May 2013 Moms
Options

Oatmeal Cereal

So at LOs doctors appointment the other week I took notes too quickly and can't make sense of them now. Doctor said to start giving LO a few ounces of oatmeal cereal with breast milk or formula one time a day before the evening bottle/feeding. Once he has a good handle on that we can start Stage 1 baby food probably around 5 months. This is where I get lost though in my notes - if I feed him a couple ounces at first, how much do I increase the amount by each time and what is the most he should eventually be having? There's an amount on the container but I don't know if its okay for a 4 month old to eat that much. He surprisingly loved it and actually got mad when I stopped giving it to him but I didn't want to give him too much!

Re: Oatmeal Cereal

• Options

I never measured it, I just poured what looked like a good amount in a bowl and called it a day. Somedays I poured to much others not enough.

This

Also a good way I start introducing baby food is to mix a little in the oatmeal . One flavor at a time for a couple weeks to make sure there are no reactions to one type of food
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I called the doctor's office today about starting solids. They told us to start with a very small amount 2-3 teaspoons at a time, max. And that he should still be getting 26-40 oz of formula throughout the day. I think if we find that he's having too much formula still, we'll increase the cereal a little at a time.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    my pedi said, 1 tablespoon of oatmeal and make is soupy and then go to 2 tablespoons less soupy. Right now we are mixing 1 tablespoon with 2 oz of formula. He eats about 1/100 of it. LOL
    photo siggy_zpsf288824b.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Oh wow maybe I misunderstood my Dr! I thought she said 1-2 TBSP! That seems like a lot... She has not been eating that much but I guess I just figured that was a ballpark number. I may have to call to double check...
  • Options
    I just mix it in a bowl and make it soupy. LO doesn't eat much at all, but he loves to get it everywhere. He really loves blowing it off the spoon and watching it go everywhere.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    TTC #2:
    March - May 2014 - Natural cycles - no luck
    June 2014 - Clomid 50mg - BFN
    July 2014 - Clomid 50mg - BFN
    August 2014 - Clomid 50mg - BFN
    September 2014 - Clomid 50mg - Fingers crossed...

• Options
    We started with 1 TBSP-with breast milk..prob 2 oz or so so its soupy we then gradually made our way up to 2 TBSP and its thicker now more like malt o meal.  IT took a couple weeks for him to get the hang of it and start to like it. Now he cant get enough!
  • Options
    I've been there. We just moved down south and she told me to make it the consistency of grits. I just nodded my head and immediately went home and googled pictures of grits. I just eye ball it. I make thick enough he can tell something is there and to try and "chew". He absolutely loves it and loves the big boy spoon.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"