Babies: 9 - 12 Months

Car Seat

So it's probably about time we started looking at a convertible car seat.  We're still using the Peg Perigo that's good until he's 30 lbs and LO probably isn't much more than 20 at this point, but it's getting heavier and heavier as I take it in and out of the car with him in it.

Any suggestions?

Re: Car Seat

• You don't *have* to take it in and out of the car, right? You can just take him in and out of the car?

But, we have a Britax Marathon that DD1 really likes. It's cozy, spacious and all that good stuff for DD1. However, we did end up switching to the Radian RXT for both girls, because we are able to put them side by side, and free up another seat in the car for anyone that may be riding along. It also is much easier to air travel with.

• You don't *have* to take it in and out of the car, right? You can just take him in and out of the car?

But, we have a Britax Marathon that DD1 really likes. It's cozy, spacious and all that good stuff for DD1. However, we did end up switching to the Radian RXT for both girls, because we are able to put them side by side, and free up another seat in the car for anyone that may be riding along. It also is much easier to air travel with.
    We live in an apartment right now (buying a home next month), so it's easiest to get to the car and back using the carseat/stroller.  When we're out and about it stays in the car (unless we're using the stroller).
  • Loading the player...

We live in an apartment right now (buying a home next month), so it's easiest to get to the car and back using the carseat/stroller.  When we're out and about it stays in the car (unless we're using the stroller).
    Yeah but, when you switch to the convertible you'll have no choice but to carry him without the seat anyway so what's the difference, really?  You might consider maxing out the seat you have just so that you get the most use out of it and the one you'll need to buy next.
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Please go to car-seat.org or car seats for the littles (face book group) and do some research.  All carseats sold in the US have to pass the same minimum safety regs and so the best seat for you is the one that fits your budget, child, car and life.  

I suggest you do some personal research on the benifits of extended rear facing (erf) and look at what seats will fit best in your car.  I can make lots of suggestions but would rather you consult a carseat tech (many on the two sites I listed).  If you ask what people like you will hear a lot of britax, radian (diono), peg pergo - these are all good seats for the right situation / car / baby.  They all have different pros / cons and there is a lot to consider.

If you want to hear what I have and why I'm happy to share but I dont' want to push my views on you :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Nicb13 said:

We have a Britax Marathon 70-G3 and like it a lot.

Same here love it.

image     image
  • elmoali said:
    Yeah but, when you switch to the convertible you'll have no choice but to carry him without the seat anyway so what's the difference, really?  You might consider maxing out the seat you have just so that you get the most use out of it and the one you'll need to buy next.
    I'd prefer not to take the seat out every time.  Sometimes I just want to grab him, or use the smaller stroller I can keep in my car.  

I've looked at carseat.org and not found it very helpful for me.  Just looking for what others like.  We'll be going into the stores to look ourselves, but didn't want to go in without any idea what to look for. 
  • We have the Britax Marathon 70 as well. Love it

• elmoali said:
    I'd prefer not to take the seat out every time.  Sometimes I just want to grab him, or use the smaller stroller I can keep in my car.  

I've looked at carseat.org and not found it very helpful for me.  Just looking for what others like.  We'll be going into the stores to look ourselves, but didn't want to go in without any idea what to look for. 
    Have you tried goign to car-seat.org and searching by car make, model, year and seeing what comes up?  They recommend based on car.

I'm rear facing as long as possible (my goal is four as that is when the spine ossifies) - so I went with the diono radian R100 - they are pricey but they rear face a LONG time and then forward face even longer.  A lot of the newer britaxs have shorter shells and therefore do not rear face as long.  (there are a few models that do pretty well though - I'm not as schooled on which is which anymore).  My brother had to buy 3 seats when it was all said and done because his daughter grew out of the seat rear facing (britax roundabout) and then the 2nd seat (sorry dont' remember what it was) - didn't work forward facing when they turned her.  They then got a nautalis (forward facing ONLY)
  • elmoali said:

I'm confused because that's exactly what I'm saying :)  Leave the seat in the car and take just the baby out of the bucket and put him in whatever stroller you want.  This is exactly what you'll be doing when you have a convertible and you can treat your bucket like a convertible but choosing NOT to take it out, kwim?

• Britax are great, but if your LO is high in the height percentages, this seat won't last you very long RF'ing.

The Chicco NextFit is awesome.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Emily 8.8.08
    Madeline 1.2.11
    William 8.5.12
  • elmoali said:
    elmoali said:

I'm confused because that's exactly what I'm saying :)  Leave the seat in the car and take just the baby out of the bucket and put him in whatever stroller you want.  This is exactly what you'll be doing when you have a convertible and you can treat your bucket like a convertible but choosing NOT to take it out, kwim?
    You should probably just stop...she's clearly not getting it. I tried to explain this concept a while back, people seem to think that since a bucket CAN be taken out,  you HAVE to take it out. Thanks for trying to be another voice of reason.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • jenikas said:
    elmoali said:
    elmoali said:

You should probably just stop...she's clearly not getting it. I tried to explain this concept a while back, people seem to think that since a bucket CAN be taken out,  you HAVE to take it out. Thanks for trying to be another voice of reason.
    LOL Yeah maybe I'll give up :-p

• we have the peg perego convertible and really like it!

Anniversary

TTC #2 since July 2014
    BFP 9/27/14
    MMC discovered 10/27/14, D&C 11/4/14
  • My LO is a long way from maxing out her car seat, so we are just using it like a convertible.  We only take the bucket out if she is sleeping or we need to switch it to a different car.  It works great, I can pop her in a cart, carrier or stroller depending on where we are. 
    my read shelf:
    Erika's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) Oct Angel Babies Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We purchased the Safety 1st CompleteAir 65 and our LO is in the 90%in both height and weight. She loves her seat and looks very comfortable in it. If you are trying to somewhat budget and stay under$200 I think this one is a deal....we got ours at Baby Depot for $109.99 instead of $149-169 elsewhere!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker}
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker}
  • I stopped carrying DS in his infant seat when he reached 20 pounds. It just became too heavy. We will put him in the shopping cart seat if we go shopping or the stroller. We leave the seat in the car all the time now and never take it out.  
  • I purchased a Britax BOULEVARD 70-G3 for my daughter when she was approaching the 12m mark.  I am an extremely cautious parent when it comes to car seat safety.  I kept my daughter in her infant car seat until she was 14m and then used the Britax Boulevard rear facing until she was over 2 yrs old. She is now 2 1/2 and I just flipped her forward. I would highly recommend the use of a Britax convertible car seat for their high standards in safety testing and design to allow correct installation by parents. Plus, they come in very pretty fabrics and are comfortable to sit in. I personally picked out a pretty pink one which my daughter loves the color.  I’m a member of the Britax Safety Squad, but opinions expressed are my own. I just wanted to let you know how happy we are with the Britax Convertible set we purchased.

• We just bought the britax marathon and love it!
  • I agree--just keep using your current one and don't take the seat in and out of the car. That is what we do--I had thought about buying a convertible--but decided to wait as long as possible. I am pregnant with number two and REALLY do not like carrying the seat around---so I use it as a convertible. We only keep an umbrella stroller in the car and have not used the snap n go in months. 
    I am having trouble updating tickers--But I am due on April 2015. I have 2 older step children: 9 and 14 yrs and I also recently had 2 younger children: 2 years and 1 year... so this means I will be having 3 under 3--and trying to fit our family of 7 into our minivan--eek!

PitaPata Dog tickers
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Thanks for the feedback everyone.  So far, we are going the route of keeping it in the car and just using the stroller to get back and forth from the apartment.  We move tomorrow to our first home, so after that, even less of an issue with having to use a stroller every time we go to the car!
  • We had chicco kefit 30 and now have the chicco nexfit
  • I love love love our Graco My Ride 65 LX.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Started Dating 03/04/2007 ~ Got Engaged 04/23/2010 ~ Said "I Do" 03/19/2011

Started TTC #1 11/2011 ~ BFP #1 03/28/2012-EDD 12/02/2012 ~

Greyson was Born by Unplanned C-Section on 11/20/2012 @ 8lbs 9oz 21 inhces

Started TTC #2 07/2013 ~ BFP #2 10/11/2013-EDD based on growth is June 26th

Liam born by Repeat C-Section on June 20, 2014 @ 8lbs 2oz 20.75 inches

• My car is tiny and with the infant seat it was difficult to get him in and out without taking the whole infant seat out. It was irritating but DS is 98 percentile for height a d weight so I switched to convertible at 6 months. We got the Diono Radian 120 and I love it. It fits well in my tiny car (Toyota yaris).
  • Dino radians are my favorite.
  • We have the Safety 1st CompleteAir 65. DD seems to really like it and is really comfortable in it.

• We just got the Chicco Nextfit.  It is one of the recommended seats that allow for rear facing longer than a Britax could.  
  • We use the chicco keyfit 30 for infant seat. LO is nowhere near 30 pounds but will max out the height restriction of 30 inches soon. We recently got the graco my size 70 (also called graco size4me 70 or graco headwise, depending on where it is sold or when it came out). I really like it. It adjusts like the chicco nexfit and will work longer rear facing and it is about $100 cheaper than the chicco nexfit. Hope this helps :)
  • I'm pregnant with #2 and will only be using a convertible this time around. I hated lugging that seat around, especially after a c-section. I have 2 Britax Boulevards and a Britax Advocate. Love them both dearly. My daughter is very tall (100% on the curve) and I have zero problems with her in either seat. I'm a member if the Britax safety squad. I love to share my opinions and experiences with other moms. Oh, you coud always baby wear instead of dealing with a stroller! Hth!
  • We have a Diono Radian. It's pretty awesome. RF until 45lbs and FF until 120. It also turns into a booster, so it's the last carseat we'll need to but barring any accidents.
  • I have a Britax Marathon in my Jeep and DH has the Britax Roundabout in his car.  The Marathon is a bit nicer, seems more plush, nicer straps, little things really.  The Roundabout is still nice, just a step down, but it's cheaper so that would make sense.  I got the nicer seat for my car since LO will be in it more.  I think both seats are great. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"