February 2013 Moms

Stupid question...

If you don't still use an infant car seat for your LO, what do you do with them when you go out? While I don't really like lugging DD around in the infant seat, if I'm going somewhere by myself and need two hands (grocery or clothes shopping), I need to take that along because I have nowhere else to put her. I know some people babywear, but that's not for us; my back is very sensitive and my neck/shoulders often ache without baby wearing. She can sit in the front of some carts just fine, but she's too petite for others and slides down which makes her uncomfortable and fussy. Plus, a lot of clothing stores don't have carts, so then I'd have nowhere to put her if I didn't have the infant seat.
I feel like this is a stupid question, but I've been thinking about it a lot lately since she'll probably soon outgrow the length limits on the infant seat.
PCOS with long, irregular cycles
First round of Clomid in May 2012= BFP #1, DD born January 2013 
BFP #2 in January 2014, DS born September 2014

View Full Size Image     View Full Size Image   

Re: Stupid question...

• ...... a stroller?
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • A stroller. We have multiple depending on the situation.
  • Loading the player...

• Karla CS said:
    ...... a stroller?
    Pushing around a stroller plus a shopping cart doesn't sound very doable to me.... and I guess the reason I didn't want to use a stroller in a clothes store is because the racks are usually pretty close together, so I can just see myself getting stuck or knocking things down. But I don't think there's any other way to do it.

• Any store should be set up so that the space between racks is at least large enough for a person in a wheel chair to get through. You know, that whole ADA concept that makes thinks safe and accessible for handicap people. As long as you're not trying to use a BOB in a store, you should be fine. 
  • This!! The umbrella stroller works great for shopping at stores as does my Britax which is wide set. You can try a blanket surrounding her in shopping carts. It worked for us in the beginning.
  • I would honestly revisit baby wearing. My back feels better when I'm carrying DS in a ergo than when I'm just carrying him. I can stand up straighter and the weight seems better distributed. Also, two handed grocery shopping FTW. If I'm doing clothing shopping and need to try things on I do the stroller.
    This. If I were you, I would give an Ergo a try. The Baby Björn we used to have (I know, I know, no BBs, but I didn't know that at the time) would kill my neck and shoulders, but the Ergo makes it so much easier to carry DD2. Really, it's much better on my back to have her in the Ergo than to have her in my arms. Maybe you can borrow one from a friend for a few days and see how it works for you?

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
    BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
    BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

• Thanks for the replies everyone! Honestly, I completely forgot we had an umbrella stroller until now (we tried it a few months ago but DD was way too small at that time, and it's just been sitting in her closet ever since). The only baby wearing I've ever done so far was with my K'tan, and while I do like it, I think it might be worth trying something else like an Ergo or Boba to reduce strain on my back.
    See, I told you it was a stupid question....  :P

• Google "infantino upright shopping cart cover." It's a little pricey, but I bought it for my guy bc he is also too small for the carts...it has pillows on the back and sides and works great for us.
    PCOS 
    Off bcp March 2011 
    Aug 2011-Feb 2012 tried to regulate cycles w/ Metformin -- no luck 
    April 2012: Clomid (50mg) + Injects + TI = BFN
    May 2012: Clomid (100mg) + Injects + TI = BFP on 6/8/12   

Lilypie - (74ba)
  • kleigh926 said:
    Thanks for the replies everyone! Honestly, I completely forgot we had an umbrella stroller until now (we tried it a few months ago but DD was way too small at that time, and it's just been sitting in her closet ever since). The only baby wearing I've ever done so far was with my K'tan, and while I do like it, I think it might be worth trying something else like an Ergo or Boba to reduce strain on my back.
    See, I told you it was a stupid question....  :P
    Not a stupid question at all. Especially with the baby-wearing, I also thought it was just part of the game that it hurt your neck and shoulders because the Baby Björn did. I thought the women on my bmb with DD1 were crazy who wore their babies all the time, or I thought they must have been blessed with backs of steel. Then I decided to try an Ergo and realized that it can be quite comfortable. I can even wear DD1 on my back in the Ergo for long periods of time with no strain. She's a small 2.5 year old, but she's still 25 lbs.

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP

• DC2London said:

Karla CS said:

Any store should be set up so that the space between racks is at least large enough for a person in a wheel chair to get through. You know, that whole ADA concept that makes thinks safe and accessible for handicap people. As long as you're not trying to use a BOB in a store, you should be fine. 

Tell that to Kohl's.

Yes... actually, Kohl's was one of the stores that I was thinking about when I wrote this. There's also a thrift store I like to go to that has very narrow spaces between racks. I MIGHT be able to maneuver my umbrella stroller around, but I can't see how any wheelchair or bigger stroller would be able to make it through.

• MBush4MBush4 member
    edited September 2013
    Well, if you can't wear her in a carrier or use a stroller or put her in a cart... You could always leave her home with DH so you could run your errands. Just an idea.

Daisypath - (2EEx)

Lilypie - (CszI)

• Karla CS said:
    Any store should be set up so that the space between racks is at least large enough for a person in a wheel chair to get through. You know, that whole ADA concept that makes thinks safe and accessible for handicap people. As long as you're not trying to use a BOB in a store, you should be fine. 
    Have you ever been in the baby section at Target? I always bang the cart into fifty things trying to maneuver through there. If they pass the margins for making it handicap accessible, it has to be by millimeter.

To answer original poster's question, I have had DD in a convertible seat since she was born. I carry her with or without my ergo. If I'm trying on clothes, I'm ok with letting her sit on the floor of the fitting room and playing with her toys. But then again she hasn't started crawling yet, so it might be another story once she does. But, if you said you have a bad back, I would second the stroller, or could you get one of those shopping cart cushions? They may hold your LO more upright in the carts that are too open.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm not sure where you ladies are, but the Kohls and Target near me are pretty maneuverable with the shopping cart or stroller... You could always bring up a complaint with the store manager for not being more accessible.

Daisypath - (2EEx)

Lilypie - (CszI)

• MBush4 said:

Well, if you can't wear her in a carrier or use a stroller or put her in a cart... You could always leave her home with DH so you could run your errands. Just an idea.

Right, but I usually try to run errands during the day in order to keep DD occupied. Since I'm almost a FT SAHM, we easily run out of things to do and going places entertains her. If my DH is available he usually comes with us anyway, and then it doesn't matter because one of us can hold her if needed while the other one shops.
    I'm sure it won't be long before she can sit in a shopping cart without a problem :)

• Then maybe stay home until she can sit up on her own? Honestly, the days I am home with DS I go out 90% of the time. It's doable. Promise.

Daisypath - (2EEx)

Lilypie - (CszI)

• MBush4 said:

Then maybe stay home until she can sit up on her own? Honestly, the days I am home with DS I go out 90% of the time. It's doable. Promise.

It's fine.... she still fits in her infant car seat and I'm sure she'll be able to sit in a cart before she grows out of it... and in stores where there are no carts I can probably use my umbrella stroller now. It seems like you think I'm more worked up about this than I am? I was just wondering what other people did when they go out.

• Well, your responses did make you seem a bit despondent...

Daisypath - (2EEx)

Lilypie - (CszI)

• MBush4 said:
    Well, your responses did make you seem a bit despondent...
    Lol. No, I'm not despondent. I just wondered what people did in the grocery store who didn't use an infant seat or babywear, because using a stroller didn't seem practical to me while also pushing a cart. I thought maybe I was missing something. I'm not going to stay home all day, everyday because of it.

• Ok here is something I thought of just for you. Next time you go grocery shopping take a rope. Tie the rope to the shopping cart then tie the other end to the stroller. Then you can push the stroller and drag the shopping cart behind. Just make sure the rope isn't too long or the cart will run into things (believe me you dont want that happening)

As for shopping at stores with narrow aisles just leave the baby in the stroller in a wider aisle I'm sure you are tall enough to see over the racks to check on her every few minutes.
    Hope that helps! I know how hard it is to figure out how to do things alone (I'm a single mom).
  • DC2London said:
    https://www.floppyseat.com/
    We have ^that seat and we love it. It is padded enough that we can use it from a really young age.

Not a stupid question at all. I've wondered this also and feel like I'm the awkward in between, where she's still in the infant seat but it's sooo difficult to lug that thing around!! Sorry to butt in here, but DC - I have a floppy seat too (got it with you!) and I love it!! But - how do you use it when you're alone?! Are you just good at it now and can do it one handed?? I've used it, but only with DH so one of us can hold her and the other puts it on. I'd have this question with ANY cover, not just this one lol. Like at Giant, and the carts are far away, you can't just park next to one so you'd have to carry LO to a cart at the store front, then install the cover. Maybe I'm over thinking it?!

• Ok here is something I thought of just for you. Next time you go grocery shopping take a rope. Tie the rope to the shopping cart then tie the other end to the stroller. Then you can push the stroller and drag the shopping cart behind. Just make sure the rope isn't too long or the cart will run into things (believe me you dont want that happening) As for shopping at stores with narrow aisles just leave the baby in the stroller in a wider aisle I'm sure you are tall enough to see over the racks to check on her every few minutes. Hope that helps! I know how hard it is to figure out how to do things alone (I'm a single mom).
    Uh... what? I don't even know how to respond to this. The solution to this "problem" might be easy for some people, but I feel like I'm in an in between stage with her being too petite and not having enough upper body strength to sit up in a cart. Plus, I'm not sure I want to spend $100+ on a baby carrier since we are essentially working with one income right now.
    And as a single mom, I'm sure you can understand that.

• Ok here is something I thought of just for you. Next time you go grocery shopping take a rope. Tie the rope to the shopping cart then tie the other end to the stroller. Then you can push the stroller and drag the shopping cart behind. Just make sure the rope isn't too long or the cart will run into things (believe me you dont want that happening) As for shopping at stores with narrow aisles just leave the baby in the stroller in a wider aisle I'm sure you are tall enough to see over the racks to check on her every few minutes. Hope that helps! I know how hard it is to figure out how to do things alone (I'm a single mom).
    I've seen one of these on Etsy! It's made to be a specific length to avoid the risk of the baby (or mom, if you're clumsy!) getting caught up in the tether between the cart and the stroller. Even better, it is 100% organic and made of hemp, so it's good for the environment!
  • @adamsabigail14- maybe I misunderstood you. I have never heard of the rope thing and I thought you were being catty or something. I'm sorry if that wasn't the case.

• Karla CS said:

Ok here is something I thought of just for you. Next time you go grocery shopping take a rope. Tie the rope to the shopping cart then tie the other end to the stroller. Then you can push the stroller and drag the shopping cart behind. Just make sure the rope isn't too long or the cart will run into things (believe me you dont want that happening)

As for shopping at stores with narrow aisles just leave the baby in the stroller in a wider aisle I'm sure you are tall enough to see over the racks to check on her every few minutes.
    Hope that helps! I know how hard it is to figure out how to do things alone (I'm a single mom).

I've seen one of these on Etsy! It's made to be a specific length to avoid the risk of the baby (or mom, if you're clumsy!) getting caught up in the tether between the cart and the stroller. Even better, it is 100% organic and made of hemp, so it's good for the environment!

Yep thats where I got mine Karla! There's a promo code for moms on a budget too you should definitely try it Kleigh! It's been such a life saver! There's also these sling things you can hang on the shower head for moms to put babies in while they take a shower! Great for moms who don't know what to do with baby at shower time.
    Yep thats where I got mine Karla! There's a promo code for moms on a budget too you should definitely try it Kleigh! It's been such a life saver! There's also these sling things you can hang on the shower head for moms to put babies in while they take a shower! Great for moms who don't know what to do with baby at shower time.
    We loved our shower sling, but A is getting so wiggly now and her thighs are too chunky to safely fit anymore :( I'm looking for some kind of contraption so that she can play in the water at the bottom of the shower without toppling over like she's sometimes prone to doing. 
  • I learned about 2 New baby contraptions in this thread that I had absolutely no idea existed beforehand. Good luck kleigh! It's also say try her in the cart. Ds surprised me and was able to do it sooner than I would have thought. He was a little wobbly, but he held on like a champ and as long as I didn't take the corners too fast he was fine :-)
    Yeah, I learned some new stuff too! Thanks everyone for posing links and ideas!

• DC2London said:
    kleigh, I have actually seen moms in the grocery store pushing the stroller and pulling a cart, one hand on each.  It's not unheard of, it just isn't quite ideal.

Also, @TheNewMrsY, I often shop by one of the little cart corral things, even if I have to park far away.  I open the van doors and leave both kids in the van, buckled in, while I grab a cart (I have the keys with me).  Then I either put Rhys in the cart seat and then let Jack out, or I get Jack into the cart seat and then put Rhys into the carrier.

Exactly the problem with Giant - they don't have the cart corrals! Whaa?! Haha. Ill just stop by one of the other many grocery stores when I have her :). Every other place has them so that's what I figured I'd do. I just have to stop by the grocery way more times than I'd like!

• kelly321 said:

Not a stupid question at all. Especially with the baby-wearing, I also thought it was just part of the game that it hurt your neck and shoulders because the Baby Björn did. I thought the women on my bmb with DD1 were crazy who wore their babies all the time, or I thought they must have been blessed with backs of steel. Then I decided to try an Ergo and realized that it can be quite comfortable. I can even wear DD1 on my back in the Ergo for long periods of time with no strain. She's a small 2.5 year old, but she's still 25 lbs.
    E's too big and bulky to put in my Moby any more but I'm still too fat to use the backpack we have.  Plus it was NEVER comfortable for me with DD.  What makes the Ergo different?
                    We're Going to be a Family of 5!

Lilypie - (PaHE) Lilypie - (4noI)

Lilypie - (2q9u)

• The k'tan made my neck and shoulders ache and I don't usually have issues so I am sure it was killing you. I switched to the ergo and bam, feeling much better!! I highly recommend it. I use that when I have a cart and when I don't, I push my giant BOB and just ram into anything in my way :)
     Image and video hosting by TinyPic      image
    View Full Size Image

• I push a big double stroller for the twins and haven't had any issues in stores. May be a tight squeeze but it works.
    As for grocery shopping I have to put the infant car seat in the basket and one baby in the front seat. Can't do a huge shopping trip but I can fit plenty around the seat and on the bottom rack. Plus you would have the seat open to put food.
  • I made a mai tai, which is easier on the back, but the other day I tied my ring sling around C in the shopping cart instead of the seat belt! It worked great!  I also saw this https://thekangaboo.com/

Taking a ride in his new Kanga Boo

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Okay, I should read first.  Someone else already had the link. :)  The fabric tied around him (ring sling) worked well too though (and cheaper - just take a scarf.)

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • TamaraR4 said:
    kelly321 said:

E's too big and bulky to put in my Moby any more but I'm still too fat to use the backpack we have.  Plus it was NEVER comfortable for me with DD.  What makes the Ergo different?
    I don't have a Moby, so I can't do a direct comparison, but all I can tell you is that the way the Ergo is designed does a good job of distributing baby's weight so they're not essentially hanging from your shoulders. That was the problem with the Baby Björn, I though. Even though the newer versions also have a support strap around your lower back, I didn't feel like it actually did much to place any of the weight there. The Ergo does.

Several people on this thread have mentioned having back/neck/shoulder pain with other carriers but not with the Ergo, so I know it's not just maybe. It might be worth a try for those of you who haven't yet! (I promise I don't work for Ergo ;-))

• kleigh926 said:
    @adamsabigail14- maybe I misunderstood you. I have never heard of the rope thing and I thought you were being catty or something. I'm sorry if that wasn't the case.
    I thought she was being sarcastic, too, at first. :-) And FWIW, I just can't do a stroller and a cart at the same time. I find shopping with the girls stressful anyway, but trying to manage that in narrow European shopping aisles is just too much. I prefer to go more often and buy less so that it fits in an arm-held basket and I can either put the bags in the stroller underneath the seat or hang it on the handlebars (or my shoulders) on the way home. I walk to the grocery store, so it makes sense.
    My preference, though, is to find a time when I can shop and DH can watch the girls. Much less stressful.

• I save my shopping trips for the week so DD will have to come. I love it! Entertainment for her and adult interaction for me. Win, win!
     Image and video hosting by TinyPic      image
    View Full Size Image

• DC2London said:
    I like taking the kids out to the market.  Does that make me weird?
    If you're weird, then I'm weird too! Thursdays are grocery shopping days and I look forward to them because it gives us something to do! And sometimes DH and I will save shopping trips for other things specifically for week nights. She gets crankier in the evenings unless she's occupied, so it's a way to keep her happy before bed.

• DC2London said:

I like taking the kids out to the market.  Does that make me weird?

No! I take the kids our with me every time too. And DH. Going shopping is one of those few family outings we have, lol.
                    We're Going to be a Family of 5!

Lilypie - (PaHE) Lilypie - (4noI)

Lilypie - (2q9u)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"