Toddlers: 24 Months+

Balance bike vs. training wheels

Can someone explain the benefits of the balance bike vs. a bike with training wheels to me? We're considering which one to purchase DS for his next birthday. I'm not familiar with the balance bikes besides hearing about them on here so I'm just looking for input on which way to go. Thanks!

Re: Balance bike vs. training wheels

• I can't really explain the benefits of a balance bike, so we just went straight to a bike with training wheels. I figured he could use it longer.
  • Our neighbor's kids all used balance bikes....for all the reason mentioned above.   They all learned to ride a 2 wheel bike with no training wheels by 3.5 years old.  With that said, our DD has a balance bike and doesn't show much interest in it yet, but she just turned 2. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • DS cannot get a handle on pedaling when he tries a training wheels bike.  
    He can fly along in his balance bike and loves it.  
    image image

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Love love love our Strider balance bike. I see it as an alternative to a tricycle or big wheel.

With learning to ride a bike, there are two pieces, balance and pedaling. Pedaling is the easy one. Training wheels teach kids to pedal and give them really bad habits with balance. My almost 3 year old flies on his balance bike and is ready for a bike with pedals now. We will never go through the training wheel stage. We have friends who moved their kids from Striders to regular bikes and it was no big deal. The kids were ready and never needed the training wheels. It took all of 10 minutes. Next Spring, our son will be getting a 16" bike without training wheels that should last 5 years.

If you google strider bmx races, you will see some amazing preschoolers.

A big bonus, the Strider is under 7 pounds. Some of those training wheel bikes are like 35 pounds. It is crazy. Can't imagine putting my kid on or having to carry around a 30+ pound bike.
  • Spawn cycles also makes a very cool but expensive balance bike.
  • Thanks for the input! I was looking at the Chicco balance bike just because it's cheaper than the others but wasn't sure how it compared to Strider or other brands.
  • I got my Strider for $50 at Sierra Trading Post with a coupon. Their email coupons are great.

The Spawn Tenth is crazy fancy and has breaks for like $250. Overkill for most, but nice for those when money is no object.

The Strider was everything we needed. My advice is to buy the lightest weight one you can within your budget. It can be hard to learn on something that weighs as much as you do.
  • Oh, just a heads up that my boy walked the bike everywhere for like 2 months. Then oneday he started coasting just a little. Then as he got more confident, he started taking off. Seriously he can turn on a dime and do some pretty impressive hills and bumps now. My husband and I have never ridden with him, so it is all the balance bike.
  • cpmichcpmich member
    edited September 2013
    If I were looking to spend less than on a Strider, I would pick the Radio Flyer over the Chicco because the Chicco forces kids to be too upright, making it harder than it needs to be.

This site has a good comparison if you scroll down.

https://www.twowheelingtots.com/2013/07/20/the-best-budget-balance-bike-chicco-red-bullet-vs-radio-flyer-vs-vilano/
  • When you pick a bike, make sure the seat goes low enough to be at least one inch below your toddler's inseam.
  • Strongly recommend Strider. Our son has been on one since 12 months. PPs are right - it's the combination of balancing and pedaling. We paid $99 for ours - but they can be adjusted as they get bigger. Ours weighs 6 lbs. I toss it in the trunk everywhere we go - it's great!
  • Strider does frequently show up on Zulily.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"