her placenta was on a fibroid. Before delivery she was on strict bed rest. I was 2lbs 6 oz at birth but had 38 wk lungs. I was in the nicu for a month only because I needed to gain weight and be able to keep myself warm. Sounds like your baby is on the smallish side but nothing too crazy! And at a 39 wk section, he should do well! :)
    Due October 15, 2013 with a little boy we've named Zane Alexander! Siggy challenge oct: costume fails! Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • uhh my MFM is the one that ordered stress tests via my OB.  why isnt your high risk dr donig this as well, since clearly your OB is a moron (and what patient needs to convince their OWN dr to do extra monitoring when there is an obvious issue??)
    Answer: my OB is obviously incompetent. Since I'm simply NOT going to switch him though, I've been having copies of all my records sent to my PCM (I think I've mentioned before my husband works directly under her, and she's amazing, before she worked primary she was in l&d at the medical university) she's been helping me this week sort through a lot of the confusion. She's been more help than my OB, tbh. Also, I was low low risk until all this mess.

I've been reading IUGR stories and I feel optimistic. I'm already term and LO is estimated at 5lb5. Most women say they gave birth at or before 36, and their baby was only 3-4lbs with IUGR.
  • I am an iugr baby. My mom was older and after a crazy emergency delivery they discovered that her placenta was on a fibroid. Before delivery she was on strict bed rest. I was 2lbs 6 oz at birth but had 38 wk lungs. I was in the nicu for a month only because I needed to gain weight and be able to keep myself warm. Sounds like your baby is on the smallish side but nothing too crazy! And at a 39 wk section, he should do well! :)
    I'm so sorry, but I'm so glad everything worked out okay!
    We're talking induction instead of CS. There's no indication of stress and at full term he should do fine with vaginal delivery. I think the doctor called it a 'secondary' IUGR? I wanted to have a NUCB, and I still am hoping to keep it as close to that as (safely) possible. We'll see.

• EmJ&B said:
    What's the rationale for taking him early? If the placenta is functioning well and he's small, why wouldn't they leave him for a bit?
    That's kind of my thoughts exactly. If he's still gaining weight in there, why not let him stay and gain some weight. There's no explanation as to why he's so tiny though.
  • You do realize that this is your body, your baby, and your decision, right? No OB can 'make' you go forward with and induction or a C/S. If your NSTs are coming back positive and you feel confident and your second and third opinions support that your baby is fine - make the choice that YOU believe is right for you.

• i don't get you

• also, I am 5'9", my husband is much taller and my first baby was in the 15% at birth (two weeks 'late') and this baby is also below the 10%. Some people just grow more petite babies, consider yourself lucky: small heads.

• Glad you got your u/s, and sorry to hear LO is small. FWIW I had IUGR explained to me this way: if baby will grow faster outside of mom than inside, then baby should be delivered early. If it was me, I'd probably ask for another growth u/s before induction to check baby's growth rate. If baby is still growing well, then it'd give you reason to leave her alone. OTOH if she's not growing well, it justifies your decision. GL.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic   image
  • I'm glad you got some clearer answers today!
    April2014 Siggy Challenge - Bunnies
    imageimageimage     
    imageimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"