School-Aged Children

How can I explain this to my 8 year old about Christmas??

Hopefully this isn't a crazy question...but up until now, we have always tried to give our 8 year old what he asked for for Christmas.  We love that he still believes in Santa, as we know that could not be the case soon since he already has kids in his class saying there is no Santa.  So up until now, we try to always get what he specifically asks for on his wishlist (his wishlist has always been very reasonable with only 1 big item on it).  But now that he is 8, his wishlist has suddenly become a little more in demand, lol...and with all the expensive electronics he is asking for a bit much since he is aware of the 'Santa will bring me whatever is on my wishlist' concept now.  Obviously I am not going to buy him an Xbox, Playstation and an iPad like he wants.  But I want to tell him not to expect those things because Santa cannot buy all those things.  I have tried to explain that but he is not getting it and keeps saying that yes he will because Santa always brings him what he asks for if he is good.  I said that Santa could not buy all those things because there were a lot of less fortunate kids out there that Santa had to buy for.  Then I tried saying that Santa will only buy ONE "big item".  He seemed to take that okay.  For some reason I am just having a hard time explaining this!!  Any other suggestions? 

Re: How can I explain this to my 8 year old about Christmas??

• I don't understand why you are persisting in explaining it to him. Stop!!  When Christmas day comes he will get whatever you choose to buy him and there is no need to go into a long explanation.   
  • When DS was 5 he asked Santa for a Nintendo DS and I said "I'm not sure Santa gives expensive toys like that."  He replied with "Why not?  His elves can make it a lot cheaper than you can buy it in the store."  LOL.

So anyway, I would just go with your last explanation - Santa will only buy one big item.  He has millions of kids to buy for.  And leave it at that.  It sounds like in the past there was only one big item on the list so this should make sense to him.

• Loading the player...
  • I have also had this conversation.  I just said, "Well, when you were a little boy, Santa brought you everything because you didn't ask for as much.  Now that you're bigger, you know about more stuff, and you know of more things to wish for.  But Santa is mysterious.  He usually only brings one really big thing to each kid. He knows it's not really good for kids to get ALL the electronic devices they want at one time.  Of your big wishes, which one do you think you want the most?  Maybe you should wish for that one extra hard so that Santa knows which one is most important to you."

It was fine.  My son, who just turned 9, is starting to be skeptical about Santa, but he has stated that he "still WANTS to believe." Going through this in-between phase is normal for kids this age. I think it's okay to inject some reality into the whole "Santa" thing when they're older.  Not enough reality to give away the truth to a kid who is not ready, but enough so that you're not tied to making every wish come true every.single.year. 

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • We always tell them that Santa brings one thing from their list, Why?, "because Santa needs to have enough to give to all the other boys and girls, he only give them one toy each to each child". The end. 
  • IMO, you're trying to complicate things for yourself.  If your kiddo has more questions, that's one thing, but all you need to do is say what you have and leave it at that!  You don't need to give an adult explanation for a kid topic.  Plus it makes the story harder to stand by later LOL
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • -auntie- said:
    Am I the only one here who thinks an eight who believes in Santa is credible? Most typically developing kids this age I know, know the jig is up.
    My daughter is 7 1/2 and I can guarantee you, she believes.  Her BFF has told her santa isn't real, and she tells me "I know she's joking- of course he's real!".. she's not pulling anything over me, she isn't like that.  She believes in santa and the tooth fairy still.  For some strange reason, the Easter Bunny has gone out the window and she says "that's a person dressed up, mom" .. I dunno what makes her believe in some and not others.  I'm sure the time is coming soon, but it isn't here yet and I'm surely not rushing it.  Kids grow up too fast as it is.
    E+C
    (+ hers and his, ages 13 & 8)
    TTC
  • -auntie- said:
    Am I the only one here who thinks an eight who believes in Santa is credible? Most typically developing kids this age I know, know the jig is up.

My DS is 8 and as of last Christmas still believed.  Last year he was in 2nd grade and there were only two non-believers in his class and the rest of the kids were still very much into Santa.

He goes to a small Catholic school, and the kids write letters to Santa at school, and actually get letters back from Santa's elves (it is actually his prayer partner from an older grade but he truly believes it is from his elf).  Somehow most of the kids he is close friends with are first borns or only children, so I really think that has something to do with it.  No older kids to blow the surprise.

• Yes he definitely still believes in Santa.  He has had a kid or 2 in class tell him "his parents were Santa" but he didn't believe him luckily.  Probably kids with older siblings doing this.  I don't think he is pulling one over on me.  When he does something bad (or good) and I didn't see it, he will ask me to ask Santa if he has been good enough to be on the nice list.  We do the north pole video every year too and I can tell he still believes.  I am sure next year may very well be a different story but I will still always teach him "you only receive when you believe" :-)  because he has younger siblings and I want to be sure he doesnt ruin it for them once he does realize there is no santa.
  • -auntie- said:
    My husband still believed until 12/13ish. His dad was a huge Christmas person--he made a big deal of it and made sure everyone still believed. Hid the gifts at neighbors/etc. My DH was skeptical but no matter how much he searched couldn't find a trace of any present--so he kept on believing. Unfortunately his dad passed away when he was in 7th grade--and Christmas was never the same after that, so he just realized the truth then.

I am teacher and I GUARANTEE you that the majority of the class that celebrates Christmas still believes in 3rd grade. In 4th and 5th is when it starts to drop. 
    My daughter is my hero.
  • We just do the whole, Santa will leave you what Mommy and Daddy say is okay. We don't think you need an iPad yet, so Santa won't go against our rules.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My 8 year old still believes. But he's so literal in his thinking that he very well may believe until we tell him.
    Blake 04/29/05 Will 06/12/07 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I can't help with the Santa thing since we are Jewish and don't believe but we have always told my kids that we only spend a certain amount of money on gifts (and we limit it to about $50) so what they get depends on what they ask it - it might be 4 toys or 1 thing.  We really limit what they get as they just don't need a lot of stuff.  
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • In our house Santa buys all the filler gifts and we get the big ticket item for her. That way we get the glory selfish I know but it is so rare when we get the win lol .

• In my house and my house growing up Santa brought little things.   Things that we wanted but still little.   The big gift was from our parents.  Why should Santa get the credit?

A kiss he will never forget- Disney World 2014

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"