Attachment Parenting

Freaking out

My little guy is 16mo, and has MSPI and reflux. I took dairy and soy out of my diet when he was 2 weeks old and have been nursing him since. He sees an allergist, who recommended nursing until 2 before we try to introduce anything back. He takes Prevacid too.

For the past week he has been waking at least 6 times per night, screaming and arching his back. He's not a good sleeper at all, and sleeps with us. But his usual is 2-3 wake ups. He won't even nurse when he wakes screaming, and won't take a paci.

The allergist wants me to try Elecare formula, a special hypoallergenic formula. I'm freaking out! He nurses to sleep still, and won't go to sleep for anyone else if I'm in the house. He still nurses a couple times at night too. Plus, I'm on the verge of tears thinking about having to give up breast feeding and our bonding time so suddenly. I am just really sad right now.

Re: Freaking out

• My son did this too, on and off for a couple months.  He was also allergic to milk so I couldn't have any dairy, including cheese, yogurt, and milk protein for a year.  If you've been careful of what you're eating (always check ingredients, even juices for the Milk/Whey Protein), then like my son, maybe he has an early version of Night Terrors. 

Remember, no matter how bad it seems today, it won't last forever.  Good luck Mama.

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm very vigilant with our foods. We don't eat at restaurants, and he does not go to day care. I check every store bought item, even if I've had it before, just in case they changed it. That's why I don't understand why he would start this all of a sudden.
  • Loading the player...
  • Sounds to me like it's not a food issue then.  For the baby night terrors that my son fought with, my pedi recommended waking him slightly a half hour before the episode would start (happened about the same time every night).  She said that interrupting the sleep cycle would break that pattern, and it actually did work.  I would hate for you to give up BF alrady, so maybe try this for a few nights before changing to formula.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks. It doesn't fit with night terrors though. It's multiple episodes every night, he keeps his eyes closed, and he doesn't thrash. I'm still going to pump until we know what's going on.
  • Does he need an increase in his prevacid dose? Ds still has bad reflux at over 2.5yrs and we've had to up his prevacid periodically over the years. It sounds like a flare-up. Could he also be aspirating?
    imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I don't think just b/c his eyes are closed means that it's not a night terror. I would explore that possibility some more. GL.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"